The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 July 2011, 02:40 AM   #1
tifosi
"TRF" Member

AP owners (and anyone else, of course) chime in please!!!

OK, you all know the story. We are a special breed, WIS.
Currently I have a Seiko Marinemaster300, a Bremont Supermarine500 (unworn) and funds stashed away for a ceramic Sub. I want an AP ROO Diver in the worst way!!! I do not have the means to add one to my collection. I'd have to sell off everything and be down to just the AP. I have had the diver on and it is an amazing piece, but I'd like to hear from AP owners and AP ROO Diver owners. Is it worth selling off everything to fund one??? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old 27 July 2011, 04:04 AM   #2
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
If you still love/wear those watches i'd save up for the Diver
I wanted my first one (Panda) so bad i had to sell one of my two SS Daytona and i don't regret that in any way.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 05:57 AM   #3
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
I wanted my first one (Panda) so bad i had to sell one of my two SS Daytona and i don't regret that in any way.
Just to clarify, you are suggesting that I use the ceramic Sub funds as the base for the AP and save from there? Forego the Sub and get the AP? Is the AP so good that I won't want or need another brand?? I do love the Seiko and the Bremont. I am starting to grow apart from Rolex...just a little.
Old 27 July 2011, 06:10 AM   #4
TSW
"TRF" Member

Well to me the Sub is a truly classic piece and a cornerstone in my collection and would never sell it.

One decision you have to make out yourself!

AP Owners Club
Old 27 July 2011, 06:17 AM   #5
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
Totally on Thomas side.
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 06:32 AM   #6
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Don't get me wrong...I love the Sub. I have had a couple and it is what got me interested in watches in the first place. I guess my taste is just evolving or maybe refining. The AP just calls out to me and I am not in the situation to have the watches I have and the AP. I guess that's why I wanted some opinions on wether or not the AP is THAT good that it would be worth liquidating my collection.
Old 27 July 2011, 06:38 AM   #7
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Don't get me wrong...I love the Sub. I have had a couple and it is what got me interested in watches in the first place. I guess my taste is just evolving or maybe refining. The AP just calls out to me and I am not in the situation to have the watches I have and the AP. I guess that's why I wanted some opinions on wether or not the AP is THAT good that it would be worth liquidating my collection.
For me YES

AP Owners Club
Old 27 July 2011, 07:47 AM   #8
h999r
Banned

I used to collect Rolex watches before I made a first purchased on Audemars watch, and Im hooked since then. It just a different feeling for me. Thats my opinion.
Old 27 July 2011, 07:52 AM   #9
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h999r View Post
I used to collect Rolex watches before I made a first purchased on Audemars watch, and Im hooked since then. It just a different feeling for me. Thats my opinion.
Same here

AP Owners Club
Old 27 July 2011, 11:04 AM   #10
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Ditto. If you don't like it, you won't have a problem swapping for another Sub.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 11:51 AM   #11
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
No way. That's too many to give up for one watch IMO.
Old 27 July 2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
The AP is awesome, but I would not give all the others up to own it. Fortunately for me I have not had to choose just one.

-Eddie
Old 27 July 2011, 01:36 PM   #13
Lagunatic
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LN
If I were in your shoes I would sell all my watches and buy the AP Divers, but remember it costs a lot to repair.
Lagunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 09:52 PM   #14
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunatic View Post
If I were in your shoes I would sell all my watches and buy the AP Divers, but remember it costs a lot to repair.
Can you or anyone else elaborate on what "a lot" is?
Old 27 July 2011, 10:53 PM   #15
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Check out the AP website, they publish service costs. It's really no more than most high end watches. You just have fewer options than Rolex.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 11:11 PM   #16
stockjock1975
Banned

Watch: Platona
As an owner of an AP Royal Oak, I can totally understand your craving for that watch. Prior to getting mine, it was literally all I could think about. I kept thinking to myself that if I were ever fortunate enough to own this "grail", it would be on my wrist 24/7 and I would likely never wear my other pieces again. Finally a couple years ago so good things happened in my life and I was able to afford the AP.....best of all, without having to sell any of my other pieces.

Well, for a solid couple months, the only watch to get any wrist time was my AP. And I loved it! All the stories that we hear about the majesty of Audemars Piguet proved true. But then a few months later, I began missing my other pieces. The Rolex, Cartier, Patek, and Lange that I had just setting in the safe began calling my name. Fortunately, they were waiting right there where I left them to put back into rotation.

Long story short from a man who has been right where you are, DO NOT get rid of your collection to fund one piece. As great a AP is, eventually the excitement will wear off a little and you will regret getting rid of your other pieces.

Just my $0.02, but I hope it helps in your decision.
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 11:34 PM   #17
kctt
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver/SD/GMTIIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
Long story short from a man who has been right where you are, DO NOT get rid of your collection to fund one piece. As great a AP is, eventually the excitement will wear off a little and you will regret getting rid of your other pieces.

Just my $0.02, but I hope it helps in your decision.
I was going to say exactly that! I got the Diver after obsessing over it for months. I was over the moon when I got it. I thought my Rolexes are not going to get much wrist time after that. After wearing the Diver for a month, I began the miss the GMT and the SD.

In the end of the day, I still feel the pride and pleasure of wearing the "old" watches. Just because I managed to buy my grail, doesn't mean I love the others less. My watches are sort of like my kids... they are all different but you love them just the same..

IG: @idighorology
kctt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2011, 11:51 PM   #18
tifosi
"TRF" Member

A lot of great responses! Thanks everyone. I have been here before actually with Rolex. I sold my collection because I thought the Rolex was the only watch I'd ever need. Then I began missing the Omegas I sold...especially my Speedy Pro. I can't believe I am
even thinking of this again since my previous experience, but the AP just feels more worth it for some reason. Feels like a whole other level over Rolex. I don't have the SubC yet so maybe I should take that $8k and build on it for the AP...
Old 28 July 2011, 04:02 AM   #19
h999r
Banned

Good choice ... its all coming back to you.. The feeling of wearing AP or Rolex, I always love AP because of the look, the finish and the pride of wearing it , is more then my Rolex . I know its not cheap but if we can afford it , and we love it , then we should go for it. For me Its like driving a Ferarri compare to Mercedes Benz. Thats my opinion :)
Old 28 July 2011, 05:26 AM   #20
Lagunatic
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LN
Quote:
Over $3,000.00 for a overhaul.
Lagunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2011, 05:27 AM   #21
Ranfni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai AP
don't sell you watches unless you don't like them anymore...I have the AP ROO Diver, and some others and I am very happy I did not sell them to fund the purchase...
Ranfni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 11:35 PM   #22
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Go for the Diver. AP is an amazing 'manufacture'. I currently own three APs but have had over since I started collecting. Don't worry about repair costs as yours will come with a two year warranty. If you take good care of it it shouldn't be a problem keeping the watch running smoothly for a long time.

Let's do an analogy here. Imagine you loved cars and you had the money to buy a Ferrari. Would you decide not to buy it because the maintenance can get very expensive. Probably not! Well, the same with the watch. Go for it, enjoy it and worry when something happens to it, but not before you even decide to buy it.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 11:44 PM   #23
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I do love APs..

..but I would have to have at least one Rolex in my collection.
To me, Rolex is much more wearable on a day to day basis.
That being said, it sounds like you're really yearning for the Diver so why not give it a go?.. It's a great watch!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2011, 11:56 PM   #24
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
At least sell the Bremont to start saving for the AP. Why keep it if you've never worn it? Cut out a picture of it and put it on the shelf, sell the real watch, use the money to start saving for the AP, and you lose nothing from having the real watch you've never worn sitting on a shelf.
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 01:02 PM   #25
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

It has been my experience that I usually regret not getting the watch I "really" wanted. Get the Diver while you have the funds, it will be easier to buy a Marinemaster or Supermarine down the road, if you miss them.

I sold all my watches (including 2 Rolex) to fund a Diver and a RO. I´m very happy with my decision.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2011, 01:28 PM   #26
h999r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrés G View Post
It has been my experience that I usually regret not getting the watch I "really" wanted. Get the Diver while you have the funds, it will be easier to buy a Marinemaster or Supermarine down the road, if you miss them.

I sold all my watches (including 2 Rolex) to fund a Diver and a RO. I´m very happy with my decision.
As my watch dealer told me ... you just graduated from Rolex :)
Old 10 August 2011, 01:29 PM   #27
h999r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
..but I would have to have at least one Rolex in my collection.
To me, Rolex is much more wearable on a day to day basis.
That being said, it sounds like you're really yearning for the Diver so why not give it a go?.. It's a great watch!
Totally agreed
Old 10 August 2011, 11:54 PM   #28
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clew84 View Post
At least sell the Bremont to start saving for the AP. Why keep it if you've never worn it? Cut out a picture of it and put it on the shelf, sell the real watch, use the money to start saving for the AP, and you lose nothing from having the real watch you've never worn sitting on a shelf.
The only reason I haven't worn the Bremont is because I bought it as an engagement gift to myself. I am getting engaged in a couple weeks and am waiting till then to wear it. If I do sell everything off then the AP would be the engagement watch, I guess. Unless I don't do anything for the engagement and just do the AP for my wedding present. I doubt I could have everything sold off and the AP purchased in less than 2 weeks anyway....
Old 23 August 2011, 03:55 AM   #29
Ristretto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
Get the Diver, I can tell you AP is like Rolex once you get the first one there is no stopping.

I got a Royal Oak Offshore in 2009 and since then I have added a Royal Oak Offshore BumbleBee in late 2010/early 2011. In the future I dont mind getting a third one once something "really grabs my attention comes out" ohh and I dont mind being a brand ambassador. :)
Ristretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2011, 06:09 AM   #30
h999r
Banned

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alroumi View Post
Get the Diver, I can tell you AP is like Rolex once you get the first one there is no stopping.

I got a Royal Oak Offshore in 2009 and since then I have added a Royal Oak Offshore BumbleBee in late 2010/early 2011. In the future I dont mind getting a third one once something "really grabs my attention comes out" ohh and I dont mind being a brand ambassador. :)
Absolutely addictive