The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2024, 02:28 AM   #1
luk4s83
"TRF" Member

16710 bezel insert swap wear

There's a lot of topics covering bezel insert changes in 16710 but I wasn't able to find any information regarding wear associated with frequent insert swaps. Is this something to worry about? I got my 16710 recently, it's in all original condition, truly unpolished, I absolutely love it. I like to swap inserts pretty often. Is it safe to do it a few times a month? Or maybe that may cause some extra wear on the bezel ring, watch case etc. and cause the bezel to start falling out? I use a plastic tool to pry out the bezel and then I remove the insert with my fingers and install everything back using my fingers as well. I'm not scratching anything, just concerned about the wear from frequent swaps.
luk4s83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 03:42 AM   #2
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Crossed my mind a few times as well. That said, I’ve been doing it for years without issues. At some point the bezel ring *might* loosen. So far so good and it’s been a decade of swaps monthly on average.

Most important thing is what tools you’re using and your technique. Your method sounds fine to me, honestly.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 04:11 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk4s83 View Post
There's a lot of topics covering bezel insert changes in 16710 but I wasn't able to find any information regarding wear associated with frequent insert swaps. Is this something to worry about? I got my 16710 recently, it's in all original condition, truly unpolished, I absolutely love it. I like to swap inserts pretty often. Is it safe to do it a few times a month? Or maybe that may cause some extra wear on the bezel ring, watch case etc. and cause the bezel to start falling out? I use a plastic tool to pry out the bezel and then I remove the insert with my fingers and install everything back using my fingers as well. I'm not scratching anything, just concerned about the wear from frequent swaps.
Not a GMT but my 16600 SD had a very hard life working as a real working tool watch underwater.And in over 20 years of a mainly tool watch life only changed one insert it was quite easy DIY and no extra wear no matter how many times you change them as long as you take reasonable care .But cannot understand why the need to change the insert several times a month.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 04:32 AM   #4
luk4s83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nly5iv3Digits View Post
Crossed my mind a few times as well. That said, I’ve been doing it for years without issues. At some point the bezel ring *might* loosen. So far so good and it’s been a decade of swaps monthly on average.

Most important thing is what tools you’re using and your technique. Your method sounds fine to me, honestly.

Cool! If it loosens I hope it will be enough to replace just that thin metal friction ring.
I only use this and my fingers :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2024, 04:37 AM   #5
luk4s83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not a GMT but my 16600 SD had a very hard life working as a real working tool watch underwater.And in over 20 years of a mainly tool watch life only changed one insert it was quite easy DIY and no extra wear no matter how many times you change them as long as you take reasonable care .But cannot understand why the need to change the insert several times a month.
16710 GMT offers different looks with different inserts - Pepsi, Coke, black. That's a lot of fun and a lot of different watches in one :)