The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 May 2009, 01:06 AM   #1
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Longines Legend Diver Review

Background
The origins of this watch date back to the 1950’s when deep sea exploration was still a new frontier. A series of manned submersible vessels called bathyscaphes were developed to withstand huge pressures and were therefore capable of carrying people thousands of meters deep.

Longines supplied many of the instruments for one of these vessels – the Trieste, which set a depth record in 1953, carrying two people to a depth of 3,150 meters.

Alongside development of instruments for the Trieste, Longines also developed diving wrist watches to military specification and later for civilian sports divers. Longines recently re-released one of these watches in a modern-day version, called the “Legend Diver”.

Initially the classic design of the watch caught my attention but reading about the history really got me hooked. I have since noticed that Legend Diver, shares similar design characteristics to two other re-released classics: the Jaeger-LeCoultre Memovox Tribute to Polaris and IWC Vintage Acquatimer.

Packaging
The watch comes in a ridiculously LARGE box! Probably not very environmentally friendly but I must admit quite impressive, and contains a nice book about the Longines Sport legends collection. Quite interesting reading and nice to look at.

IMG_0652 L.jpg

Case
A few specs: stainless steel, 42mm, domed saphire crystal, water resistant to 300m

The case has two crowns – one for winding and setting the watch and the other to access and set the rotating inner bezel. This is fairly unique feature and less common that the usual external bezel. I can also see a functional reason behind it in that it’s not possible to accidentally move the bezel by knocking it.

The case height is 13.5mm which I think is pretty “thin” considering it’s water resistant to 300 metres. It certainly feels comfortable on the wrist and does not sit too high. The reverse of the case is also imprinted with an image of a diver and spear.

IMG_0636.jpg

Dial
The dial design is quite unique and special. It has a real classic, “retro” look about it with beige/cream batton hour markers which contrast nicely against the black face. For me legibility is good thanks to the simple face and strong contrast of the markers. In short, it’s simple, elegant and well laid out.

IMG_0616 L.jpg

IMG_0635 L.jpg

Strap
The strap is made from some sort of black synthetic material with off-white stitching. It is lined with black felt on the inside to aid comfort. It certainly looks nice and matches the style of the watch. My only real gripe is that even though I have average size wrists, if I use the tightest buckle hole, the watch is still a bit loose and therefore sits a little to the side. On the positive side I do like the buckle which has nice detail in the cross-hatch pattern adorned with the Longines hour glass logo.

IMG_0639 L.jpg

Fit & Finish
It’s a well constructed watch and you can see and feel the quality. I like the small details like the cross-hatch pattern etched into the top of the crowns and buckle.

Movement
Longines L633 automatic movement, based on the ETA 2824-2

Accuracy
I’m not obsessed with accuracy but I know that this is part of any proper assessment of a watch’s quality. From the 6 months or so I’ve had the watch it seems to fall within +/- 5 secs a day which for me is more than accurate enough for a mechanical automatic watch.

In short
A handsome, classic well-designed watch with a great story behind it. A unique function with the rotating inner bezel accessed by a second crown. And not to mention, great value for around $US 2,000.
jamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Asad
"TRF" Member

Good in depth review!
Asad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 07:05 AM   #3
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Nice technical review ! I've just posted mine about the same watch with the date version,come see me if you like.

We love this watch,don't we ???

About the strap length,they finally decided to short it a bit on the date version.
gettocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2009, 02:17 AM   #4
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettocard View Post
Nice technical review ! I've just posted mine about the same watch with the date version,come see me if you like.

We love this watch,don't we ???

About the strap length,they finally decided to short it a bit on the date version.
Thanks Jackie! Just read yours - great review. It's interesting hearing others thoughts on the same watch - especially when it's not a watch you see every day...

Actually I'm quite surprised (and pleased!) to see that quite a few people know and like this watch - I thought it was one of those sort of "niche personal taste" watches...
Old 2 August 2009, 03:20 AM   #5
louie
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Beast
James,just collected mine today!
Old 2 August 2009, 04:40 PM   #6
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie View Post
Hey Louie share pics man...congrats to you

good review James...the watch is really classy...its a dress kind of diver which is amazing ...the watch has some very desirable and subtle details...I went nuts about it when I first saw it...love it still...congrats to you too

regards,
Asad Abbas Awan.
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2009, 01:02 AM   #7
louie
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by asadtiger View Post
Hey Louie share pics man...congrats to you

good review James...the watch is really classy...its a dress kind of diver which is amazing ...the watch has some very desirable and subtle details...I went nuts about it when I first saw it...love it still...congrats to you too

regards,
Asad Abbas Awan.
Thanks Asad,i 'm really happy and excited when i was informed the watch has arrived. I almost got sleepless... Gone over to the shop the following day to collect this beauty during lunch time. I'm really impressed by the presentation boxes,catalog etc... She so BEAUTIFULL!

*Take this opportunity to thank cocobat & Paul for the help in getting this LLD. Thank you guys!

Photo By Leicashot
Old 4 September 2009, 01:20 AM   #8
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie View Post
Congratulations Louie - it's a great watch. Enjoy!
Old 16 September 2009, 08:07 PM   #9
watch-nut
Banned

Watch: Too Many
Great watch and a nice review, this has all but pusuded me to go and buy one, thank you
watch-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 03:06 AM   #10
stratus
"TRF" Member

thank you nice review
stratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 03:41 AM   #11
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Not normally a lover of two crowns on a watch but this piece certainly pulls it off! Very classic looking & gorgeous dial.

Thanks for the review & pics- superb!

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 08:49 AM   #12
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
I've been re-reading this review and been debating with myself if I should get this watch or not.... It's beatiful but there's so much else out there ..
KarlFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 10:38 AM   #13
sam.

Watch: Oyster Royal 6246
thanks for the info,i really like the classic look of this watch!
sam. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2010, 10:19 AM   #14
mingsta

Thats a lovely watch and great review. Love the retro dial and domed crystal!

Funnily enough, I've also just posted a review for a different 42mm swiss made divers watch, also with a double crown, rotating internal bezel and 28xx movement:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=123927

...very different animal to your classic piece though.
mingsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2010, 08:08 AM   #15
wildsidemtb

Watch: Sea Dweller, 5512
Stunning watch I love the internal bezel timer it is similar to my Hamilton Khaki
wildsidemtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2010, 03:11 AM   #16
jedinite
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller Deepsea
Awesome looking watch and a great review
jedinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2011, 04:36 AM   #17
WatchTimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
They are nice fun watches.
I have had mine a few mths and am actually going
to part with it soon, just need to get around to listing it.

It is a nice watch, sporty yet dressy and wears great I just do not
find it getting much wrist time at all :( I have worn it perhaps 1/2 dozen times.

As the OP said the box is really something! Rolex could take some lessons in this
department from Longines haha.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2011, 01:04 AM   #18
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
Background

Longines supplied many of the instruments for one of these vessels – the Trieste, which set a depth record in 1953, carrying two people to a depth of 3,150 meters.
As a side note, one of the Rolex models was tested by Trieste.
here is a link: http://thescuttlefish.com/2010/11/th...randpas-rolex/
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2011, 11:51 PM   #19
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtooth73 View Post
As a side note, one of the Rolex models was tested by Trieste.
here is a link: http://thescuttlefish.com/2010/11/th...randpas-rolex/
Ahh, the deep see special - I've seen pictures of that before. The height of the domed bezel looks pretty crazy. Is the extra height of the Rolex crystal because it went to a greater depth than the Longines...?
Old 14 January 2011, 12:23 PM   #20
salem65
"TRF" Member

Watch: JS Watch co. 101
Thanks for the great review and pics. It is a great looking watch; I love retro styling.
salem65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2011, 01:06 PM   #21
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Congrats on the good looking watch! Love that it has two crowns, definitely looks different and unique.

I bought an IWC Aquatimer BNIB from an IWC AD in 2004 and it has the similarity mentioned with your Longines. Two crowns and an inner rotating bezel gives the watch a unique look. I love it. Just not sure my Aquatimer is considered a "vintage" since as far as I know it is only about 8 y/o.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2011, 03:40 AM   #22
trvilanova

here in spain that watch is very apreciated, i like so much, i think that is one of my next buy
trvilanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2011, 11:56 PM   #23
Jede
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
This has caught my interest lately.. JLC Tribute to Polaris would be cool, but I can't justify the price just yet.
Jede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2012, 03:48 AM   #24
zeit_geist
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Great Timepiece

In part based on Jamesh's positive review, I recently purchased this LLD re-edition in stainless steel with date window from Tourneau and have been very pleased with it. I wear it frequently, suited up and dressed down, swimming in the ocean etc., and the watch is in perfect condition. It wears very comfortably on my wrist. It's a well-crafted timepiece, heavy and perfectly fitting at 42mm. I think I would have preferred the dateless version a tad bit. I also think that it loses quite a bit of its value so anyone looking to buy one should look for a slightly used model which can be had at around $1500 or so (retail was around $2200). As a big fan of diver's watches, I think this is a great addition to my small collection, though I think the JLC Deep Sea/Polaris would have been a better buy, albeit much more expensive. At its price, I think this is a great watch to own and I think I will enjoy it for many years to come. Sidenote: Tourneau originally sold me the LLD with a standard Longines box but thanks to Jamesh's review, I realized that there is a special box and booklet so after a quick call to Tourneau, they quickly sent me the original box and booklet.
zeit_geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2012, 05:15 PM   #25
InTime
Banned

just looked myself its listed at 2300

shhhoooot...

in 2009 it was 2000$
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2012, 11:27 AM   #26
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
nice review on a very underrated watch.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2012, 02:25 AM   #27
trelos
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ref 1500
Just bought one used from a forum member.

Should be in today...Can't wait!!!
trelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2012, 02:59 AM   #28
trelos
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ref 1500
Just Got it!!!

already loving it!!!

The box it came in is quite impressive!

Thanks to forum member ABOEN for the watch, a great price and quick shipping!

trelos is offline   Reply With Quote