The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 19 April 2015, 06:52 AM   #1
Longhorn02
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Icon20 Due Diligence and first purchase

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, and I haven't made a purchase for a Rolex yet. I've been watching the classifieds and have been trying to identify the most trusted sellers on here (names like DavidSW, OCRolexGuy pop up often) based on reviews.
As a newbie, and one who is looking to make his first purchase a smooth one and to avoid fakes, what can I do once in possession of a new watch to further verify its authenticity?
Is taking it to an authorized dealer for inspection a good plan?
Contacting Rolex to verify the serial number for the model?
I'm not so experienced yet as to identify, say for example, if an older GMT Explorer has had an aftermarket bezel put in.
I was wondering if some veterans could shed light on their process of how they go about inspecting and verifying. Thanks everyone!
-Chris
Longhorn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 06:57 AM   #2
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Both guys you mentioned are great and no need for any AD inspection. Welcome to TRF.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 07:23 AM   #3
Longhorn02
"TRF" Member

Thanks! Yes, everyone seems to hold them in high regard!
Old 19 April 2015, 07:28 AM   #4
Ca$hOnly
"TRF" Member

If you are this paranoid I suggest you don't buy online. Go to an AD and save yourself the headache.

There is always a risk when buying online, no matter how trusted the seller is. That being said I purchased my GMT from a seller on TRF and had no issues.
Ca$hOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 08:35 AM   #5
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Solid seller is the key
Old 19 April 2015, 08:50 AM   #6
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
If you are this paranoid I suggest you don't buy online. Go to an AD and save yourself the headache.

There is always a risk when buying online, no matter how trusted the seller is. That being said I purchased my GMT from a seller on TRF and had no issues.

This exactly.

If you would feel the need to take a DavidSW piece to an AD or RSC to get authenticated you need to just buy from an AD. There is likely not a more secure secondary market transition than this from a seller that will stand behind his products authenticity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 03:52 PM   #7
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Why not stick around here for awhile and learn about Rolex watches to a point that you not only know and understand the products, but also the sellers.

In a few months, you'll have learned quite a lot and you'll also come to know who the trusted sellers are, so that you can make and informed decision about what watch you want and where to get the best deal.

There's no need to rush.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 05:41 PM   #8
bankerX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn02 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, and I haven't made a purchase for a Rolex yet. I've been watching the classifieds and have been trying to identify the most trusted sellers on here (names like DavidSW, OCRolexGuy pop up often) based on reviews.
As a newbie, and one who is looking to make his first purchase a smooth one and to avoid fakes, what can I do once in possession of a new watch to further verify its authenticity?
Is taking it to an authorized dealer for inspection a good plan?
Contacting Rolex to verify the serial number for the model?
I'm not so experienced yet as to identify, say for example, if an older GMT Explorer has had an aftermarket bezel put in.
I was wondering if some veterans could shed light on their process of how they go about inspecting and verifying. Thanks everyone!
-Chris
I would trust the two names you have mentioned.
OCROLEXGUY or Patrick is a great guy. I have dealt with him once when buying my TT GMT Master and was an awesome deal. He is very pleasant to deal with.
DavidSW also has a great reputation on this forum.

I would never think twice, you will get the best quality watches on this forum and don't worry about authenticity because I am sure you will get 100% as described watch.

Good luck
bankerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2015, 05:49 PM   #9
Lgear080
Banned

I think you should buy from an AD... It doesn't sound like you would be
Comfortable with a purchase off the forum for awhile. All of the guys you
Mentioned have zero interest in selling anything but authentic watches.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2015, 11:35 AM   #10
Longhorn02
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to hang about the forums and try and build up my knowledge. I appreciate the input!
Old 20 April 2015, 06:29 PM   #11
Allforfun
Banned

do a lot of research first before commiting look at sellers previous posts feedback etc
Allforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2015, 06:59 AM   #12
patreyus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I agree, since I have been going through the boards over the last 6 months trying to learn as much as possible about rolex etc. I feel like I have a good idea who the trusted sellers are on this site by reading the reviews, posts etc. Hopefully, I will pull the the trigger on a rolex soon. Just so hard to decide.
patreyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2015, 12:11 AM   #13
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Look around a little, look at posts from people that you are getting a feel for, check out the reviews. I have bought and sold here with no problems. Someone won't last long scamming here.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2015, 01:28 AM   #14
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

You will not have any issue with authenticity from either of the two sellers you mentioned. But you can always take the watch into an AD with a watchmaker to have it verified.

Be aware though that they may only be willing to verify the watch by opening the case back. You should discuss this with the seller in advance and come to an understanding beforehand since there is always a slight chance of some kind of damage (even a minor scratch if you are buying BNIB) anytime anyone takes tools to a watch. Also, it will need to be pressure tested when the case back is screwed back on to ensure water resistance. If the AD wants to charge for any of this you'd better have an agreement with the seller about this as well.

I don't know where DavidSW or OCRolexguy stands on this. Understand that because of what I just explained it would not be unreasonable for them to not agree to it, but maybe they will. I've dealt with them but having total confidence in both sellers I've never felt the need to have the case opened up to verify the piece.
Old 24 April 2015, 02:35 PM   #15
Longhorn02
"TRF" Member

Is that standard practice to take a watch into an AD and have it inspected if, say, the watch doesn't have any papers?
Are they just checking to verify that the proper movement applies to the type of watch?
Old 24 April 2015, 02:48 PM   #16
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn02 View Post
Is that standard practice to take a watch into an AD and have it inspected if, say, the watch doesn't have any papers?
Are they just checking to verify that the proper movement applies to the type of watch?
Not really. There not looking to make sure that it is not a Sub movement in a GMT, if that's what you mean. They would be checking that it is an authentic Rolex movement. That it is also the correct movement sort of goes without saying.