The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 April 2015, 04:55 PM   #1
nargalzius
"TRF" Member

2nd-hand 2014 Milgauss GV (fake or not)

Hi I'm a Rolex virgin

I had purchased a 2014 Milgauss (GV) at a reasonable 2nd hand price from a seller recommended by a friend.

Now, just to be clear, I do not doubt the sincerity of both seller and friend, I'm just making sure my bases are covered (short of spending on an official authentication, which would leave me without it for 2 weeks)

The reason I'm asking is because there were three concerns I have when I was reading up on what to expect in various aspects of the watch. And I'm not sure if the Milgauss is an exception to those rules, or if I'm being TOO anal about the descriptions.

Here are two regular shots of the watch - just in case it helps to verify the authenticity of the green sapphire.

So first: the lume. I've attached a photo of the watch lume (I stopped down the exposure just to register the difference in luminosity of the 3, 6, & 9 indices. Now I've read that while the indices are of different "color", they should at least have the same brightness as the rest. So is the difference in the picture acceptable or not?

Second, is that when I try to adjust the watch - I try to turn the crown very slowly (for more precise setting). It tends to "tighten" at some parts - so I end up having to put more torque - but then it eases up, and I end up overshooting. So it's not necessarily skipping - its more due to my extra pressure when the tightness alleviates.

So my question here is if this is normal or should the adjustment of the movement be ENTIRELY buttery smooth?

Here's a video of the concern
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vlb-XOmvTw

Third, when you unscrew and pull the crown completely, I noticed that the crown has a fair bit of play. I had read that crowns should be really solid and the tolerances are very tight - but I don't know if they meant when screwed in and unscrewing.

Again, I've linked a video to the concern below - does it really have this amount of "play"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-D_I0lFF40

There are more pics in my flickr gallery in case you need more pictures (macro shots, bracelet shots, etc.) to help in determining the authenticity.

Thanks for your help!
nargalzius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 01:33 AM   #2
igwt
"TRF" Member

Hello there..... I had the same problem with my SubC... i think mine is "Lemon" or the movement of rolex get damaged when u Pull the crown 3 to 4x a week.... on a weekly basis.....

Got mine Bnew... then i Pull the crown like 3 to 4x a week... then after a year... i had the same problem..... i can't adjust the time precisely... as the minute hand tend to JUMP and the crown tighten in some parts.... Its not smooth....

So i had my sub serviced for free since its still under warranty.... but after 2weeks same problem... so i had it serviced again... same stuff..... 4th service..... i didn't wait for it to happened.... i flipped the watch ASAP....

NOW.... i don't pull the crown when it stops.... actually i don't let my watch stop now... i just wind it... every night... so i don't Have to pull the crown all the way to set the time....

i think thats the culprit or the piece i got is simple LEMON...
igwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 11:01 AM   #3
nargalzius
"TRF" Member

IGWT,

Thanks for your response - so I take it that you never really got to test if that "issue" if yours is a normal thing for Rolexes?

I mean while I wouldn't know for sure, but pulling the crown that often - I would imagine to wear down ANY watch no matter how durable it is or should be.

Then again, given that people describe Rolexes as "bullet proof", I guess it is cause for concern. I wish other Rolex users could give their opinions on this.
Old 29 April 2015, 11:10 AM   #4
watchabout
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Is the watch still in your possession? Why don't you take it to a watch store and ask them to open the back so you can examine the movement?

I'd be more interested in someone confirming or denying the the crown will go bad after a year of pulling in and out several times a week, as that is my exact situation, I do not wear my watch every day and I would want mine to become faulty. I have a few others that have to be winded every few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watchabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 11:48 AM   #5
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

To OP, don't know about your first point as I only handled the Milguass briefly at the AD when I bought my Explorer.

But I have the same observation as your points 2 & 3 with my 214270. Manipulating the hands via the crown is a little difficult due to the tightness...not sure if this will loosen up or not as it's only been a couple weeks since I bought from AD. This being my only Rolex I have nothing to compare to at the moment. And yes the crown stem has a slight wobble but I don't think this is enough to be concerned about.

Edit. Just watched your video and I'm not sure if we have the same issue re the hands "jumpiness"....

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 01:05 PM   #6
Comacho
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 168000
watched the video... that would drive me absolutely CRAZY!. I have no actual clue what it could be but something definitely looks like its binding and releasing. I would say that it most certainly is NOT normal. My only reference point is a Sub cal. 3035 and it's smooth as silk.
Comacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 01:18 PM   #7
grandenigma1
"TRF" Member

It's hard to say it's fake or not based on your observations, but at a minimum, there is an issue with the movement.
grandenigma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 07:14 PM   #8
igwt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nargalzius View Post
IGWT,

Thanks for your response - so I take it that you never really got to test if that "issue" if yours is a normal thing for Rolexes?

I mean while I wouldn't know for sure, but pulling the crown that often - I would imagine to wear down ANY watch no matter how durable it is or should be.

Then again, given that people describe Rolexes as "bullet proof", I guess it is cause for concern. I wish other Rolex users could give their opinions on this.
it shouldn't be as i have Seiko and orient... and i do the same... never had issue of tightness or Jumpy feeling....

just watched your Youtube videos... and YES we have the same issue... when adjusting time.... NEVER had that issue with the wobble crown.... better to bring it in RSC and have it overhauled....

=)
igwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 10:04 PM   #9
Lgear080
Banned

considering how low these are trading just find another.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2015, 08:01 AM   #10
chaw6125
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC 116610
It's not fake. The replicas don't have a green crystal edge (some people try to fix that) and when you turn the crown clockwise the hands move clockwise. Not true on a Chinese clone of ETA 28XX.

Sounds like you might have some issues with the keyless work though.
chaw6125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2015, 05:41 AM   #11
nargalzius
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input guys, I brought it to the RSC and they said the adjustment issue is normal and acceptable. They did say the crown play has to be fixed and took the unit in.

I want to give this piece a chance instead of just flipping it because it's still under warranty (it was bought jan 2014 according to the guarantee card) - I'm hoping the crown issue is covered by the warranty.

Am I correct to assume that the mere fact they accepted the watch to be serviced already is a confirmation that it's genuine? I'm not privy to how service centers take in pieces, do they mandatorily open it up to make sure they're not wasting time inspecting a forgery? Or are there cases where they find that out while in the process of servicing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk