The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 June 2019, 04:46 AM   #1
mhoutman
"TRF" Member

My first Patek: Calatrava 5107J or 5227J ?

Hi I am a vintage IWC collector but it is time to buy my first Patek as gift for my 60th birthday.

My choice is either a 2006 Calatrava 5107J or a 2013 Calatrava 5227J. Both are mint, complete and with a new PP strap.

Of course the 5227J is more expensive but is that worth 7k.

I am rather old school and love the yellow gold, but what I like about the 5107 are the crown guards. Also a different dial color ?

Please advice as I am a novice in PP.

Cheer and thanks for your help,

Michael
mhoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 05:34 AM   #2
ts3
"TRF" Member

Given that you don't mind the crown guards I would go w the 5107 as I find the 5227 too large for a basic automatic dress watch. The 5227 will wear large for 39mm as an result of its large and empty dial (larger than say an IWC Mark XV on strap if that is a good reference for you). Don't like the markers of the 5227 either. So my vote goes to the 5107 between those two.

You might also consider a 3998, 5127, or 5296 if you are interested in a non-vintage automatic Calatrava. The 3998 might be too small at 34mm but it does wear large for its size. The 5127 is quite similar to the 5107 and has the crown guards as well. The 5296 is a 38mm basic piece that has just been discontinued but should still be available new at a discount if you shop around at the ADs.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 06:34 AM   #3
mhoutman
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your thoughts.

I do not bother the crown guards, in fact I find them very sexy but that is a very personal view.

The 5127 might be a tad technically a better choice but less hard to find overhere in the EU.

Yep, 39 mm on the 5227 might be too much but on the other hand I adore my IWC 5441 in steel. Yet it is a different watch.

At the end I tend to the 5107 :)
mhoutman is offline   Reply With Quote