The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 March 2018, 12:46 AM   #31
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

I thought the Original owners bought it cause it looked like steel? I remember a thread recently... Hmm..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 12:50 AM   #32
Scanspeakman
"TRF" Member

hmmm..... I don't know if anyone already noticed but it looks like Rolex silently changed the WG BLRO as well. Now with a blue dial but still the 3186 movement. As far as I can remember this model had a black dial as well. Probably to make a distinction with the new SS version.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/gmt-ma...blro-0002.html

Scanspeakman
Scanspeakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 12:59 AM   #33
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
WG BLRO prices will plummet! It will be the most affordable and likely least desirable PM piece going forward. The new model just put the nail in the coffin.

Well I love WG so very desirable for me but previously unreachable unless could become a 1 watch guy (which am not). Maybe with lower prices an option in the future; time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 01:08 AM   #34
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
As a WG Pepsi and WG SkD owner, I disagree. If I want people to know that I’m wearing an expensive watch, there are better watch choices for that purpose. What irks me is the hit my watches will take in value. Of course I buy watches because I like them and not as an investment. And I still like them. However, many of us here are flippers or will trade watches as tastes changes. So now our trade value has diminished, impacting future trades.
I am eager to hear your perspective on this. I do not own any precious metal Rolex watches, but part of me says, who cares. People who buy white gold do so because they know what it is on their wrist and do not care what anyone else thinks. The WG BLRO is still a really cool watch. That means something.

That said, Rolex is well known for keeping bezels and dials exclusive to certain models to incentivize their purchase. I felt that even a Coke bezel in stainless steel was a disservice to WG BLRO owners. The blue dial added to the WG seems like a "cop out" to keep the model "exclusive." I still think that the Pepsi bezel with a black dial on an Oyster bracelet is the best looking modern GMT-Master II and now it seems like that is an even more exclusive piece as it is no longer available.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 01:10 AM   #35
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch-Ed View Post
Are the lugs dimensions different? They say they redesigned the case and lugs but looking at it I cant see why a regular oyster bracelet would not fit.

Would be nice if I could switch around my BLNR's oyster and the Pepsi's Jubilee when it arrives.
I’m thinking the oyster bracelet won’t fit on the new SS BLRO. So swapping out the jubilee for oyster might require modified endlinks.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 01:12 AM   #36
topfuel25
Banned

Waiting to pick up a dirt cheap BLRO, if not will just go for Pepsi steel :)
topfuel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 01:15 AM   #37
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfromleeds View Post

Rolex have stuffed all the BLRO owners and took them for fools by selling them a premium priced watch and selling almost the same looking watch for a quarter of the price swop the bracelet from a normal ceramic gmt and hey bingo you have a BLRO in all steel !
How so? They still have a gold watch and it's probably going to be worth tomorrow pretty much what it was worth yesterday.
Are they worried that>gasp< people might think they only have on a steel watch ? Are maitre d's going to give them shitty tables ? Valets park their cars at the furthest lot ?
WIS will still recognize old fat case + pepsi bezel = white gold, new case + blue dial + pepsi bezel = white gold. Everyone else will think "Rolex" and not give a flying one either way.
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 01:26 AM   #38
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Actually, right now if I had a WG BLRO I would be very happy. It's a watch that had a pretty small production run and from a collecting point of view probably makes it even more valuable now and even more special. Especially with the fact that Rolex was very smart to launch the SS BLRO with a different bracelet.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 01:26 AM   #39
Heynow1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I have the WG version and could care less that theres a Stainless model out there. I am happy guys that cant or wont afford the gold version now have another choice thats palatable. The cost of any gold Rolex IMO is ridiculous but unfortunately necessary if you want in.

I bought mine used (someone else already took the big hit) for a specific reason to me and dont care if the price goes up or down since I have no intention of getting rid of it. I am happy and dont feel Rolex snubbed me at all.

YMMV
I think this is about right. Buy what you love and wear it. These aren't investments IMO. What I've learned is no one care that I wear a Rolex or a PP, which i prefer. The few that do, appreciate them as much as i do. For me I need to look at my collection or my wrist and be happy. Thats the game for me.

So if gold does it, then cool, if steel does it then cool. Its all cool. I fact im wearing an apple today for the 1st time, its all cool. Except for my tag, that is is not cool.

Speaking of the SkyDweller, my hunt began today for an ivory roman dial! Will I love it, who knows, but the hunt is the fun part....
Heynow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:11 AM   #40
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
I think they are making the Jubilee bracelet incompatible with the original WG GMT just to make them easily discernible.

Oyster and Pepsi=Gold
Jubilee and Pepsi=Steel

They probably modified the lugs for that reason, not for aesthetics.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:50 AM   #41
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
WIS will still recognize old fat case + pepsi bezel = white gold, new case + blue dial + pepsi bezel = white gold. Everyone else will think "Rolex" and not give a flying one either way.

Is the new SS BLRO GMTc case different (less fat) then the older model????

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 22 March 2018, 02:54 AM   #42
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
I’m thinking the oyster bracelet won’t fit on the new SS BLRO. So swapping out the jubilee for oyster might require modified endlinks.
From what I hear you are correct
scurfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 02:55 AM   #43
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Pepsi trashed the blro !!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel25 View Post
Waiting to pick up a dirt cheap BLRO, if not will just go for Pepsi steel :)

Lowest price had sen on the WG BLRO in TRF is $20k (november 2017); today lowest is about $23500 according to watchrecon. Lets see how market goes moving forward!

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 22 March 2018, 02:57 AM   #44
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Weirdly if you download the brochure off the website it seems to be a mash-up of the new SS model and the older WG model. It starts off talking about the jubilee and new movement and by page 13 it's talking about the oyster bracelet and 3186 movement!

Unfinished business I think....
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:06 AM   #45
GBD
"TRF" Member

Confirmed on IG that the ss oyster will not fit on the ss BLRO.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:09 AM   #46
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
Quote:
WG BLRO prices will plummet! It will be the most affordable and likely least desirable PM piece going forward. The new model just put the nail in the coffin.
I agree and when that will happen I will fetch one. .

I also foresee the new Pepsi SS will probably fetch the same money on the secondary market once released.

I'll take WG for the same price.
lmcgbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:11 AM   #47
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Lowest price had sen on the WG BLRO in TRF is $20k (november 2017); today lowest is about $23500 according to watchrecon. Lets see how market goes moving forward!
I am ready at 16k. Is that too much to ask?
lmcgbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:13 AM   #48
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
i am a super big gmt fan and was very curious about the blro until i tried it on. To me it didn't feel special enough to warrant the extra money over the blnr i already had; especially since i have a 16710 with both coke and pepsi bezels.

My 718 in yg with green dial i do feel is special enough to warrant the extra spend, but i'm not a wg guy at all. I don't own a single wg piece.

x2
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:14 AM   #49
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
Im totally gobsmacked ! the new Pepsi is 10/10 totally superb and long over due to be honest ! but here come the negative and sorry if its not what you want to here but the facts are this !

Rolex have stuffed all the BLRO owners and took them for fools by selling them a premium priced watch and selling almost the same looking watch for a quarter of the price swop the bracelet from a normal ceramic gmt and hey bingo you have a BLRO in all steel !

total joke they did that with the white gold sky dweller owners also not long ago !
Oh, the drama! Rolex sold WG BLRO watches to people that wanted them. Rolex then made a decision about their product offering going forward that may impact those that already purchased their watches, but they didn't do anything to those owners. You know these are watches, not equities, right?
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:17 AM   #50
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac51 View Post
Might want to check the new lug dimensions before commenting on the bracelet swap. If you noticed no new GMT came with the SS oyster. I'm sure Rolex did think things through to maintain some exclusivity to existing WG BLRO owners.

Sent from my HTC_2Q4D100 using Tapatalk
Folks keep saying the lugs are slimmer...

But I cannot perceive any difference!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:20 AM   #51
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
I'm hoping this new Pepsi is going to halt / stabilize the crazy used prices of the 16710. If that's a strategic move by Rolex, well done.
Old 22 March 2018, 03:27 AM   #52
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollee1 View Post
I'm hoping this new Pepsi is going to halt / stabilize the crazy used prices of the 16710. If that's a strategic move by Rolex, well done.
That might be a byproduct, but I can't imagine they really care about it.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:29 AM   #53
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheez View Post
I thought the Original owners bought it cause it looked like steel? I remember a thread recently... Hmm..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah if they wanted to be stealth they really are now
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:29 AM   #54
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
So both the SS GMT BLRO and the WG BLRO have the same bezel. And this is exactly the same bezel that the black dial BLRO had?

My initial look this morning on my iPad it seemed the colors had been improved to be closer to the original Red/Blue bezel. But as a I look on my PC it seems it's the same colors, more of a raspberry than red and more purple-ish blue than a solid blue. I don't see the win in this... without searching threads it seems that lots of members here don't care for how the colors turned out on the B/R ceramic bezel.

The Black Bay GMT Pepsi is closer to the original, yes it's aluminum.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:31 AM   #55
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy_Kilowatt View Post
That might be a byproduct, but I can't imagine they really care about it.
Agreed! High prices of old models on the used market are a GOOD thing for Rolex - excellent for the brand reputation and may drive people to buy new from Rolex rather than used from a third party. Why would Rolex want to lower prices of its used products?
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:31 AM   #56
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
I think you are right. The exclusive natural of the WG is gone for this particular model.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:32 AM   #57
jets
"TRF" Member

I'm happy the red 24 hand is finally back on a SS GMT
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:43 AM   #58
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post
I am ready at 16k. Is that too much to ask?
It will be interesting to see which happens first...either the BLRO will start dropping to the $19K range or lower AND at the same time the new SS Pepsi will be commanding huge premiums on the secondary market, so it may easily exceed your $16K figure when it is first released.

My guess is that the first SS version that DavidSW lists for sale will be $17K
Old 22 March 2018, 03:48 AM   #59
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you are right if you are a watch owner who buys watches based on what other people think. If i want WG, i will buy WG regardless what the SS watch looks like. I buy watches for me. Im sorry you dont.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2018, 03:56 AM   #60
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
you are right if you are a watch owner who buys watches based on what other people think. If i want WG, i will buy WG regardless what the SS watch looks like. I buy watches for me. Im sorry you dont.
Its like a Harley...........if I had to explain you wouldnt understand.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote