The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2018, 02:23 AM   #1
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Random Thoughts on New Releases

Agree or disagree, whatever.

1. Basel prediction threads are worthless.

2. "My AD said..." threads are worthless.

3. If you buy a PM Rolex you are now on absolute notice that Rolex will think nothing of killing the market for your watch by releasing a SS version. I think this is a great slap in the face to their highest end customers. Spare me the BS about you knowing its PM, about the subtle differences, about rarity vs. the weird new blue dial PM GMT, etc. Your watch is going to go down in price. No respect for the consumer. None.

4. The Black/Brown GMT is awful. Maybe it will look better in person, shall see. Some people have an eye for those colors, not me. Can't wait for the nickname fans to have a go at that one.

5. The SS Blue/Red GMT on Jubilee is super nice. It just pisses me off that I can't go buy one in three months because of the anticipated and intentionally created scarcity. That really pisses me off. There too, we shall see.

6. The new movement! The new movement! Come on people, get real. An extra 24 hour power reserve in an automatic? Really? The 3186 is a super accurate workhorse. But then, if the 3186 is motoring your Rolex, you don't have the latest and greatest.

Rolex plays their die-hard fan base like a maestro conducting an orchestra. And we get to swallow the music. Thanks for the rant.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:26 AM   #2
S-F
"TRF" Member

With tax, a stainless steel GMT has crossed the $10k threshold and yet it still seems like a "deal" after watching all of the grey pricing for the last few months. Interesting to see where everything goes from here.
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:26 AM   #3
Khans14
"TRF" Member

I find the threads to not be worthless. They provide entertainment and honestly a bit of excitement / anticipation for me. Aside from #1, your #2 through #6 seem about right.
Khans14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:28 AM   #4
Ss22525
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Never buy wg rolex !!!
Ss22525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:29 AM   #5
S-F
"TRF" Member

One other thought, can ADs finally stop telling us that Rolex has to throw away 9 out of 10 blue/red bezels? Or have they been saving up the rejects and thus this new model?
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:32 AM   #6
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Love these...keep 'em coming.
Sums up the year quite accurately.

I'm honestly losing my love for the hobby. I'm just going to eventually buy my watches and forget the hype beast.
There is a member here Dan Pierce who's been enjoying the same GMT ll since I joined the forum I think, that is bliss.
In that time I've gone through about 6 watches. Now you can't even buy the damn things even if you wanted, at full MSRP.
A ss 5711 is $50k now, just craziness.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:32 AM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The new movement is anti-magnetic without the weight of a gauss-cage like the Milgauss must carry.

Maybe check to see if the MG is discontinued after a short while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:39 AM   #8
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Agreed... I am disappointed on all fronts..
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:42 AM   #9
westsiderkg
"TRF" Member

Watch: '66 Submariner
agreed...whats really the point of a "release" if it's not really released...i.e. no one can buy it today, lol.
westsiderkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:50 AM   #10
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

#3.....fabulous! I look forward to next years SS Day Date.

SS IS the new PM.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:44 AM   #11
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post

SS IS the new PM.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 07:50 AM   #12
roadster198
"TRF" Member

How many baselworlds will I see before I can actually get the new gmt ss pepsi
roadster198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:08 AM   #13
Alex Ks
"TRF" Member

My thoughts exactly brother
Alex Ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:12 AM   #14
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:

SS IS the new PM.
That's the truth. Just look at what's happening with the Patek 5711 and the AP 15202. And from Rolex's perspective, if you can edge the prices up on SS to be closer to PM, and convince buyers that these mass produced pieces are "exclusive," you are going to make a killing.

SS is the new PM. And Tudor is the new Rolex.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:24 AM   #15
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I agree with every single one of the OP’s points, and I will add I think the brown GMT will do well in Asia. They love TT over there. Smart move by Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:28 AM   #16
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I disagree with some of the points made. Rolex gave the enthusiasts what they wanted, unfortunately members of this form have amnesia. Rewind back to Basel 2013, with the arrival of the BLNR, how many members were begging for a SS 'PEPSI' and took to the streets and rioted?

Similar issue with the DSSD's bracelet. I think Rolex and Tudor have done a tremendous job listening to the enthusiasts.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:30 AM   #17
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:

SS IS the new PM.
I think we are safe from a SS day date. If that were ever to happen I would abandon Rolex for Patek or AP.
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:32 AM   #18
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

At least there wasn’t a price increase ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:33 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I personally love Basel and all the intrigue that goes on before and the commenting during. I woke up this morning and felt rather giddy even tho I knew I was not in the market for a SS Rolex really. I wouldn't mind they have new releases twice a year.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:46 AM   #20
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post

I'm honestly losing my love for the hobby. I'm just going to eventually buy my watches and forget the hype beast.
There is a member here Dan Pierce who's been enjoying the same GMT ll since I joined the forum I think, that is bliss.
In that time I've gone through about 6 watches. Now you can't even buy the damn things even if you wanted, at full MSRP.
I only had a fancy watchmaker for some years since my good friend (watchmaker) passed away a decade ago, but I found an old school guy that happened to be friends with the deceased, and he's my watch guy now. I brought many vintage pieces for him to service last couple months, as the fancy watchmaker made me feel he was doing me a big favor servicing them.

So my enthusiasm is at a high level again. He told me he had a 5513 a couple months ago in great shape and he sold for 5k. I'm only saying this my friend because hunting these latest and greatest models and fighting to be on imaginary lists waiting for years is the worst way of keeping the passion alive IMHO. We must really live the hobby to keep the allure.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 08:51 AM   #21
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I personally love Basel and all the intrigue that goes on before and the commenting during. I woke up this morning and felt rather giddy even tho I knew I was not in the market for a SS Rolex really. I wouldn't mind they have new releases twice a year.
Yeah I'm like a kid on Christmas today. And wasn't Christmas always kind of disappointing at the end of the day? Nothing can trump high expectations.
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:07 AM   #22
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Steel is the new gold.

BW2016, 2017 and now 2018 have confirmed this.

Don't buy gold, buy steel.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:11 AM   #23
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post

Ive often said on here and other places that I was a one watch guy.
I know people that have had the same watch , subs and datejusts for 20-30 years and the watches have gone everywhere with them.
I have nine rolex and I'm on lists for 3 more , I have favourites but with some many you have little attachment to them
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:20 AM   #24
artschool
"TRF" Member

I dont like any of the new releases. :(
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:21 AM   #25
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SKX009
The flaw in point #3 is simple. Rolex is in business to make and sell NEW watches. They absolutely don't care about future value, except what they can charge for parts and repairs on servicing their watches and preserving exclusivity on those parts and service. Grey market or resale value is something they wish they could remove entirely.
Jeffwb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:29 AM   #26
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I like number 1. They bring me joy in the sense of good fun. I like day dreaming and wondering.

I mostly agree otherwise.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:37 AM   #27
G'ed
"TRF" Member

My conclusion, supercase is here to stay.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:48 AM   #28
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
Agree or disagree, whatever.

1. Basel prediction threads are worthless.

2. "My AD said..." threads are worthless.

3. If you buy a PM Rolex you are now on absolute notice that Rolex will think nothing of killing the market for your watch by releasing a SS version. I think this is a great slap in the face to their highest end customers. Spare me the BS about you knowing its PM, about the subtle differences, about rarity vs. the weird new blue dial PM GMT, etc. Your watch is going to go down in price. No respect for the consumer. None.

4. The Black/Brown GMT is awful. Maybe it will look better in person, shall see. Some people have an eye for those colors, not me. Can't wait for the nickname fans to have a go at that one.

5. The SS Blue/Red GMT on Jubilee is super nice. It just pisses me off that I can't go buy one in three months because of the anticipated and intentionally created scarcity. That really pisses me off. There too, we shall see.

6. The new movement! The new movement! Come on people, get real. An extra 24 hour power reserve in an automatic? Really? The 3186 is a super accurate workhorse. But then, if the 3186 is motoring your Rolex, you don't have the latest and greatest.

Rolex plays their die-hard fan base like a maestro conducting an orchestra. And we get to swallow the music. Thanks for the rant.
1. Agreed, if the point is to get a realistic idea of what might come out in a given year. If they're simply for entertainment, they're certainly worth the price of admission.

2. Generally yes, but the threads reporting the BLRO disco got it right. There was a fundamental difference there, though, since ADs weren't reporting some rumor, but what they were actually instructed to do by their Rolex reps: i.e., cancel existing orders for the BLRO, and not take new orders. The same can be said about the DSSD disco reports, since effectively the previous DSSD models were discontinued and replaced with new iterations. That's the only kind of "my AD said" info that carries any weight, imo, and then only when it's coming from multiple sources.

3. Yep. Anyone who buys white PM models not just for the metal, but for the unique combination of the metal and style factors exclusive to that version, had best think twice. The SkyD was already a warning; the SS Pepsi confirms it.

4. It's a matter of taste, of course, but I can't say the new root beer is to my taste.

5. I think the SS Pepsi on Jubilee is the nicest release of the season. I'm not terribly motivated to buy it, honestly, but if I were, I too would be concerned about availability.

6. I have no interest in the new movement, personally, but given the competition, Rolex needed to step up its game and is doing that. The 31xx is a great platform, but it's time to move on.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 09:52 AM   #29
rph08
"TRF" Member

I'm sure the new Pepsi will be a big hit, but it just doesn't do it for me. I guess my tastes have changed, but after seeing that watch on a Jubilee bracelet I quickly realized that I prefer the GMT on an Oyster. In addition, I'm not crazy about the bezel colors. I thought Rolex may have tweaked the colors after viewing the pics on their website, however after seeing some live pics it certainly appears to be the same bezel used on the WG model. I'm not looking to add another GMT, but IMHO the BLNR is still the best looking SS version currently produced.

I'm surprised to say this, but the new(ish) Deep Blue is my favorite of this years releases.

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 10:00 AM   #30
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Not to sure I’m sold on the jubilee clasp!!
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote