The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 April 2019, 03:53 PM   #1
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Watch trend.. What’s next? Downsizing? Dress watches?

I remember way before the Nautilus and Rolex sport watches hype, ppl are really into more dressy and complicated watches.. Now that we are deep into the sport watch hype and market price are over the unimaginable, will we see the return of the dressier watches?

Look at AP ROLEX and PP.. They are down sizing their watches as we speak.

Love to hear your thoughts.. I personally have been digging out a few of my 36-39mm watches from my safe and find them very enjoyable and refreshing.

Cheers and HAGWE!!

James
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 05:28 PM   #2
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Now that we are deep into the sport watch hype and market price are over the unimaginable, will we see the return of the dressier watches?
James
what's this "we" stuff ?

nothing could be more shallow and trendy for a well-seasoned watch enthusiast than to follow the hype and fixate on sports stuff. 34-36mm simple 3-handers and dress watches? bring them on! whenever we are out and about town and chat with some local watch enthusiast we can always sniff out a beginner as they immediately declare they are looking for a sub, gmt or daytona. yawn...
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:49 PM   #3
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
what's this "we" stuff ?

nothing could be more shallow and trendy for a well-seasoned watch enthusiast than to follow the hype and fixate on sports stuff. 34-36mm simple 3-handers and dress watches? bring them on! whenever we are out and about town and chat with some local watch enthusiast we can always sniff out a beginner as they immediately declare they are looking for a sub, gmt or daytona. yawn...
“We” I am referring to the general market trend.

Seems like I am your typical “beginner” since I sometime still look out on those models you mentioned especially in the vintage market (I am a rookie). I need lots of education from experienced seasoned collector’s advise like your good self for guidance.
Old 6 April 2019, 08:59 PM   #4
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
“We” I am referring to the general market trend.

Seems like I am your typical “beginner” since I sometime still look out on those models you mentioned especially in the vintage market (I am a rookie). I need lots of education from experienced seasoned collector’s advise like your good self for guidance.
apparently you missed the in my post. however your sarcasm is noted.

you may have also missed when i said "fixate on sports stuff". if as you say you sometimes still look out for those i would hardly describe you to fixate on them no?

you said in your opening post you would love to hear our thoughts so i gave mine. did you miss where i agreed with you on enjoying the smaller sized dress stuff? did i mistakenly understand your thread to be looking for opinions?
Old 6 April 2019, 09:52 PM   #5
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
I remember way before the Nautilus and Rolex sport watches hype, ppl are really into more dressy and complicated watches.. Now that we are deep into the sport watch hype and market price are over the unimaginable, will we see the return of the dressier watches?

Love to hear your thoughts.. I personally have been digging out a few of my 36-39mm watches from my safe and find them very enjoyable and refreshing.

Cheers and HAGWE!!

James
People sometimes predict this - I prefer small watches myself, I just don’t see it happening anytime soon, people want their watches big with recognizable shapes. Can’t say I see any evidence from the big brands, Rolex increased size for the new YM, the latest years Calatrava is 40 mm, VC has most dress watches at 40-43, AP’s new CODE is 41 mm. Nomos on the other hand introduced a new line with smaller watches though. Personally I prefer small watches, but I’m in the minority.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 10:00 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I have both now. 44mm Panerai and 36mm vintage Daydate when a little under-cuff discretion needed. Can’t see a trend forming yet, but things change eventually.
Old 6 April 2019, 11:04 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I don't think size on the watches is the next trend, it will be availability. What a novel concept, supply demand at msrp and let the market determine what people like. The supply the watches wanted by the consumers not what the manufactures want you to own.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 11:42 PM   #8
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Smaller watches are definitely more in than they were some years back. That doesn’t mean the pendulum has swung completely back, but you see fewer huge releases. Panerai resale has tanked. Fashion photos are showing a lot of vintage (and vintage sized) watches.

To take one watch I’ve been looking at lately, consider the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. They sell fine at the current size of 45mm, but look at the excitement for each “limited edition” that is the only way to get one in 40mm size. In the Rolex world, the DD40 seems dramatically more popular than the DD2 ever was.

There is strong demand for “normal” sized, not “oversized” watches. To me, “normal” size is something like 38mm-42mm for men.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 11:47 PM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
With due respect to the OP, I could care less about trends. They have no influence on my personal decisions on what watch is best for me. If my preferred watch is trending, so be it. If not, even better as the price and availability should reflect that.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 06:03 AM   #10
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Sorry guys I just found out this topic has already been discussed.. Here is the link if you are interested.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=666400

Thank you v much to all who have responded to my question!

Cheers! HAGWE
Old 7 April 2019, 12:08 PM   #11
jaroush
"TRF" Member

I bought a traditional dress watch. Rise gold with white face, Roman numerals, black crocodile strap. I love it. Classic.
jaroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 04:21 PM   #12
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Sorry guys I just found out this topic has already been discussed.. Here is the link if you are interested.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=666400

Thank you v much to all who have responded to my question!

Cheers! HAGWE
hey it's an interesting topic so it's good you reintroduced it. i enjoyed the responses so far and i agree that the "normal" size watches will always have their place within the enthusiast world!
Old 7 April 2019, 10:04 PM   #13
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:

Cheers and HAGWE!!

James
Rolex just introduced another 42mm watch, and so has other top manufacturers in the past few months ! 41mm-42mm watches are here to stay, but manufacturers will also have smaller choices so all will be satisfied.

“Smaller watch” threads are plentiful, yet 42mm sells, and companies introduce more.

Old 7 April 2019, 11:12 PM   #14
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
“Smaller watch” threads are plentiful, yet 42mm sells, and companies introduce more.

I can’t speak for everyone else, but 42mm is within the range that I think most people would consider normal. I don’t see many people suggesting we’re going back to 32mm or 34mm as the most common size for men, but the 45mm, 50mm, 55mm+ watches that every random brand was launching during the Panerai craze are not coming either.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 11:52 PM   #15
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Rolex just introduced another 42mm watch, and so has other top manufacturers in the past few months ! 41mm-42mm watches are here to stay, but manufacturers will also have smaller choices so all will be satisfied.

Well honestly I do like bigger watches myself however, if the watch is originally designed to be certain size i rather it keep to the true sizing. IMHO personally i think the 15400 is a little out of proportion compared to 15202. The offshore however are perfect since they are specifically designed to be 42 and also i particularly love the AP ROO44 very much and i own a few pieces too.

It is not easy to get the upsizing right.. in Rolex case.. the DD40 is a winner.

PS i just bought a 60mm hiking watch .. the Casio Rangeman Magma Ocean.
Old 8 April 2019, 12:57 AM   #16
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Downsized my collection to fewer watches. All of them are smaller in size. My philosophy is simple: fly under the radar. If I cannot put a watch under a sleeve, it is probably not for me. Exception—dive equipment.