The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 June 2020, 03:54 AM   #121
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

"I really wanted the new Daytona C 116500"...

Oh course you did...

Then the story about the fruitless search goes on and on....

Why would the AD sell one to you, without any purchase history?

It's a DEAD END sale. They need that watch to sell to customers who are continually buying, thus keeping the buying cycle in their store going...selling it to the OP is a waste of resources.

As for resources, I highly doubt that if Rolex cranked out and wildly distributed SS Daytona's so that they were 100% available @ 100% of AD's, that the people complaining about NOT being able to get one, would even consider buying it...

There are countless chronographs (and divers / GMT) from other luxury brands that are immediately available without any issue what so ever....but guess what? Nobody really wants them. They just sit in the display cases while the majority of consumers cram into the AD's to get their chance at the SS Daytona, PEPSI and SUB.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 03:57 AM   #122
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Yep I think I'm going 114060 grey
You can’t go wrong with a 114060..... gorgeous watch and not hugely over retail compared to others
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:00 AM   #123
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

... as a result, whatever Rolex you end up buying will be worth far more years from now. Why? Because they are clearly selling watches below market value.

To correct this, Rolex would have to raise Daytona SS to $22k, Sub LN to $11k, Sub LV to $15k, GMT BLRO SS to $17k and BLNR to $14k. All other SS professional watches would need 20% hike, and SS Skydweller depending on dial color would need to be $19-23k.

If Rolex priced at “market values”, then this would all go away, but a lot of people wouldn’t be able to buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:00 AM   #124
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

What is really funny here. Many only want a Rolex watch because they are hard to get and may generate a quick profit.

When these watches were widely available at ADs, most were just gathering dust in display cases selling much more slowly.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:03 AM   #125
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
I love their use of newer materials. I love their quick change bracelet setup. And I really like the no nonsense look of their subs. It's not trying to be a piece of jewelry, and I appreciate the fact that you won't see one often on others.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That’s fair — and those are some of the things that really attracted me to the brand back in 2015/2016.

But they started going down a misguided path and people thought the new ceo would turn that around.
Instead, he’s raised prices, and focused on materials. A Carbotech (essentially a glorified forum of super plastic) sub with the same movement as they previously put in $6k watches — for $17k !?? How does that make any sense ??

I feel like Panerai is dangerously close to going down the hublot route, although when you think about it, hublot’s Big Bang line has pieces far more interesting and tech driven (movement wise) than anything Panerai has.

bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:11 AM   #126
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
That’s fair — and those are some of the things that really attracted me to the brand back in 2015/2016.

But they started going down a misguided path and people thought the new ceo would turn that around.
Instead, he’s raised prices, and focused on materials. A Carbotech (essentially a glorified forum of super plastic) sub with the same movement as they previously put in $6k watches — for $17k !?? How does that make any sense ??

I feel like Panerai is dangerously close to going down the hublot route, although when you think about it, hublot’s Big Bang line has pieces far more interesting and tech driven (movement wise) than anything Panerai has.

2015/2016 was a bit late in the game ,models before 2008 ... 127/217/249/232 /232 /111 etc.

Sorry,off the Rolex rant topic now .. Its like a cannot find Daytona thread ending in red Scuderia mags .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:25 AM   #127
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
OP,
You’re a young guy and obviously have the Rolex watch bug like a lot of us. It’s time you stopped buying Gray and bought from an AD to establish a relationship. It will pay dividends in the long term. Some things cannot be rushed and this is one of them. If you read TRF closely you will find most who have the hot watches you want have had established relationships with their AD purchasing over many years. I count myself in that group. There is the occasional bundle buyer with little to no history but that’s not the norm frankly. As an aside, have you tried on the 114060? I have both the Explorer you turned down and the 114060 and I can tell you the Sub is way larger and heavier than the Explorer 39. I have a hard time understanding why you think the Sub will fit you better than the EXP without trying it on.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:26 AM   #128
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
Ever since I started into the watch hobby, this has always been the Rolex enthusiast's calling card.
"Buy a Rolex and you can sell it for the same price you bought it, maybe even higher."
"You're not buying a Rolex, you're just renting it."

Let's face it, this is the core of Rolex ownership. This is what pushes people to buying: low financial risk.

"Man, $9k is a lot of money for a Sub. But it's ok, if I sell it I'll get my money back."

If Rolex doesn't have good resale value, all of the flippers and half of the Rolex WIS here would disappear overnight.
I agree with the content of your post 100%
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:31 AM   #129
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
2015/2016 was a bit late in the game ,models before 2008 ... 127/217/249/232 /232 /111 etc.

Sorry,off the Rolex rant topic now .. Its like a cannot find Daytona thread ending in red Scuderia mags .

Oh I know. 2015/2016 was well past the glory years for Panerai. I’m simply making the point that even compared to 2016, Panerai continues to move in the wrong direction, contrary to what many thought would happen when their new ceo came on board.

bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:31 AM   #130
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The market is what it is. Rolex is already at full production, from what we can surmise, with about a million watches a year being built. Rolex is committed to being a full line producer and therefore, also produces Cellini, PM and TT models. Contrary to what many people think the company sells a lot TT and PM models.
I agree that the precious metal and, or, two tone models do sell thru very well.
And I will add to your post that (from a business perspective) it greatly helps the Rolex brand strength and image to have PM and TT within the product line and selling well.
Old 24 June 2020, 04:34 AM   #131
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
OP,
You’re a young guy and obviously have the Rolex watch bug like a lot of us. It’s time you stopped buying Gray and bought from an AD to establish a relationship. It will pay dividends in the long term. Some things cannot be rushed and this is one of them. If you read TRF closely you will find most who have the hot watches you want have had established relationships with their AD purchasing over many years. I count myself in that group. There is the occasional bundle buyer with little to no history but that’s not the norm frankly. As an aside, have you tried on the 114060? I have both the Explorer you turned down and the 114060 and I can tell you the Sub is way larger and heavier than the Explorer 39. I have a hard time understanding how you think the Sub will fit you better than the EXP without trying it on.
Thanks for the advice! I tried on the two-tone sub for size, it does feel chunkier than the explorer 1. Something about the explorer 1 didn't sit well with me, the time only style with small bezel and long lugs looked off on my wrist. The sub seems to feel more proportioned, while it is the larger watch it looks better visually on me I found.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:36 AM   #132
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I tried on the two-tone sub for size, it does feel chunkier than the explorer 1. Something about the explorer 1 didn't sit well with me, the time only style with small bezel and long lugs looked off on my wrist. The sub seems to feel more proportioned, while it is the larger watch it looks better visually on me I found.

I didn’t realize you tried the Sub on. Post pics when you get the Submariner. It’s s fantastic piece.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:38 AM   #133
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
Na you don't get it, when you have a watch that resells above MSRP, it magically becomes extremely wearable with perfect proportions, didn't you know that?
I know, that Explorer wears all wrong. But the Daytonaaa, well that’s different.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:52 AM   #134
djyolky
Banned

I love my 214270, then again, I bought it so I better! Out of curiosity, have you tried the rhodium Yacht Master 40 just to see what that looks like on your wrist? I'm gonna take a stab and guess you don't like pcl or the platinum bezel, lol (because all the detractors say that), but try it.

djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:52 AM   #135
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
I know, that Explorer wears all wrong. But the Daytonaaa, well that’s different.
It does sound silly but the bezel and busier dial on the Daytona gives off a much smaller feel to the watch, probably all visual though. The time only and small bezel of the expl 1 wore large on me, I am probably overly picky but I think I have the right considering the price of the watch.
Old 24 June 2020, 04:53 AM   #136
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
I love my 214270, then again, I bought it so I better! Out of curiosity, have you tried the rhodium Yacht Master 40 just to see what that looks like on your wrist? I'm gonna take a stab and guess you don't like pcl or the platinum bezel, lol (because all the detractors say that), but try it.

I've tried both the 37 and 40, nice watches but didn't grab me too much
Old 24 June 2020, 05:36 AM   #137
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It does sound silly but the bezel and busier dial on the Daytona gives off a much smaller feel to the watch, probably all visual though. The time only and small bezel of the expl 1 wore large on me, I am probably overly picky but I think I have the right considering the price of the watch.
I understand you produce a blog but am not sure if that means you are an aspiring writer. If by chance you are, my suggestion is to write a story of the theme that many of those customers trying to purchase from an AD the same watches as you (SS Daytona, GMT, Sub), are doing so because they believe that by paying MSRP they eliminate the risk of their investment's financial value depreciating. Other watch models are not appealing because the "instant appreciation above MSRP" is not there.
The above type theme I believe would make for more interesting reading than the common story of "buyers disgruntled at lack of ready availability for 2 or 3 models".
Old 24 June 2020, 05:52 AM   #138
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
I understand you produce a blog but am not sure if that means you are an aspiring writer. If by chance you are, my suggestion is to write a story of the theme that many of those customers trying to purchase from an AD the same watches as you (SS Daytona, GMT, Sub), are doing so because they believe that by paying MSRP they eliminate the risk of their investment's financial value depreciating. Other watch models are not appealing because the "instant appreciation above MSRP" is not there.
The above type theme I believe would make for more interesting reading than the common story of "buyers disgruntled at lack of ready availability for 2 or 3 models".
Sure that sounds like a good topic, will keep it in mind cheers
Old 24 June 2020, 07:20 AM   #139
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
When these watches were widely available at ADs, most were just gathering dust in display cases selling much more slowly.
Great post! Decades ago I'd walk in, talk to my friend / AD, sometimes buy, sometimes just to chat. Built a good collection over the years. I remember passing up on the then hot SS white face Daytona, while picking up the unloved PP Aqua.

But now things are........... different. And if you move to a new area, it feels more challenging building a relationship.

Buuuut, over time building a relationship is a good idea. Sure I've lucked into some timepieces during my world travels too.

Maybe Rolex should release a video explaining today's market. So when someone walks in asking for a Daytona or other hot model, an informative 2 minute video is played to relieve the AD from answering the 1000th 'customer' asking for one.

jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 07:36 AM   #140
LM99
Banned

The article pretty much sums it up.
LM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 09:23 AM   #141
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Great post! Decades ago I'd walk in, talk to my friend / AD, sometimes buy, sometimes just to chat. Built a good collection over the years. I remember passing up on the then hot SS white face Daytona, while picking up the unloved PP Aqua.

But now things are........... different. And if you move to a new area, it feels more challenging building a relationship.

Buuuut, over time building a relationship is a good idea. Sure I've lucked into some timepieces during my world travels too.

Maybe Rolex should release a video explaining today's market. So when someone walks in asking for a Daytona or other hot model, an informative 2 minute video is played to relieve the AD from answering the 1000th 'customer' asking for one.

jmho
Or Rolex goes 1 step further and announces a handful of the trusted sellers around here as “Authorized Grey Dealers”
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 10:18 AM   #142
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Or Rolex goes 1 step further and announces a handful of the trusted sellers around here as “Authorized Grey Dealers”
Naaa, I like the video idea better. It could go something like this:

Hi, everyone at Rolex appreciates your interest in our fine timepieces. We are grateful this provides us the ability to sponsor and support ocean exploration, mountaineers, and many fine sporting events worldwide. Due to the popularity of our products, and we must remember each one is carefully handcrafted in the finest of Swiss traditions and takes a year to make, there are periods when some models are highly desired by many enthusiasts and explorers are not available. We have an outstanding collection of timepieces, as you can see within the display cases, that are available for you today thanks to the many talented craftspeople within our state-of-the-art production facility. The special bond created while wearing a Rolex reaffirms your life's accomplishments. Rolex, a Crown for every achievement.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 24 June 2020, 10:25 AM   #143
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
What is really funny here. Many only want a Rolex watch because they are hard to get and may generate a quick profit.

I remember getting 9% discount on my MilgaussGV back in 2010...

I could chose between anything you would call SS sportsmodels today (Daytona, Subs, SeaD, GMT etc etc), but I went for the Milgauss...

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 10:31 AM   #144
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Naaa, I like the video idea better. It could go something like this:

Hi, everyone at Rolex appreciates your interest in our fine timepieces. We are grateful this provides us the ability to sponsor and support ocean exploration, mountaineers, and many fine sporting events worldwide. Due to the popularity of our products, and we must remember each one is carefully handcrafted in the finest of Swiss traditions and takes a year to make, there are periods when some models are highly desired by many enthusiasts and explorers are not available. We have an outstanding collection of timepieces, as you can see within the display cases, that are available for you today thanks to the many talented craftspeople within our state-of-the-art production facility. The special bond created while wearing a Rolex reaffirms your life's accomplishments. Rolex, a Crown for every achievement.
That was beautiful and it really is a great idea.
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 10:59 AM   #145
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
I still remember talking to over 10 different east Coast ADs a couple years ago.

The Green Sub LV was collecting dust in ADs as recently as 3.5yrs ago, some even had 3 or 4 and couldn’t give them away. Then a celebrity in China wore one in a picture that circulated on social media, and the mighty buying power of the Chinese upper middle class came down on the SubLV. The explosion in Chinese tourism meant that in (almost) every corner of the earth LVs were bought up for personal consumption or for resale to the many greys in Hong Kong and China.

Ever since then the shortage hasn’t let up.

As a result, the watch has gained such popularity globally, because it fetches a premium, and even in markets were they were collecting dust, now local buyers are lining up and get upset they can’t get the watch ‘they’ve always wanted’ and blame Rolex for manipulating the market etc.

The same happened with Louis Vuitton, Chanel and Hermes bags. In Paris, tourists are now allowed to only buy 1 bag per person because some people would just walk in and buy all stock.

The handcrafted brands cannot keep up with the enormous surge in demand from an ever growing upper middle class and their global reach.

It’s market dynamics.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 10:59 AM   #146
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
Maybe purchase a piece of jewelry for your significant other? If you don't have one of those, then maybe buy a charm for your cat. You obviously like to talk, and write, about watches. Go spend some money at one AD and they will take you much more seriously. Stick with that one and spend time getting to know them. Or...make another 200 posts about Covid tanking the luxury watch market and keep your fingers crossed.
myc ritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 11:04 AM   #147
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
That was beautiful and it really is a great idea.
A most humble thanks. Imho the video idea brings a unified message while also showcasing the brand's accomplishments and commitment to excellence. It also alleviates the AD from having to explain time and time again, which let's be honest we're sure it gets a bit... tedious.

I remember working retail during Teddy Ruxpin and Cabbage Patch Kids craze. Let's be thankful there aren't in-store fistfights for a Submariner (or outright carniage for a Daytona).

Old 24 June 2020, 12:29 PM   #148
Mozzy79
"TRF" Member

Good to know.
Mozzy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:17 PM   #149
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Matt, bear in mind establishing a relationship and going “all-in” with one AD is a risky venture. If the AD goes +1+s up or loses their Rolex license your financial and time investment in that AD goes bust and you have to start all over with a new AD. This is why many in here feel buying grey is just easier and safer.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:46 PM   #150
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Matt, bear in mind establishing a relationship and going “all-in” with one AD is a risky venture. If the AD goes +1+s up or loses their Rolex license your financial and time investment in that AD goes bust and you have to start all over with a new AD. This is why many in here feel buying grey is just easier and safer.
Totally agree, I’m not putting any effort into building a relationship with an AD anymore terrible waste of time

Tags
authorized , dealer , list , rolex , wait