The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 January 2018, 12:02 AM   #31
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Cool but where’s the promised reboot? Waiting for that
Old 20 January 2018, 01:06 AM   #32
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
bet it wont stop them dissolving faster than an aspirin.
That's rather harsh on the aspirin.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 01:13 AM   #33
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I would never buy a car because of what others think, nor would I not buy one because of what others think. If you're going to drop that kind of coin on a ride, you should love it and not give a sh1t who else owns one.

For $200K I think I could just about build that gas turbine-hybrid F350 I've always wanted.
I agree, but the G Wagon is a rare exception for me. Maybe I am jaded because of where I live, but I just wouldn’t feel comfortable driving one, despite how much I like them (the old ones, at least).
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 03:07 AM   #34
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
That's rather harsh on the aspirin.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 04:02 AM   #35
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Wes, com’on?

How can you hate this?

The AMG version is vulgar.

The lesser and more affordable non-AMG comes with a family and circle of friends that I think you could tolerate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 57E6F677-2E0E-4EA9-A13C-EECDA7EFD234.jpeg (77.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg 66DD11EB-2025-4BE3-905A-473C521547FC.jpeg (68.7 KB, 33 views)

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 04:11 AM   #36
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
love it!

Although it kind of reminds me of when I bought an adventure motorcycle. I told me with with such excitement... "Babe, I can ride this through a river!!!". I've been through a few big puddles haha.
Chadridv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 05:06 AM   #37
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I would love this but that v8 is basically a timing bomb, pun intended. I wish they would dump it at this point. They best thing Land Rover could do to re-establish itself as a real offroad/expedition vehicle is use Toyota/Lexus 5.0L V8s. It would have to save them and their customers millions. 2006-2009s were actually approaching reliable vehicles. Put in toyota/lexus engines, focus on the running gear and traction and I think Land Rover could win back the real offroad/expedition crowd (who have turned to toyota) who has been a bit gunshy at their ability to remain reliable in overland expeditions.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 05:12 AM   #38
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
love it!

Although it kind of reminds me of when I bought an adventure motorcycle. I told me with with such excitement... "Babe, I can ride this through a river!!!". I've been through a few big puddles haha.
Land Rover's are pretty good at wading. took a RR from a 30 degree decent into about 3 feet of water then up a 30 degree ascent, on all season tires. It didn't even have a rear locker. They can wade. The thing I find is most people just don't know to wade. They go too slow and I've even seen someone shut off the engine in a defender in the water .

You have to go in at a fast rate of speed (like 15-20 mph), higher than you want to traverse build that bow wave then back down to still higher than you might normally go (12-15mph). Even at the old Land Rover Offroad school at the Greenbriar where they would tell you to drive as slow as possible, as fast as necessary, maintained that you had to go fast wading (and they would go so slow up hill climbs as a point of reference, much slower than I would go up hillclimbs where momentum imho is paramount to not reversing down the hill).

I've taken 3 Range Rovers very far off the beaten path and coast to coast more than half a dozen times check out my blog if anyone is interested in reading some of these accounts: http://www.offroadrover.com , also have a book where I go into my 4 month expedition into retiming a 5.0 V8 SC: https://www.amazon.com/Cliffs-Unoffi...-Buyers-ebook/.
Old 20 January 2018, 05:17 AM   #39
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i put a rear x member in a 1956 s1 a few weeks ago ,cut the rear x member off , buffed the remains back to the chassis rails ,,, one hole about 10mm in diameter , cut a circular patch tig welded it in and it was invisible , migged the seam welds twice , one with proper amps , nice profile , then once over the top with a cooler bead more wire and a faster run , left it looking proud and beady , to look like original stick weld , a dust of chassis black , and a shot inside of acf 50 , factory finish again and good for the next thirty years ,,,
tomorrow im off to cut a 2011 chassis in half and replace it , due to rot.
landrover have not gone forwards with steel quality or rust prevention,
maybe a different story where is sunny , but in the climate we have here ,, you would need some justification to buy a land rover .they dont do anything better , in fact even as well as the Japanese equivalent.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 05:20 AM   #40
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Wes, com’on?

How can you hate this?

The lesser and more affordable non-AMG comes with a family and circle of friends that I think you could tolerate.
I don't know man, the MotorTrend guys love the G55. It's one of their favorite cars and I think they know what they are talking about. Check out some of the head to heads and ignition on netflix, those shows are so fun.
Old 20 January 2018, 05:30 AM   #41
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I don't know man, the MotorTrend guys love the G55. It's one of their favorite cars and I think they know what they are talking about. Check out some of the head to heads and ignition on netflix, those shows are so fun.
I wouldn’t turn that down.

I do understand what Wes is saying though.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 06:52 AM   #42
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Wes, com’on?

How can you hate this?

What a beast
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 02:33 PM   #43
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Wes, com’on?

How can you hate this?

Every time I see a G wagon I think of the scene in Californication where hank says “this car is givin me the fn creeps...I feel like we are rolling into the Warsaw ghetto.”

I want to love the g wagon I really do. It’s hard to deny the fact that at times you look like a bit of an @#$&&$#@ driving one. Much like wearing a Rolex you just have to accept that.