The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 April 2020, 12:53 AM   #1
athom
"TRF" Member

How to recognize that a 16520 has been polished ?

Hi mate, I was thinking a bit further than to create every day new posts in order to ask you how you like the condition of all the black 16520 daytonas I've found...So this thread I created here is to ask you "How to recognize that a 16520 has been polished ?" I can tell you if a 5513 or a 1675, etc... have been polished but I can't even see if a 16520 is over polished and that it getting on my nerves...so please help me !

Also I'd add how to recognize a service bezel ? And for what variation.s is the bezel with long / short 6, I don't know how to call it, just have a look at the pic attached.

Many thanks for considering my request and stay safe mates !

athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 01:57 AM   #2
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
If you can’t tell that it’s been polished then why does it matter? Perhaps we should all stop basing our likes and dislikes by what other people on the internet tell us we should like. Perhaps we should all just enjoy what pleases us. This is one guy that’s really sick of the polishing talk.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 02:05 AM   #3
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Horologist View Post
If you can’t tell that it’s been polished then why does it matter? Perhaps we should all stop basing our likes and dislikes by what other people on the internet tell us we should like. Perhaps we should all just enjoy what pleases us. This is one guy that’s really sick of the polishing talk.
Agreed. What is important is when a watch loses its form due to poor polishing. If something been polished as lightly and well that it is hard notice. Just enjoy the watch instead.
Old 13 April 2020, 02:25 AM   #4
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That you be easy but the fact is that money should follow condition...If it slightly polished I'm also fine with it. I don't want to buy something a certain price and if one day I've to sell it I'd only get half the price...It'd be like buying a rusty car the same price as one in good condition...personally, I don't know any one that likes over polished watches and rusty cars...
Old 13 April 2020, 02:26 AM   #5
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Agreed. What is important is when a watch loses its form due to poor polishing. If something been polished as lightly and well that it is hard notice. Just enjoy the watch instead.
Agreed. Unpolished or slightly polished that you do not see it is the same for me...I'm more talking about watches that are badly or too much polished...
Old 13 April 2020, 02:36 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Properly refinishing or "polishing" watch cases and bracelets has been an industry standard for many decades. Nothing has changed and nothing will since the greatest majority of watch owners prefer a nice, clean professionally refinished watch case to a dinged and scratched example.

The "unpolished" watch aficionados are relegated to forums and blogs vs the majority of watch owners that prefer a nice, clean refinished watch at service time. The "unpolished" watch craze is a rather new phenomenon to the watch collecting community where it was promoted by dealers a little over a decade ago as a method of promoting and selling their watches.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 02:52 AM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Refinishing or "polishing" watch cases and bracelets has been an industry standard for many decades. Nothing has changed and nothing will since the greatest majority of watch owners prefer a nice clean watch to a dinged and scratched example.

The "unpolished" watch aficionados are relegated to forums and blogs vs the majority of watch owners that prefer a nice, clean refinished watch at service time. The "unpolished" watch craze is a rather new phenomenon to the watch collecting community where it was promoted by dealers a little over a decade ago as a method of promoting and selling their watches.
The tide may be turning. Now that there are several shops refinishing Rolex cases in a more authentic way (including laser welding as necessary), I am noticing that several major dealers have many listings that say "just returned from polishing".
Old 13 April 2020, 05:30 AM   #8
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
The tide may be turning. Now that there are several shops refinishing Rolex cases in a more authentic way (including laser welding as necessary), I am noticing that several major dealers have many listings that say "just returned from polishing".
I see a lot of famous dealers selling watches from the 60s or 70s "in a perfect condition" which can only be refinished to look that new and they do not say anything about it...

However let's forget about the "unpolished" word that gives to people heart attack....what I'm asking here, is just how to recognize - easily - that a 16520 has a case in a (very) good condition....nothing more...

Thanks !
Old 13 April 2020, 05:52 AM   #9
GB2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athom View Post
I see a lot of famous dealers selling watches from the 60s or 70s "in a perfect condition" which can only be refinished to look that new and they do not say anything about it...

However let's forget about the "unpolished" word that gives to people heart attack....what I'm asking here, is just how to recognize - easily - that a 16520 has a case in a (very) good condition....nothing more...

Thanks !
Just look at it !
GB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 05:53 AM   #10
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:

Thanks !
It’s a modern watch. They all look the same. ;)

Fat case with sharp edges (case and bezel) and correct satin finish on top. What else to ask for?
Old 13 April 2020, 08:26 AM   #11
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
This is exactly my point. If you don’t know how to differentiate, then don’t worry about it. Us telling you how to tell isn’t something that can really happen.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 08:37 AM   #12
1665fan
"TRF" Member

%95 of 16520 have been polished and or newer bezel as well
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 10:08 AM   #13
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Why not just search for photos of an NOS example online and compare it to the watch(es) you're looking at? That’s really all you need.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 10:24 AM   #14
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Why not just search for photos of an NOS example online and compare it to the watch(es) you're looking at? That’s really all you need.
Bingo...and pay NoS prices around 40k If that’s what you want...
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 04:41 PM   #15
rrod
"TRF" Member

This. I use the top-tier dealers' SOLD section on their web-sites. I would normally go through ~10 sold examples, and compare what I see on the pictures with the case description. After doing this I normally get a good idea of what the bevels, lines, lug thickness and finishing should be like.

Quote:
rrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:03 AM   #16
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Bingo...and pay NoS prices around 40k If that’s what you want...
Nah, you don't need to buy an NOS example to use one as a comparison.

OP, if you want a truly unpolished example keep in mind it most likely will look a little beat-up, unless you do indeed want an NOS example. That can be cool too, but you need to accept scratches.

Here's one I was considering a few months back. Guaranteed unpolished. Super fat case with razor sharp lugs. I saw it several times in person, louped it, compared it with NOS examples, etc ... It came from the original owner, who insisted it had never been serviced or polished. There was barely a surface on it that wasn't scratched or nicked up, which had its own appeal, but in the end, I didn't buy it because it was just so raw. I'll probably regret that one day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16520 Case3 -TRF.jpg (249.6 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg 16520-Case 2-TRF.jpg (284.1 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg 16520-Case-TRF.jpg (267.3 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg 16520 Case-4-TRF.jpg (292.1 KB, 319 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 03:14 AM   #17
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And me
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 04:48 AM   #18
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nah, you don't need to buy an NOS example to use one as a comparison.

OP, if you want a truly unpolished example keep in mind it most likely will look a little beat-up, unless you do indeed want an NOS example. That can be cool too, but you need to accept scratches.

Here's one I was considering a few months back. Guaranteed unpolished. Super fat case with razor sharp lugs. I saw it several times in person, louped it, compared it with NOS examples, etc ... It came from the original owner, who insisted it had never been serviced or polished. There was barely a surface on it that wasn't scratched or nicked up, which had its own appeal, but in the end, I didn't buy it because it was just so raw. I'll probably regret that one day.
Thanks Aaron, like you know I don't want a NOS one because I wear watches I buy...I like scratches for watches that lived...no problem. Thanks !
Old 14 April 2020, 04:52 AM   #19
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is exactly my point. If you don’t know how to differentiate, then don’t worry about it. Us telling you how to tell isn’t something that can really happen.
But if someone finds a car that for him looks nice and then shows it to me then ask me if he shall buy it or not and I know more about cars and I personally see bad things, I'd tell him directly...

I would not tell him "ok if you like it buy it" and then it doesn't start after some weeks....especially if it costs the same price as one in good condition...

Isn't it the point of a forum to help each other and share knowledge...?
Old 14 April 2020, 02:58 PM   #20
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
OP, There's nothing wrong with a polished watch. If you just keep a pic of a NOS one and compare it to the watch you find, you can fairly judge the condition and what is acceptable to you. The eg you gave above is different. Polished is not the same as seeing bad/technical issues with a car.
Even with your query, you will likely get different acceptable opinions of "over polished". What's ok for some, might not be ok for others.
Regards.
swaini3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 08:30 PM   #21
WCHROLX
Banned

Quote:

Thanks !
Really a good one instead of the original thread
WCHROLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 10:45 PM   #22
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
When buying certain models like a 16520, I prefer unpolished myself. I do think professionally polished examples are A-OK if done right. Personally I find too many pre-2000s watches abused by some polishers or DIYers. It happens. I think some polishers back in the day polished too much or at the buyers request, polished too often. The market was different back then.

Granted it can be hard to tell by pics. For me, the easiest ways to tell if a watch has been over-polished are 1) looking at the Rolex coronet on the clasp. If it appears flat or blends into the background, it was prob over polished, 2) the case's edges (see link below for Bevels vs. Chamfers) should be kinda distinctive / sharp. Note: the 16520's case has an overall curved design (kinda like the Tudor Chrono from the late 1990s but not as much) so don't compare it to 5-6 digit Subs & GMTs.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=457056

Quote:
But if someone finds a car that for him looks nice and then shows it to me then ask me if he shall buy it or not and I know more about cars and I personally see bad things, I'd tell him directly...

I would not tell him "ok if you like it buy it" and then it doesn't start after some weeks....especially if it costs the same price as one in good condition...

Isn't it the point of a forum to help each other and share knowledge...?
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 05:37 AM   #23
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
When buying certain models like a 16520, I prefer unpolished myself. I do think professionally polished examples are A-OK if done right. Personally I find too many pre-2000s watches abused by some polishers or DIYers. It happens. I think some polishers back in the day polished too much or at the buyers request, polished too often. The market was different back then.

Granted it can be hard to tell by pics. For me, the easiest ways to tell if a watch has been over-polished are 1) looking at the Rolex coronet on the clasp. If it appears flat or blends into the background, it was prob over polished, 2) the case's edges (see link below for Bevels vs. Chamfers) should be kinda distinctive / sharp. Note: the 16520's case has an overall curved design (kinda like the Tudor Chrono from the late 1990s but not as much) so don't compare it to 5-6 digit Subs & GMTs.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=457056
Many thanks for your explanation!
Old 17 April 2020, 05:50 AM   #24
Michael M.
Banned

One the easiest tells is the bezel; a polished bezel have have lost its sharp beveled edge and usually has distortion around the engraved numbers.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16520 , daytona