The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 19 January 2018, 05:43 AM   #1
domedcrystal
"TRF" Member

Which modern Omega Speedmaster is most true to the original moonwatch?

Hi all,

First time poster and a first time buyer checking in!

I have been eyeing the Speedmaster for a good year or so but have found myself overwhelmed with all the limited editions, the different movements, the different types of glass used, some automatic, some manual wind and so on.

A big reason as to why I really have fallen in love with this watch, in addition to its beauty, is its historical significance. Therefore, I am looking to buy a model that is most similar to the one that was on the actual moon landing.

So far, I have come to understand that I am looking for a Speedmaster that has a manual wind movement and hesalite glass but I am not entirely sure what reference number or what makes a movement better than another. I am also not sure whether to buy second and or new from an AD.

I would greatly appreciate tips and recommendations from the more experienced and that is why I have registered myself here. All tips welcome!

Thanks,
DC
domedcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 07:17 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

It would be the Speedmaster Professional with the hesalite like you said:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...1130423001005/

That's the closest modern reference (pretty much spot on visually) that has changed little since the 145.012 that was first on the moon and subsequently known as the "moonwatch."
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 07:26 AM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Hi, and welcome to The Forum!

As a Speedmaster owner myself, I can say it's an easy watch to stay in love with for a very long time. In addition to historical significance, it has tons of character that make it a joy to wear and look at every day.

The historically accurate model is named simply Speedmaster Professional, and in Omega's current catalog it is reference 311.30.42.30.01.005

This reference number represents an update about two years ago from the previous reference number 3570.50 (the reference numbering was also changed to the current, longer format). The updates coming with the current reference include a very elaborate box with a couple of straps, strap changing tools, a paper weight (?!), a loupe, etc., and a change in the bracelet's removable links from friction-fit pins to screws holding them in place. Otherwise, a pre-owned reference 3570.50 is the model that equates to a new reference 311.30.42.30.01.005

Here is a link to the model on Omega's site (I'm in the USA, so I'm not sure if this link will translate properly to Omega's site for your location): https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...1130423001005/

This is the flight-qualified watch that NASA issues to crew members.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 11:04 AM   #4
WJGESQ
Banned

"On most models, a close-up view of the Moonphase disc reveals the iconic footprint left by Neil Armstrong."

That's from the Omega website.

Does that mean you don't always get a "foot print" on the moon disc of your "moonphase"?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 11:49 PM   #5
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
It would be the Speedmaster Professional with the hesalite like you said:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...1130423001005/

That's the closest modern reference (pretty much spot on visually) that has changed little since the 145.012 that was first on the moon and subsequently known as the "moonwatch."
Yup that's the one.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 07:48 AM   #6
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Speedmaster Professional is a great watch.....wears really well particularly on a NATO.....would highly recommended it. If you take your time and hunt around you can pick up a nice one.....good luck!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote