The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 January 2020, 09:07 AM   #1
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
116508 dilemma

My name is on a 116508 green dial Daytona at my local AD, coming sometime in 2020. The price has gone up quite a bit more than I anticipated to $36,500 U.S. Add in my sales tax (which was always the case anyway) but now I'm looking at a 40 grand watch. Thinking about switching to two watches, a Sky-Dweller, SS or TT and any dial, and the TT Sea Dweller, both watches for less than the 116508. Probably will both get more wrist time than the Daytona.

Just curious what you good people here think?

Cheers!
Old 8 January 2020, 09:14 AM   #2
WWC
"TRF" Member

The lesson to learn is to never settle. Get what you want cause in the end that’s what your heart is beating for. I’ve settled and it doesn’t work and you’ll end up going back to what you initially intended to get.

Good luck!
Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | DEEPSEA 126660 | Explorer 214270 | GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | GMT Master II VTNR 126720 | Submariner LV 16610 | Sky-Dweller 326139 | Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 09:17 AM   #3
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
As has already been stated. Don't settle!! I would rather have the one I want for 40K vs a I settled for for 10K
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

I couldn't agree more. I have a SkyD and think it the perfect all round watch. A bit of presence, gmt function, date and month function that only needs altering once a year. A novel bezel for altering and setting. In addition it's one of those watches that seems to work well whether in most situations. I've never owned a tt sea dweller but I tried one on once. A nice watch! These Daytona's are being given an excessive amount of hype these days. There are lots of stunning alternative chrono out there offering far better value. I think you are making the right decision. I paid in excess of msrp for my Pepsi and I often think it was a silly thing to do but at the time I believed it was the only way I would get one before i pegged it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 09:53 AM   #5
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
I couldn't agree more. I have a SkyD and think it the perfect all round watch. A bit of presence, gmt function, date and month function that only needs altering once a year. A novel bezel for altering and setting. In addition it's one of those watches that seems to work well whether in most situations. I've never owned a tt sea dweller but I tried one on once. A nice watch! These Daytona's are being given an excessive amount of hype these days. There are lots of stunning alternative chrono out there offering far better value. I think you are making the right decision. I paid in excess of msrp for my Pepsi and I often think it was a silly thing to do but at the time I believed it was the only way I would get one before i pegged it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Interesting perspectives here from everyone so far. Did I mention I already have a YG Daytona as pictured in my profile so as much as the green one really is so beautiful to me, I’m still having this dilemma....
Old 8 January 2020, 09:56 AM   #6
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Have you thought about selling the other YG Daytona to fund the new one?
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 10:39 AM   #7
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post

I second this, and maybe use the difference of savings toward the SkyD!

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:13 PM   #8
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
Good idea but I made up my mind after selling three Submariners including a Kermit plus one President, one YG Daytona on a strap and one TT GMT Master over the years, I’m never selling a Rolex ever again. So it’s not completely about the money this time, it’s almost like the Jan 1 price increase took my by surprise. The AD told me I could have the next green Daytona last summer and I hadn’t even imagined the price would increase by over 2 grand so as I said, it was a little off putting and so the price reached a cost line I wasn’t prepared to cross? I may still get it but I’m considering the alternatives I mentioned.
Old 8 January 2020, 01:44 PM   #9
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
You had your heart set on the Green Daytona, I would say go for it, I think there may be some regret if you go the other route you mentioned.
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:46 PM   #10
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Buy what you like, but the main reply theme so far is compromising can be painful.

I understand your thinking and appreciate you checking out different possibilities-it's always good to know your choices. Plus, knowing what's out there is useful and good fun.

But really, what's the difference between a 38k or 40k piece anyway? That stratified level of watch should not be decided by a couple of grand especially if you've found your heart's desire.

Just my random thoughts and I hope things work out for you. Please report back and let us know.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:50 PM   #11
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsoftee View Post
You had your heart set on the Green Daytona, I would say go for it, I think there may be some regret if you go the other route you mentioned.
A couple of other guys have made a similar statement and it does make sense. I definitely appreciate hearing this.
Old 8 January 2020, 01:53 PM   #12
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
Buy what you like, but the main reply theme so far is compromising can be painful.

I understand your thinking and appreciate you checking out different possibilities-it's always good to know your choices. Plus, knowing what's out there is useful and good fun.

But really, what's the difference between a 38k or 40k piece anyway? That stratified level of watch should not be decided by a couple of grand especially if you've found your heart's desire.

Just my random thoughts and I hope things work out for you. Please report back and let us know.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Thanks so much! I plan to do just that. I have no idea when the watch will actually arrive but if I get it, I will reopen this thread and post a photo. I’ve actually never seen one of these except online mostly.
Old 8 January 2020, 02:20 PM   #13
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I think your current Paul Newman dial looks better. The green is very nice (tried it on), but personally speaking, a Daytona looks better with a Panda Dial look.
Old 8 January 2020, 10:50 PM   #14
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod297 View Post
I think your current Paul Newman dial looks better. The green is very nice (tried it on), but personally speaking, a Daytona looks better with a Panda Dial look.
That’s interesting. Is the green dial as stunning and beautiful in person as the ones I’ve seen in print and on TV? I realize how advertising works to get the best image but I’ve seen a couple live on TV and it looked very cool to me. I am keeping the Paul Newman which I’ve had about 20 years.
Old 8 January 2020, 11:59 PM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
A few random, and probably unhelpful, thoughts:

Had the green dial and wasn't all that impressed. As another poster said, there are other dials far more interesting and appealing. (to me, of course)

The two TT watches wouldn't interest me, but if those are grails for you, by all means go for them.

We're talking about 40k here. That should get you something special, something you'll cherish for the rest of your life. If there's nothing in the current line up does that, well, I'd hang on to that 40k until you find something that does.

Good luck!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 12:10 AM   #16
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Since you already have a Daytona and IMHO a better looking one than the green dial, that niche is filled. I would add another couple of pieces such as you suggested which isn’t any kind of comprise as far as I’m concerned or look at other brands. There are a lot of gorgeous watches out there in the $30-40k range that are special. AP, Patek and others to name a couple.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 12:20 AM   #17
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
Since you already have a Daytona and IMHO a better looking one than the green dial, that niche is filled. I would add another couple of pieces such as you suggested which isn’t any kind of comprise as far as I’m concerned or look at other brands. There are a lot of gorgeous watches out there in the $30-40k range that are special. AP, Patek and others to name a couple.
I've always admired Pateks and I must admit, my AD also carries Patek but IMO, you get so much more watch for the money with Rolex which is why I guess I'm such a fan of them. However, great suggestions and I am certainly looking at these alternatives while I have time.
Old 9 January 2020, 12:25 AM   #18
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

If you’re that worried about a ~5% cost increase and paying tax maybe it’s not a good time to pick up such a piece

I’d recommend one SS or TT pice here reading between the lines

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 12:27 AM   #19
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Having had examples of both, I find the Sky Dweller to be a much superior watch.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 01:19 AM   #20
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Having had examples of both, I find the Sky Dweller to be a much superior watch.
The Sky Dweller seems very interesting to me also. It’s something I had not looked at until recently on a trip to Paris. It was the only cool watch in the ADs cases. Anyway, I’m considering it or a Patek although probably not easy to get either.
Old 9 January 2020, 01:26 AM   #21
maximus1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Here is a picture from a few years back.
The Green can look so different depending on the lighting and can seem very dark, almost black out of the direct light. The Gold and Green compliment each other and make a very nice combination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Green Daytona.jpeg (166.7 KB, 448 views)
maximus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:01 AM   #22
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah, I really like the look of this watch. Hotrod 297 said it best. He liked my current YG Daytona Paul Newman dial more than this one and I tend to agree. I like them both but I already have the PN so I think I've made up my mind to go with the Sky-Dweller, SS, Blue dial and the Sea Dweller TT...Obviously all of us here have this watch affliction in varying degrees. I have it bad and I'm starting to get up there in years so better enjoy what I can while I can :)

Speaking of affliction, another astute comment was to check out Patek and others. I saw the blue dial, rose gold, 5396 i believe at the AD today, so good looking, but almost 50k and they wont negotiate at all...

Old 9 January 2020, 07:21 AM   #23
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Yeah, I really like the look of this watch. Hotrod 297 said it best. He liked my current YG Daytona Paul Newman dial more than this one and I tend to agree. I like them both but I already have the PN so I think I've made up my mind to go with the Sky-Dweller, SS, Blue dial and the Sea Dweller TT...Obviously all of us here have this watch affliction in varying degrees. I have it bad and I'm starting to get up there in years so better enjoy what I can while I can :)

Speaking of affliction, another astute comment was to check out Patek and others. I saw the blue dial, rose gold, 5396 i believe at the AD today, so good looking, but almost 50k and they wont negotiate at all...

Or wait for Baselworld 2020?
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:31 AM   #24
Peterside
"TRF" Member

Wise words from decent men! Never Settle for less, the heart wants what it wants.
Peterside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 10:55 AM   #25
Fleegle
"TRF" Member

Go see a green dial, even if it's at a grey dealer. Only then can you make a rational decision.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 02:02 PM   #26
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks all!!!
Old 9 January 2020, 02:10 PM   #27
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
From all the stuff I’ve seen in my 63yrs it’s if you have your heart on a green dial Rolex, get the green dial Rolex.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 02:22 PM   #28
cat1pro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod297 View Post

Your current YG Daytona is my favorite!
cat1pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 01:17 PM   #29
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1pro View Post

Your current YG Daytona is my favorite!
I certainly agree, my favorite too.
Old 10 January 2020, 01:25 PM   #30
garyk