The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2019, 10:05 AM   #1
matt009au
"TRF" Member

Differences between OPxxxiv, P900, and Baumatic movements

Since researching the new 42mm submersibles, I noticed there seems to be a bit of hate for the OPXXXIV movement, mainly because it is the same base movement as the Baumatic, which is available at a much lower price. However, just wondering if someone could enlighten me as to the specific modifications that Panerai have made to the movement? The Baumatic has a different jewel count and power reserve.

Also, I noticed in the Due models they are swapping out the xxxiv for the new fully in-house P900. The P900 seems to have identical specs to the OPxxxiv... have panerai just started making the OPxxxiv in-house to avoid the backlash?

Makes me wonder if I should have held off ordering a 683 if the submersibles are going to follow suit with the p900...

Thanks
Matt
matt009au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 12:11 PM   #2
matt009au
"TRF" Member

Pic from another forum comparing the baumatic and opxxxiv movements43af0bda65f86772ba2b61ea002b75d5.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Old 26 October 2019, 04:19 PM   #3
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

dunno about the dues but the P9010 in-house was used in the 42mm submersible PAM682 (the last iteration before they tweaked the dial and removed “luminor” from the submersibles).

as to practical difference, the 9010 has a jumping hour setting function which is really nice to have.
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 04:59 PM   #4
matt009au
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
dunno about the dues but the P9010 in-house was used in the 42mm submersible PAM682 (the last iteration before they tweaked the dial and removed “luminor” from the submersibles).

as to practical difference, the 9010 has a jumping hour setting function which is really nice to have.
Yeh bit of a bugger that they went away from the 9010. But having tried on both, I must admit I prefer the thinner profile of the newer versions which the thinner VL movement allows.
Old 27 October 2019, 09:36 AM   #5
synequano
Banned

I think while pam 9010 have quickset hour,the Richemont movt have quickset date

Personally I do appreciate quickset hour more than quickset date,but probably people have different preferences

Currently I’m travelling with my non quickset hour JLC and I just realize how I miss the quickset hour,especially during DST change in Europe
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2019, 11:54 AM   #6
matt009au
"TRF" Member

One thing that intrigues me is the increase to 25 jewels in the OPxxxiv, as opposed to 21 in the baumatic.

Anyone have any idea what the extra jewels are doing in the pam movement?
Old 28 October 2019, 03:51 AM   #7
synequano
Banned

Probably they rework the geartrain to change the central second to small second? However with my simple logic it’ll only take 2 extra gears and probably 2 extra jewels,not 3
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 09:26 AM   #8
matt009au
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
Probably they rework the geartrain to change the central second to small second? However with my simple logic it’ll only take 2 extra gears and probably 2 extra jewels,not 3
I think you are likely spot on mate. Looking at the pic in post 2, while the description says 25 jewels, the back of the movement in the pic says 23.
Old 28 October 2019, 11:26 AM   #9
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
why panerai changed it from 5 days power reserve to 3 days? just to make the movement thinner?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2019, 10:40 AM   #10
matt009au
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
why panerai changed it from 5 days power reserve to 3 days? just to make the movement thinner?
I remember reading that panerai changed the innovarive materials (silicon hairpin I think) used in some of the core components of the Baumatic to more traditional types - which resulted in a reduced power reserve and loss of antimagnetic properties. I've been trying to find the specifics but can't find the article I read.
Old 12 March 2020, 04:58 AM   #11
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt009au View Post
Since researching the new 42mm submersibles, I noticed there seems to be a bit of hate for the OPXXXIV movement, mainly because it is the same base movement as the Baumatic, which is available at a much lower price. However, just wondering if someone could enlighten me as to the specific modifications that Panerai have made to the movement? The Baumatic has a different jewel count and power reserve.

Also, I noticed in the Due models they are swapping out the xxxiv for the new fully in-house P900. The P900 seems to have identical specs to the OPxxxiv... have panerai just started making the OPxxxiv in-house to avoid the backlash?

Makes me wonder if I should have held off ordering a 683 if the submersibles are going to follow suit with the p900...

Thanks
Matt
It appears Panerai followed suit and did just that: they replaced the OP movement from the subs and put in the p900, as they did previously with the Due models.

The 973, 683, 959, and 1055 all have this p900 movement as of now (per their website).

Does this p900 movement offer the quickset hour change like the p.9001 or is it the same movement with the quick date change like the OP XXXIV that it replaced?
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2020, 03:25 AM   #12
Perilei
"TRF" Member

I suspect that OP XXXIV and P.900 is exactly the same movement. If you google pictures of the two movements they look the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perilei is offline   Reply With Quote