The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 May 2020, 02:04 PM   #1
YYR
"TRF" Member

Lume

This is not something I knew when I first got into watches,but apparently lume is only activated by sunlight, is this really a practical feature? Like wouldn’t you usually use the loom when it’s dark outside or at night? Seems counter productive to me.

Now don’t get me wrong I love seeing the lume on my watch light up, but I doubt they put loom on watches to Brighton my day!
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 02:55 PM   #2
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR View Post
This is not something I knew when I first got into watches,but apparently lume is only activated by sunlight, is this really a practical feature? Like wouldn’t you usually use the loom when it’s dark outside or at night? Seems counter productive to me.

Now don’t get me wrong I love seeing the lume on my watch light up, but I doubt they put loom on watches to Brighton my day!
It is mostly activated by sunlight/UV light. That bright glow you see when you come indoors after being outside or whatever quickly goes away. The lume is for when you don't have enough light to see the time. Get a UV light or a bright light and charge the lume, and set your alarm for hours later. You'll wake up with your eyes adjusted to the darkness, and you'll be able to read the time.

It's designed to make reading the time possible in darkness, not to make reading the time extra bright when you can already read the time.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 03:12 PM   #3
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Just zap it with a powerful flashlight for a few seconds and you are good to go.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 10:30 PM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Get this flashlight for $17, your lume will love it :)

https://amzn.to/2LxMiCI

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 11:07 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Any strong light whether its natural sunlight or artificial will charge the lume thats best read in a very very dark room.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 11:18 PM   #6
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Get this flashlight for $17, your lume will love it :)

https://amzn.to/2LxMiCI

HAHAHA

I use this exact one.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 12:37 AM   #7
YYR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
It is mostly activated by sunlight/UV light. That bright glow you see when you come indoors after being outside or whatever quickly goes away. The lume is for when you don't have enough light to see the time. Get a UV light or a bright light and charge the lume, and set your alarm for hours later. You'll wake up with your eyes adjusted to the darkness, and you'll be able to read the time.

It's designed to make reading the time possible in darkness, not to make reading the time extra bright when you can already read the time.
I understand that it’s not designed to be used in the light! And that’s the issue, because that’s when it’s works best! It doesn’t make sense to me to need to recharge your loom when you want to use it, The whole point is that you can just glance over at your watch when your in a dark place and still be able to tell time, the point is not to be intentional about it and how plan ahead in order to see the loom, while watches are not tools these days that’s what they wore made for and it doesn’t make to much sense that you need to plan before using this basic feature, that would be like saying that my date only watch is a perpetual calendar all you need to do is make sure to set it on the first day of every month, other then that it’s a perpetual, the whole point of a perpetual is that you don’t need to be intentional about it and it still tells you the correct date, I would argue that the same should be with the loom, the need to be intentional about the loom and plan ahead, kind off misses the boat.
Old 18 May 2020, 12:49 AM   #8
tjs1295
"TRF" Member

I wear a 116610LN on every hunting and fishing trip I go on. Many trips we stay in rustic cabins or tents with no electricity. Phones usually don't work, and I never have one in the same room I sleep in anyway. The lume on my watch works all night long, and I'm able to read the watch at a quick glance if I wake up during the night and wonder how much time I have left to sleep. I do keep a flashlight close by if I need to get up, but otherwise I don't need it to check the time. We're usually in close quarters, so I don't want to wake anyone with my flashlight. My eyes aren't that great either. I'm 45 years old and need glasses to read. Bottom line is the lume works great for me.
tjs1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 12:49 AM   #9
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

When I notice a practical use of my lume is going in and out of darker buildings during the day. On vacation, the lume almost is comically bright on dark rides as it gets a direct charge walking the park between rides.

Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 12:55 AM   #10
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
I understand that it’s not designed to be used in the light! And that’s the issue, because that’s when it’s works best! It doesn’t make sense to me to need to recharge your loom when you want to use it, The whole point is that you can just glance over at your watch when your in a dark place and still be able to tell time, the point is not to be intentional about it and how plan ahead in order to see the loom, while watches are not tools these days that’s what they wore made for and it doesn’t make to much sense that you need to plan before using this basic feature, that would be like saying that my date only watch is a perpetual calendar all you need to do is make sure to set it on the first day of every month, other then that it’s a perpetual, the whole point of a perpetual is that you don’t need to be intentional about it and it still tells you the correct date, I would argue that the same should be with the loom, the need to be intentional about the loom and plan ahead, kind off misses the boat.

There are watches with better lume. If you wear a Seiko all day, and aren’t locked up in your office all day, then wake up at 4am, the lume will be brighter than that of a Rolex

And you can read the time better as a consequence

And yes, you didn’t have to charge the lume with the purpose of waking up at 4am to a bad dream lol

I understand what you are explaining above

I’ve read some posts where a guy has a flash light by his bed, so if he wakes up at night, he quickly charges the lume on his watch before checking the time

Seriously

It was a post here on the forum

If I had a flashlight by my bed, might as well use it to see the darn watch!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 12:56 AM   #11
YYR
"TRF" Member

Nice! Thanks for the responses! As I understand though Rolex is the outlier when it comes to lume as thier lume lasts many hours
Old 18 May 2020, 01:01 AM   #12
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
There are watches with better lume. If you wear a Seiko all day, and aren’t locked up in your office all day, then wake up at 4am, the lume will be brighter than that of a Rolex

And yes, you didn’t have to charge the lume with the purpose of waking up at 4am to a bad dream lol

I’ve read some posts where a guy has a flash light by his bed, so if he wakes up at night, he quickly charges the lume on his watch before checking the time

Seriously

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 01:02 AM   #13
tjs1295
"TRF" Member

I've had multiple brands, and have been able to read them all under the situations I described above. They were all dive watches, so that makes a difference. Not sure if I could read a Datejust.
tjs1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 01:03 AM   #14
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

That is the case of modern watch lume in such health conscious times. Historically radium or tritium were used, both of which didn't require external sources of energy to glow however they were hazardous to health.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 01:08 AM   #15
YYR
"TRF" Member

Seriously

If I had a flashlight by my bed, might as well use it to see the darn watch![/QUOTE]

Couldn’t agree more! Well said!
Old 18 May 2020, 01:09 AM   #16
YYR
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Seriously

Well said! Couldn’t agree more!
Old 18 May 2020, 02:33 AM   #17
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post

True story! Hahaha

I remember thinking “come on dude!”

Haha
Old 18 May 2020, 02:41 AM   #18
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Well said! Couldn’t agree more!

Yeah some members take watches way too seriously.

I chose my Datejust to be lumeless for a few reasons

1. Rolex lume isn’t the best. I’m sure if I charged it with a uv light for 30min before going to sleep, it would work at night, but I don’t have the energy or the time for that. So I just wanted something without lume instead.

2. I’ve seen beautiful old watches that are very neat and scratched and stuff (I like that). Then I look closely and they are missing lume in places, or have been relumed. Which both bother me. So I bought a watch without lume so that 50 years from now, it looks nice and beat up, and is missing anything inside the dial or on the hands

Old 18 May 2020, 02:54 AM   #19
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
I understand that it’s not designed to be used in the light! And that’s the issue, because that’s when it’s works best! It doesn’t make sense to me to need to recharge your loom when you want to use it, The whole point is that you can just glance over at your watch when your in a dark place and still be able to tell time, . . . .
In the early days the watch paint was radium. It still glows and will for another thousand years or so, but it was a health issue.

Lume was then changed to tritium because it was less of a health risk, but it degraded after about a decade, and still presented a health issue if ingested.

The latest lume is a compromise and made up of photoluminescent paint, the same stuff used on outdoor street signs. Light excites it and it slowly returns to a non-excited state over time.

Personally, I seldom find a time or place when I can't find a light source of some sort to see the time if I really need it; watch lume isn't a big deal.
Old 18 May 2020, 03:01 AM   #20
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
True story! Hahaha

I remember thinking “come on dude!”

Haha
Things that we only see on watch forums!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 03:56 AM   #21
Mifune
Banned

does anyone know if the current generation of lume in Rolex pieces have a life expectancy?
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 04:06 AM   #22
campfire
"TRF" Member

I've never really paid much attention. But for the few times that I need the lume to read the time in the dark, the normal usage of the watch has been enough to charge the lume.

Interestingly, I have watches that have no lume. And I get slightly annoyed when I see absolutely nothing when I need to reflexively check the time in the dark.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 05:54 AM   #23
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
Things that we only see on watch forums!

Of course hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 May 2020, 05:57 AM   #24
XplusYplusZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC Calendar Moon
Good fresh lume lasts, for hours into the night. I think for diving, you’d generally pass a torch over the watch in order to see it..
XplusYplusZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 08:42 AM   #25
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You may have misunderstood what I was saying. I'm simply saying that if your watch has seen sunlight or UV or any kind of light for that matter within the last few hours, you should be able to see the lume once your eyes have adjusted to the darkness. The initial brightness of it disappears within a minute of "charging" it, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 08:59 AM   #26
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
DMBD
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 12:05 PM   #27
YYR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
You may have misunderstood what I was saying. I'm simply saying that if your watch has seen sunlight or UV or any kind of light for that matter within the last few hours, you should be able to see the lume once your eyes have adjusted to the darkness. The initial brightness of it disappears within a minute of "charging" it, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
Thanks

Tags
lume , radium , rolex , submariner , tritium