The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 September 2019, 05:11 AM   #1
Vittorio77
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM, Explo, Pelagos
50th anniversary speedmaster

The new omega speedmaster Apollo 11 50th anniversary retails at around 10k us, but gray dealers o offer currently is at 12k plus. Given that there will be 6969 pieced produced, how justified is premium
It looks like omega is trying to play relax game with tight supply as well
Vittorio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:50 AM   #2
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittorio77 View Post
The new omega speedmaster Apollo 11 50th anniversary retails at around 10k us, but gray dealers o offer currently is at 12k plus. Given that there will be 6969 pieced produced, how justified is premium

Wait 18 months and you'll be able to pick it up for 7k.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 06:09 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Omega has been playing this game for decades, they are not copying anything that Rolex does.

I have a true 50th Anniversary Speedmaster Professional LE, it came out back in 2007; next year they will have another "Anniversary" of some Speedy milestone.
Old 16 September 2019, 10:54 AM   #4
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
All you need to know.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 11:07 AM   #5
Cryten
"TRF" Member

6969 is anything but limited. Have they even sold that many of any of the previous models?
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 12:57 PM   #6
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’m betting not even that long.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 01:17 PM   #7
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
+1. Most Omegas don't hold their values unfortunately, including there "limited editions". I would wait and not pay a premium for it.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 01:54 PM   #8
kuuttingg
"TRF" Member

Watch: CK2998.SD43.D5000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittorio77 View Post

Sadly, there are more Apollo 11 50th Anniversary on grey market than the Speedy Tuesday 1. Not to mention Apollo 11 just got released. Seeing $13K - $15K Apollo 11 on grey market made me cringed! I’d rather spend that money on Hulk which will probably have a better chance of a higher resell value than Apollo 11. Hulk is not a limited edition.
kuuttingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:39 PM   #9
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
6969 is anything but limited. Have they even sold that many of any of the previous models?
I think the Bond models are limited to 10007
chunkythebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 08:22 PM   #10
watchmaker
TechXpert

I wouldn’t be shocked to learn that a large number of the 6969 watches produced aren’t available for sale to the public. I suspect many will be gifted or made available to NASA employees past and present since it is much their milestone as it is Omega’s.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 08:41 PM   #11
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Time will tell. I believe this one will sell below retail in the future. You just have to wait for them to turn. 12K asking is alot differant than 12k getting. If you really want the watch why not negoiate some and see where you come in on the model.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 08:45 PM   #12
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Surprised that they are going for this much.

I too think they will drop.

But for certain, this is not a move from the Rolex playbook. This is pure Omega strategy. For better or worse

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 09:03 PM   #13
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

FOMO and bragging rights probably driving that $12k ask, dealers hoping buyers don’t know there will be >6000 pieces , riding the wave of the speedy Tuesdays , etc. In one year they will probably settle to at or below retail IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 04:29 PM   #14
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuttingg View Post
Sadly, there are more Apollo 11 50th Anniversary on grey market than the Speedy Tuesday 1. Not to mention Apollo 11 just got released. Seeing $13K - $15K Apollo 11 on grey market made me cringed! I’d rather spend that money on Hulk which will probably have a better chance of a higher resell value than Apollo 11. Hulk is not a limited edition.
I agree with you, but I’d personally buy the watch I want to see on my wrist. Not take one I like less but might lose less money on....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:39 AM   #15
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

I agree that nearly 7k pieces is a lot and that it won't hold it's current inflated value. That said, I recently saw one in the flesh and it's a beautiful watch. The new movement is a nice upgrade and the touches of gold are fantastic. I'll gladly pay retail for one and wear it regularly.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 08:50 AM   #16
JCZ5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
I agree that nearly 7k pieces is a lot and that it won't hold it's current inflated value. That said, I recently saw one in the flesh and it's a beautiful watch. The new movement is a nice upgrade and the touches of gold are fantastic. I'll gladly pay retail for one and wear it regularly.

I agree! Picked mine up a month ago and sure I could have waited 6-9 months and get it grey. But I love it and I will wear it regularly.

Sometimes it’s just about getting a piece you love and wearing it regardless of secondary pricing or speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JCZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2019, 09:35 AM   #17
ttomczak
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Isn’t there a post here about jomashop having these for Right under 8k?

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 02:26 PM   #18
Lester
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thanks for sharing. :)
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 11:15 PM   #19
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post

This is why I will take the other side of the value bet. It’s a historic watch it’s a beautiful watch and as another poster stated I also think quite a few never will see an Omega boutique.

How many thousands of people who worked on the Apollo 11 project are still around.? A good many I would guess.

Will be fun to come back to this thread a year from now. Meanwhile I’m still waiting for mine to come in.

It would be nice to see Omega show some brand discipline and not come out with LEs every year and a culling of the line is very much needed.

When I go into the boutique I need my SR next to me to explain which speedmaster is this one which one is that one all through the store.

They also need to figure if they are a boutique seller or a Dealer seller. Crazy to go into a boutique and see almost every watch 25% less on the internet BNIB with warranty.

Not sure how they keep boutique open at my mall. It’s a gigantic store with literally 100s of watches. I’m usually the only one there when I visit. One of my SR had to move to NY store cause she wasn’t making enough commission. I told her how do u expect to sell any watches when you can’t match the street prices.
She had no answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 11:29 PM   #20
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Hardly limited. Prices will soften, just wait.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 11:29 PM   #21
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Give it time and wait if you really want one. Grey dealers snatch new releases up in a few hours typically to create a false demand and charge $2000+ in some instances. Then, the next "new" Limited Edition (hahaha) comes out and the previous one drops. Case in point, I'm looking to purchase the "old" Bond Spectre Seamaster. Just a few months ago it was fetching $9000+. I've seen quite a few in the market now @ $7500 since the new "On Her Majesty's Service" was released last week.
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 11:38 PM   #22
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdx77 View Post
Give it time and wait if you really want one. Grey dealers snatch new releases up in a few hours typically to create a false demand and charge $2000+ in some instances. Then, the next "new" Limited Edition (hahaha) comes out and the previous one drops. Case in point, I'm looking to purchase the "old" Bond Spectre Seamaster. Just a few months ago it was fetching $9000+. I've seen quite a few in the market now @ $7500 since the new "On Her Majesty's Service" was released last week.

Like I said Omega needs brand discipline!!
If they can hold out on Apollo 11 till 60th it will keep the 50th above water. They really should not issue another anniversary version till 75.

Old 30 September 2019, 05:43 AM   #23
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Like I said Omega needs brand discipline!!
If they can hold out on Apollo 11 till 60th it will keep the 50th above water. They really should not issue another anniversary version till 75.

They can't hold out, there are too many milestones to celebrate.

Buzz Aldrin's 90th birthday is getting close, there'll be a limited edition for that next ("limited" to only 9000 watches of course).
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 07:21 AM   #24
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Old habits die hard so I think we'll be discussing the same thing the next few years lol
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 05:56 AM   #25
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
13K on DavidSW currently

https://davidsw.com/watches/omega-wa...h-anniversary/
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2019, 04:21 AM   #26
edo
"TRF" Member

Anyone betting that it will be under retail in 12-18 months period want a 1000$ bet?

Find me one popular limited Speedy (and this one will be in popular category) that BNIB goes for under retail... even used great condition From Moon to Mars, and that one not even consider popular by anyone, can't be found under retail... AS 35th goes 1,5X above retail used, STs BNIB are still above retail, don't even want to speak about Snoopys...
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 03:42 AM   #27
jcoltrane
"TRF" Member

I have no regrets paying $12k for the watch. I'm a huge Apollo fan, didn't have an existing Omega relationship, didn't want to build one, it's an absolute knockout in person, and I've already been able to enjoy it for weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7655.jpg (154.0 KB, 727 views)
jcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2019, 05:21 AM   #28
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Looks beautiful on the wrist. All this Buzz butt nonsense. My boutique promises me I’ll have mine by end of week. We’ll see.

I think you did great at 12K since mine cost me a little over 10k with tax and I’ve been waiting since January. Most at 13k and up.

Omega needs to ease up on speedmaster versions. Next year is the 50th anniversary of The Snoopy for Apollo 13, the new steel 321 and the new Bond watch. No more Apollo 11 special editions till 60th or better yet 75th!

Old 9 October 2019, 09:31 AM   #29
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Looks beautiful on the wrist. All this Buzz butt nonsense. My boutique promises me I’ll have mine by end of week. We’ll see.

I think you did great at 12K since mine cost me a little over 10k with tax and I’ve been waiting since January. Most at 13k and up.

Omega needs to ease up on speedmaster versions. Next year is the 50th anniversary of The Snoopy for Apollo 13, the new steel 321 and the new Bond watch. No more Apollo 11 special editions till 60th or better yet 75th!

Not happening. 62, 64, 66 has a better chance
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 01:47 AM   #30
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Anyone betting that it will be under retail in 12-18 months period want a 1000$ bet?

Find me one popular limited Speedy (and this one will be in popular category) that BNIB goes for under retail... even used great condition From Moon to Mars, and that one not even consider popular by anyone, can't be found under retail... AS 35th goes 1,5X above retail used, STs BNIB are still above retail, don't even want to speak about Snoopys...
You have a great point.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote