The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 October 2022, 07:38 AM   #1
jameslastfan
"TRF" Member

#3116 1938

Hi

I have a modern Rolex, but looking to dip toe into the vintage models - but finding it a bit of a minefield.

I see this watch from 1938 with full set of docs and box - have already got a reduction price offer but it almost feels too complete - I see old undated papers being sold on auction sites and I guess I am wary.

Would you mind taking a look and giving a novice some guidance as to whether this looks ok - re authenticity. The premium price for the watch includes the paperwork being complete but is irrelevant if it isn’t correct.

The serial number 100xxx points me to early 1940s on some sites/ lists but another seems ok for 1937/8, but papers say clearly 1938. Could understand if the papers were after the ‘manufacture/ test’ date but not this way round.

https://imgur.com/a/0DUXtC0

Seems a reputable seller, and eBay authenticity is there I suppose.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by iancorben; 27 October 2022 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Add pics
jameslastfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 08:35 AM   #2
jameslastfan
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/a/0DUXtC0
Old 27 October 2022, 09:16 AM   #3
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I'd spend a bit more time researching the vintage market to see what shines for you. I'd class the watch in your pics as antique rather than vintage, which means it has limited appeal to collectors.

The more desirable models are from the 1960s onward. If you like that one, you might enjoy a cream dial 1601 DateJust or an 1803 Day Date, which are both no-brainers in a nice collection.

Good luck with your search.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 10:32 AM   #4
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Echoing what Zapokee said, strictly speaking, this is not vintage: it’s an antique. It’s also a very, very small watch measuring, I believe, 29mm. Which is much smaller than a later vintage-era Rolex dress watch (being 34mm or 36mm). For a lot of men, 34mm is about as small as you could go before a watch begins to look tiny.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 10:46 AM   #5
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

For $6,800 I would buy this only if you are a very advanced collector and you just want it for the box and papers.
Pre covid, these were $1,000-1,200 tops. (With out box and papers.)
I can't imagine really selling this for more that $2,000 right now (W/O B&P)
This is a 30mm manual wind watch. It is not desirable.

You would be paying almost $5,000 for the peripheral items. vs $2,000 for the watch.

Here is one I picked up on the 2nd day of a tag sale for $600. Pre-covid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imp.jpg (37.6 KB, 105 views)
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 12:58 PM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
The more desirable models are from the 1960s onward.
I think there are a few desirable Rolex models from the 1950s.
Old 27 October 2022, 04:12 PM   #7
jameslastfan
"TRF" Member

Thank you all, I agree with the size, it is small.

The B&P encouraged my interest in a mediocre watch making it interesting I suppose and getting on my radar, but it’s too much money.

I did work out how to post pictures here though, so not all lost ��. Onwards.
Old 27 October 2022, 05:18 PM   #8
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

First of all this is a VERY correct and scarce watch. Serial number lists are compiled and only a guestimation in that era. I would trust the timing cert and the other paperwork and add THAT to the compilation.....Box and papers from the 30's...is a great deal rarer than anything anyone posts. Albeit rarity is not always equitable to price....saying this is a $2000.00 watch without the paperwork is...not really accurate either. Great on Milgauss 88 for his 600.00 purchase...you couldn't duplicate that, it was a lark.

I buy and sell this type of watch all the time for 30 years nearly. Good solid handwind 10.5 ligne Rolex in steel, in something other than a speed king case...with quality dials...unmolested...it's 2500.00 all day long, probably closer to $3500.00. Yes it's not as easy of a sell and you might wait longer for the right buyer, unlike a mid year sub or datejust.

I just sold a pre reference number, 30's bubbleback style, 3 piece case hand wind watch for $3150.00 Buy it now on Ebay. Rarer case and cooler dial but same basic size.

I have seen ONE, that's right ONE, Oyster watch from the 30's with a timing certificate. I BOUGHT IT. This is TOP GRADE, EIGHTEEN JEWEL...not 17...not 2 position, CHRONOMETRE grade. 6 positions. It has the CORRECT solid arm super balance for the period. Most have been changed to the split arm. The crown is correct. The milling on the bezel looks to be unpolished...if it was it was lightly or correctly done long ago.
This is collector grade. It's also not mint. It's been worn.

I realize everybody wants a Red Sub ....cool...there are 20,000 probably our there...there were probably less than 1000 of these ever made, if that and finding one with ALL of that documentation is pretty much one of a kind.

You can buy a 1601...or 1680 or 1675.. or any number of vintage Rolex on any day of the week...any time you want...all you need is a bankroll.

This may not be the watch for you...but you won't see another like that for another 20 years probably. I agree the price is high. It probably ought to be MORE but it's not as desirable to as many people. You could probably buy that for less as you said.

The older the watch...the rarer the paperwork. It's real neat that guys from the 90s have their punch guarantee with their 16700....I would pay a premium for that...but a watch from 85 years ago...with all of that...you're not gonna walk in to your favorite vintage dealer and find that.

Not saying anyone should buy it or be vying for it...but it's fairly unique and certainly not road fill.

Soapbox down.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2022, 09:15 PM   #9
Mike Wood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Listen & Learn!
I wondered where this one ended up...I missed the auction and had intended to bid.

It hammered at £2,000 plus commission, which was cheap for an original, full-set 3116...

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...222#lotDetails

MW
Mike Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2022, 12:05 AM   #10
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
I wondered where this one ended up...I missed the auction and had intended to bid.

It hammered at £2,000 plus commission, which was cheap for an original, full-set 3116...

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...222#lotDetails

MW
Don't you think these watches are one and the same? With a different strap.
I cannot make the chronometer rating out, but the lines that have 1 digit correspond with the lines on the other listing that have 1 digit, 2 digits, 3 digits and 4 digits the same.
Old 30 October 2022, 12:21 AM   #11
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
First of all this is a VERY correct and scarce watch. .............

This may not be the watch for you...but you won't see another like that for another 20 years probably. I agree the price is high. It probably ought to be MORE but it's not as desirable to as many people. You could probably buy that for less as you said.

The older the watch...the rarer the paperwork. It's real neat that guys from the 90s have their punch guarantee with their 16700....I would pay a premium for that...but a watch from 85 years ago...with all of that...you're not gonna walk in to your favorite vintage dealer and find that.

Not saying anyone should buy it or be vying for it...but it's fairly unique and certainly not road fill.

Soapbox down.
I agree, but the buyer is going to be just as rare as the watch in my opinion.
That maybe unfortunate, but I think that is the reality.

For any body who does not know who Mike Wood is, who just posted on here. He has one of the best vintage Rolex collections in the world. When I was thinking there are very few buyers that this watch would go to, this was one of the guys that I pictured might buy it.

So..... Mike, how come you are not jumping on this listing on eBay?
Old 30 October 2022, 05:09 AM   #12
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Well, I just got a notification on my ebay account, that the seller is willing to take a 20% discount on the 3116. Willing to sell for 4,750 GBP.