The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 March 2018, 01:48 AM   #1
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

comparison request - overseas 4500 vs AP/PP

any owners with the present gen overseas 4500 also own a royal oak (37, 39 or 41mm) and/or a nautilus?

would love to see a wrist shot comparison as well as side-by-side.

currently have a jumbo and 5712, and would like to see if having the 41mm overseas would be too big for my 7in wrist.

i have a few 40-41mm steel sports watches, but my preference is to stay under 40mm. but i know it's all about the wear, and less about technical dimensions.

let's see 'em is u got 'em! ;)
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 03:35 AM   #2
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

for those interested as well, found this link on an older thread.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/re...r-3690146.html

altho i'm sensing the interest for this VC OS model is/has been fairly low amongst the enthusiasts.

also, judging by the photo on page 16 of the link, the size is very similar to the RO 15400...which would likely mean i'd pass on this.
Old 21 March 2018, 05:03 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i love both the regular time and date model (4500) and the overseas chronograph (5500). IMO they are both bigger than pateks.

In reguard to AP, the 3 hand/date wears very similar to a 15400 however its short lugs make it wear a bit better on smaller wrists. Its not 15202 or 15450 comparable at all. The chronograph IMO has its best comparison to a 42mm offshore. Its a beast. I love it but its not comparable to a ROC or a 15400.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 03:46 PM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Very little has been shared about this watch, and I also wish more owners can chip in with their experience

I went to the boutique to try on the VCO 4500. My wrist is 6.5" and the watch seems slightly big for my wrist (see the slight overhang at the top end), though it is not as large as my AP15400 in terms of fit. Without my calipers, I reckon the AP15400 is longer lug-to-lug than the VCO 4500. Thickness-wise, it is about 11mm, which is a tad taller than both the Nautilus and Royal Oak, but still relatively slim.

20171223_120909.jpg

The nautilus and aquanaut fit better on my wrist. However, I may still buy the VCO because the silver dial is so legible. VC has done well IMO with this watch
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 01:50 AM   #5
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

that silver is a good looking dial! i need to go try this on. the 15400, although same diameter as the VC 4500, i think wears noticeably larger.
i have a omega SMP that's 41mm, which i'm hoping the VC will wear similarly.
Old 22 March 2018, 04:03 AM   #6
RALAUstin
"TRF" Member

Not exactly as requested, but fairly close and should give you an idea of the size of the one gen back VC.

RALAUstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:27 AM   #7
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

the 3some certainly shows off how substantial the VC's bracelet is in comparison.
although not interested in the chrono version, the photo does show that the lug-to-lug length is probably not as long as the RO 15400, and thus allows it to wear truer to its case diameter, much like the sub.
Old 22 March 2018, 08:45 AM   #8
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Love this particular VC as well. One thing, I understanding it has a quick release with 3 different bracelets. That's pretty innovative and really should be the standard, assuming it works nicely and stays secure.

In my mind's eye tho, I still see VC as traditional and classic, and it's hard to beat that Patrimony.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:18 AM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by RALAUstin View Post
Not exactly as requested, but fairly close and should give you an idea of the size of the one gen back VC.

Great shots, and shows the awesome 2 gen VCO bracelet, as good as it gets for me.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:07 AM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
that silver is a good looking dial! i need to go try this on. the 15400, although same diameter as the VC 4500, i think wears noticeably larger.
i have a omega SMP that's 41mm, which i'm hoping the VC will wear similarly.
I reckon this watch deserves at least a try

I read that your wrist is 7", which could be perfect for this VCO. It is just slightly bigger for my 6.5".

I used to like the brown dial, but it is already out of production. I'm not a big fan of the blue on this watch, as it is a little garish IMO as compared with the more muted nautilus/APRO blue. So, I tried on the silver, and the first thing that struck me was the dial's clear legibility. Sorry if I offended any owners here, but I'm still a lover for the design of this watch.

Anyway, this is a good thread because very few people talk about the VCO. Give it more love guys!
Old 22 March 2018, 10:09 PM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I reckon this watch deserves at least a try

I read that your wrist is 7", which could be perfect for this VCO. It is just slightly bigger for my 6.5".

I used to like the brown dial, but it is already out of production. I'm not a big fan of the blue on this watch, as it is a little garish IMO as compared with the more muted nautilus/APRO blue. So, I tried on the silver, and the first thing that struck me was the dial's clear legibility. Sorry if I offended any owners here, but I'm still a lover for the design of this watch.

Anyway, this is a good thread because very few people talk about the VCO. Give it more love guys!
It's not our fault, VCO pricing is very high and they don't like to discount, so in this heady market in particular, most people are overlooking the brand purely on a price basis. VC need to understand they can't compete at the same price as 15202s and Nautiluses and need to be a lot more consumer friendly, in price and service.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:51 PM   #12
PJ S
Banned

^
20% off is typically doable, perhaps a bit more if your haggling skills are better.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 11:18 PM   #13
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It's not our fault, VCO pricing is very high and they don't like to discount, so in this heady market in particular, most people are overlooking the brand purely on a price basis. VC need to understand they can't compete at the same price as 15202s and Nautiluses and need to be a lot more consumer friendly, in price and service.
Agreed with your point on pricing with reference to the Big 2. However, some Asian ADs in HK and Singapore discount approx 25% off the MSRP. I have the impression that more discount is available on the silver dial version as it is less popular compared to the blue.

The large discount and the 2 additional straps definitely bring more value to the consumers. The question is whether consumers can connect emotionally to the VCO the way they are to the 15202 and the nautilus. At this juncture, I afraid not so....