The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2019, 01:41 AM   #1
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Base Panerai Dilemma

I've been without a Panerai for the past few months & have started to exhibit withdrawal symptoms. After owning a 233 for a long time & then a 42mm 392, I realized that I prefer the Bettarini case shape over the 1950. I also like the small seconds at 9:00.

So, I've narrowed my search to either a 510, 005, or the new 776.

A new 776 is actually very attractively priced relative to a preowned 005 or 510 - especially with an in house movement. However, I'm on the fence about the snap-in caseback and the springbars on the 776. What do the experts think?

Practically, I suspect with the springbars I would scratch up the case less when changing straps. But, I'm not sure if it is straying away from what makes Panerai special. Tough one.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 02:36 AM   #2
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Pass on all Panerai with SnapBack case and springbars
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 02:56 AM   #3
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

I think the price point of the 776 aligns with the pressed back and spring bars. I don't really see why everyone has an issue with it. There are plenty of models with screw back and screw lugs for additional cost.
itsjknight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 02:56 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Pass on all Panerai with SnapBack case and springbars
For me, I agree 100%, but YMMV. Of the watches you listed, it would be 005 for me without hesitation.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 05:40 AM   #5
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
For me, I agree 100%, but YMMV. Of the watches you listed, it would be 005 for me without hesitation.
This one hundred percent
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 11:10 AM   #6
synequano
Banned

I’d go with 177 as sometimes they can go for less than 111 in pre owned market (I’ve seen 177 for around $200 less than pre owned 111,both complete set,around the same age)

I have both and I find the 177 to be comfier especially for prolonged wear due to its weight and I like its matte-ness
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 05:44 PM   #7
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I'm not contradicting the previous posters, but what's the advantage of screw in lugbars & caseback? 100 vs 300 water resistance? Is it a Panerai DNA argument? Is it enough to offset the advantage of getting a new watch under warranty with an in house movement for around the same price as a used watch with ETA?

Also I've been looking around at the 005s on the market & every one I've seen so far with a picture has either overpolished or scratched up lugs -- most likely due to the screw in lugbars. I wouldn't buy a Rolex in that condition, would a PAM be different?
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 06:15 AM   #8
stockae92
"TRF" Member

If you just want the Luminor look, snap case back and spring bars works just fine. Honestly, not a lot of people would dive or dip in the pool with their panerai.

I do prefer the screw down case back and lug screw because I believe they are better construction, more secure for WR and for the strap. So these are up-sell features.

I don't think snap case back and spring bars are anything bad. But I wouldn't pay the same price for a watch that has those, rather than the better constructed screw down case back and lug screws (given everything else is the same).

I agree there are lot of pre-owned Panerai out there out there with scratched lugs because of the sloppy strap change. Sadly it is what it is. It happens. You do have to be patient and wait for what you really want.

I don't think every one needs to worry about all the minor detail like closed-6 vs open-6 dial. Some people just want to buy a watch that they like, wear it, and move on with their lives. But definitely know what you are getting into, pay the right price, and enjoy the watch.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote