The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 August 2020, 05:03 AM   #1
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
End Link Wear on 5513...Ouch!

This watch belonged to a guy who actually cared about it. He wore it often but carefully, and had the neurotic foresight (I mean that in the best possible way of course) to be at the vanguard of paper/box/anchor preservation.

It's the classic Rolex vintage story, really...guy becomes enamored of the Rolex brand and buys brand new nearly 50 years ago. He hears that the market has gone mad, and he wants to sell. He has everything! I can't wait to see it and then...uh...wah wah wah wah....

No serial number! Ouch, for everyone. It's not as though it were unpolished or anything, but obviously the papers and box and the rest don't mean too much at this point. It takes a fair bit of time to explain to a casual Rolex fan that the paperwork doesn't matter if there is no serial number on the watch!

I guess a great reminder to all of us to 1. ensure that you have the correct end links on a vintage watch and 2. maybe firm up your bracelet a bit (this guy wore it for nearly 50 years like Liberace's bracelets instead of a bit snugger. To each their own, I suppose, but it seems like it would exacerbate this problem (no factual basis...opinion only).

Instead of his watch being welcomed by an eager collector, his watch ends up being a parts watch (granted, nice parts, but still). Tragic watch development.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5513-serial.jpg (90.3 KB, 371 views)
Cloudchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 05:07 AM   #2
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Model number on the other side is barely visible...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5513-model-side.jpg (155.7 KB, 362 views)
Old 15 August 2020, 06:18 AM   #3
subx
"TRF" Member

ouch
subx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 06:29 AM   #4
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
Instead of his watch being welcomed by an eager collector, his watch ends up being a parts watch (granted, nice parts, but still). Tragic watch development.
I find it weird that because a number that is missing, it's less valuable or interesting. If it looks good, right shape, bezel, dial, ... and looks good it's meant to be worn.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 07:10 AM   #5
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Not that you can replace the serial number but I thought the movement number is also serialized to a specific watch? Would that be part of the original paperwork?
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 07:18 AM   #6
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
That sucks, but still, i would buy it if he has all the papers, box and a 50 year old story to tell. I would send it in for service and wait what Rolex has to say. Maybe they stamp the serial again after verification.
Old 15 August 2020, 07:20 AM   #7
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
That sucks, but still, i would buy it if he has all the papers, box and a 50 year old story to tell. I would send it in for service and wait what Rolex has to say. Maybe they stamp the serial again after verification.
Honestly didn't know that was possible. Hmmm.
Old 15 August 2020, 07:22 AM   #8
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Not that you can replace the serial number but I thought the movement number is also serialized to a specific watch? Would that be part of the original paperwork?
Not sure. I was under the impression that once the serial is gone, there was no way to confirm...
Old 15 August 2020, 08:16 AM   #9
SaliBay2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not of the original paperwork that a buyer gets.
SaliBay2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 08:17 AM   #10
SaliBay2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
I would send it in for service and wait what Rolex has to say. Maybe they stamp the serial again after verification.
They will NEVER do that.
Old 15 August 2020, 08:20 AM   #11
SaliBay2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I find it weird that because a number that is missing, it's less valuable or interesting.
I agree with the principle; but not to forget that the serial number is an important part to proof the authenticity of a watch.
Old 15 August 2020, 09:10 AM   #12
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

I've seen much worse.
Dr.Smellody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 09:28 AM   #13
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
This is what can happen to older watches I’ve got an old Tudor sub very similar to the above ok the numbers are worn but I still love the watch
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 12:23 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

He got 50 years of enjoyment out of it. There's no tragedy here.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 12:35 PM   #15
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
He got 50 years of enjoyment out of it. There's no tragedy here.
Very true. And money afterward, too!
Old 15 August 2020, 01:04 PM   #16
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, either myself, my friend or Rolliworks were unable to read the serial#'s due to the end link wear on this 1970 5512. I was contacted by a TRF member very interested in buying it so I directed him to Michael at Rolliworks (who is in possession of it) and once the buyer heard the serial#'s weren't legible it was a deal breaker.
Old 15 August 2020, 02:56 PM   #17
r0lexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I find it weird that because a number that is missing, it's less valuable or interesting. If it looks good, right shape, bezel, dial, ... and looks good it's meant to be worn.

I’m with you on this... if the piece is a fine example and for the right price, wear it and enjoy it.
Old 15 August 2020, 02:58 PM   #18
r0lexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthetime? View Post
Unfortunately, either myself, my friend or Rolliworks were unable to read the serial#'s due to the end link wear on this 1970 5512. I was contacted by a TRF member very interested in buying it so I directed him to Michael at Rolliworks (who is in possession of it) and once the buyer heard the serial#'s weren't legible it was a deal breaker.

Funny, I was just at Rolliworks and spent some time w Michael and the team today!
Old 15 August 2020, 03:07 PM   #19
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lexguy View Post
Funny, I was just at Rolliworks and spent some time w Michael and the team today!
That's funny. I've spoke with Michael several times and with Sal, who I believe did the actual restoring, and Rachel. All are very pleasant indeed.
Old 15 August 2020, 03:13 PM   #20
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Only on the chronometer certificate, but the 5513 wasn't chronometer rated and I'm not sure if the certificates were still included when this watch was sold in any case.
Old 16 August 2020, 12:31 AM   #21
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Yes, definitely far less valuable without a visible serial number. Doesn’t mean it can’t be a cool-looking vintage Sub. But from a collector’s viewpoint, the watch’s valuable is now in its parts.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 02:18 AM   #22
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
the watch’s valuable is now in its parts.
So imagine a 5513 MK1 bezel/dial/... whatever, perfect condition, unpolished lugs, beautiful original bezel (faded or not) whatever is most popular and a 90/100 condition after +40 years but it lost its serial number between the lugs.

I would love to see the collector taking that watch apart for parts.
Old 16 August 2020, 02:43 AM   #23
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
So imagine a 5513 MK1 bezel/dial/... whatever, perfect condition, unpolished lugs, beautiful original bezel (faded or not) whatever is most popular and a 90/100 condition after +40 years but it lost its serial number between the lugs.

Yes, a certain type of collector would still treat it as a parts watch. Others might not. However, your scenario is a little far-fetched. A watch that has had its serial and reference numbers completely worn off by the end links would usually be a watch that has had a rough life, and would probably not be the amazing condition piece you describe.

I think the main issue with not having a serial number has little to do with the actual condition of the watch. It's about originality. You can't accurately date a watch without the serial number (regardless of date stamps on case backs, which can be swapped), so you don't know if all the parts on the watch are actually original and age-correct. So, again, your scenario doesn't apply, because no matter how great the watch looks, you wouldn't know if the dial and or/insert actually belong on that case.

I ran into this serial-number issue myself on a 5512 I used to own, but because the 5512 is a chronometer, the RSC in NYC was able to provide the serial number during a service, based on the movement number. I posted about it .... more than 10 years ago. I feel old.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=124670
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 02:45 AM   #24
r0lexguy
"TRF" Member

Can you share more pictures?
Old 16 August 2020, 03:03 AM   #25
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Yes, a certain type of collector would still treat it as a parts watch. Others might not. However, your scenario is a little far-fetched. A watch that has had its serial and reference numbers completely worn off by the end links would usually be a watch that has had a rough life, and would probably not be the amazing condition piece you describe.

I think the main issue with not having a serial number has little to do with the actual condition of the watch. It's about originality. You can't accurately date a watch without the serial number (regardless of date stamps on case backs, which can be swapped), so you don't know if all the parts on the watch are actually original and age-correct. So, again, your scenario doesn't apply, because no matter how great the watch looks, you wouldn't know if the dial and or/insert actually belong on that case.

I ran into this serial-number issue myself on a 5512 I used to own, but because the 5512 is a chronometer, the RSC in NYC was able to provide the serial number during a service, based on the movement number. I posted about it .... more than 10 years ago. I feel old.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=124670
Remarkable similarities! Thanks for sharing the link and the original story.
Old 16 August 2020, 03:03 AM   #26
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sure...shortly.
Old 16 August 2020, 03:20 AM   #27
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here ya go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub-5513.jpg (154.8 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg sub-5513-1.jpg (87.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg sub-5513-2.jpg (85.1 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg sub-5513-3.jpg (89.3 KB, 195 views)
Old 16 August 2020, 03:28 AM   #28
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I talked with Phillip Ridley about this yesterday...that to make such a watch parts just feels weird. But Phillip and the other watchmakers have client lists for parts. With parts being as valuable as they are, I guess it's a finer line between collector worthy and parts scrap than I would have guessed. I'm actually sending this watch to Phillip on Monday for further evaluation. We'll see...

Vintage is always interesting, that's for sure!
Old 16 August 2020, 04:46 AM   #29
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
I talked with Phillip Ridley about this yesterday...that to make such a watch parts just feels weird. But Phillip and the other watchmakers have client lists for parts. With parts being as valuable as they are, I guess it's a finer line between collector worthy and parts scrap than I would have guessed. I'm actually sending this watch to Phillip on Monday for further evaluation. We'll see...

Vintage is always interesting, that's for sure!
It's so weird. I've seen subs in worse conditions and people still buy and wear those and something like this would be used as a parts watch and chopped up.I know, the condition means it still has valuable/useful items but still.
Old 16 August 2020, 07:00 AM   #30
phillip ridley
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Rolex Red Sub
In this situation, if sent to Rolex, Rolex then MIGHT stamp a new serial number on the inside of the caseback, but not between the lugs. Afterwards, Rolex would then update their system with the new serial.

This happened to me on a 67' GMT.