The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 June 2020, 10:51 PM   #1
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Haggling over a Hublot & Franck Muller during Covid

Hi guys, as the title suggests I have been doing my research and price watching on the Hublot Big Bang Steel Ceramic (the classic one) & also a FM45 which is my 2nd choice. I already have a Piaget, Rolex DJ41 & a Cartier de Santos in my collection so I wanted to add a sportier piece.

Long story short, I know these watches do not hold their value well, esp the FM but during these Covid times I do know even Rolex's prices are sliding.

So i into some grey market and other dealers here in HK, they quoted me 32% for Hublot as a discount, and FM Vanguard V45 at 50% or slightly.

Does this sound about right if I am in the market for these 2 watch brands & mitigate any value crash? I have also looked at the secondhand market already
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 10:58 PM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

If they’re being sold to you at 45% discount from a shop, do the maths!
Old 8 June 2020, 08:59 PM   #3
justin.meridabikes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
Hi guys, as the title suggests I have been doing my research and price watching on the Hublot Big Bang Steel Ceramic (the classic one) & also a FM45 which is my 2nd choice. I already have a Piaget, Rolex DJ41 & a Cartier de Santos in my collection so I wanted to add a sportier piece.

Long story short, I know these watches do not hold their value well, esp the FM but during these Covid times I do know even Rolex's prices are sliding.

So i into some grey market and other dealers here in HK, they quoted me 32% for Hublot as a discount, and FM Vanguard V45 at 50% or slightly.

Does this sound about right if I am in the market for these 2 watch brands & mitigate any value crash? I have also looked at the secondhand market already
Go with the Hublot. It loses value fast from its retail price, but at the market price they do sell at the same pace as Rolex sometimes. For perspective, i've had trouble selling a datejust 41 to dealers or individuals at a decent price. At the same time i've sold a big bang to a dealer at the market price pretty quickly
justin.meridabikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 03:03 PM   #4
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.meridabikes View Post
Go with the Hublot. It loses value fast from its retail price, but at the market price they do sell at the same pace as Rolex sometimes. For perspective, i've had trouble selling a datejust 41 to dealers or individuals at a decent price. At the same time i've sold a big bang to a dealer at the market price pretty quickly
Thanks, I'm kind of erring on the same line of thinking. Although it may not be as clear cut - for ease of conversion, in £ a standard Vangard V45 is around £7,300 and I know dealers who can give me a 50% discount. So around £3,600. Hypothetically, if I sell it for a low price perhaps £2,000. Loss of £1,600 at a guess

If I do get a Hublot BB steel Ceramic, it's around £11,000 with 33% discount = £7,300. I can sell this to a dealer straightaway for £5,000, a loss of £2,300.

So if you look at this, it's quite comparable with the FM needing much less of an outlay
Old 13 June 2020, 07:23 AM   #5
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
If they’re being sold to you at 45% discount from a shop, do the maths!
Now I've been offered 55% but on their 7 days line, FM
Old 13 June 2020, 04:42 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now I've been offered 55% but on their 7 days line, FM
Which means the value on the secondary market is virtually zero. If you’re looking to buy a watch you’ll love forever and wear with pride get it. If you’re looking to flip it down the line forget it. Btw, I’ve had 2 older models, bought them well and didn’t lose very much.
Old 15 June 2020, 03:31 AM   #7
Mozzy79
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hi mate, can you check your dm. Thank!
Mozzy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 10:16 PM   #8
joe_landes
"TRF" Member

Watch: hmmmmm like them a
Imo Hublot is a more popular brand and should hold value better after it takes its initial depreciation. But buy the timepiece you think is more attractive.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
joe_landes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 11:21 PM   #9
motisingh
"TRF" Member

So I picked this up last week for 50% off. I'm still in shock with the price and just how nice it feels on my wrist. It's a V41 and purchased in the UK.

I know FM has a lot of haters but I love it
motisingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 11:27 PM   #10
joe_landes
"TRF" Member

Watch: hmmmmm like them a
Looks sharp

joe_landes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 11:32 PM   #11
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_landes View Post
Looks sharp

Thank you

I finally learnt how to post pictures in here too
Old 24 June 2020, 12:15 AM   #12
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by motisingh View Post

So I picked this up last week for 50% off. I'm still in shock with the price and just how nice it feels on my wrist. It's a V41 and purchased in the UK.

Where I am FM have been available for 50 off since years bnib... Currently even lower... Enjoy the watch if you enjoy the price... Resale ll make you cry lol
Old 24 June 2020, 12:37 AM   #13
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
Where I am FM have been available for 50 off since years bnib... Currently even lower... Enjoy the watch if you enjoy the price... Resale ll make you cry lol
Yes I'm aware resale will be an issue but luckily this will just be added to my collection to pass on in the future
Old 24 June 2020, 08:35 AM   #14
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Look at an RM instead. Pay more, a good amount more, but it will hold its value. Same level of taste, but more successfully executed and more upscale.

Or, get a G-shock and have an honest sports watch for less that's still very respectable.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 07:35 AM   #15
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Very nice, that colour combo and presence on the wrist is quite striking.

Just curious, would you wear mainly casually or for work as well? I've heard the black ones are more stealthy
Old 25 June 2020, 10:51 AM   #16
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This looks AWESOME.
I know FM gets beat up. But I’m a fan of the vanguard line and a HUGE fan of the Crazy Hours. I know there are some Crazy Hours Colour Dreams out there; not sure if it exists in a vanguard case..I’d be all over that.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2020, 11:26 PM   #17
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice, that colour combo and presence on the wrist is quite striking.

Just curious, would you wear mainly casually or for work as well? I've heard the black ones are more stealthy
Hi mate, I think casually as I usually wear my IWC or Rolex OP for work. However, I've worn it twice to meetings so far and it's got a lot of good comments.

This is the 41mm, not the 45 and I'm glad I went for that option as my wrist size is only 6.5-6.75 inch.
Old 25 June 2020, 11:27 PM   #18
motisingh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
This looks AWESOME.
I know FM gets beat up. But I’m a fan of the vanguard line and a HUGE fan of the Crazy Hours. I know there are some Crazy Hours Colour Dreams out there; not sure if it exists in a vanguard case..I’d be all over that.
Thank you, I'm so happy with it. I came very close to go for a flashier version (gold/silver etc) but actually this is the right amount of craziness!

I'd be all over that too!
Old 27 June 2020, 10:40 PM   #19
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi mate, I think casually as I usually wear my IWC or Rolex OP for work. However, I've worn it twice to meetings so far and it's got a lot of good comments.

This is the 41mm, not the 45 and I'm glad I went for that option as my wrist size is only 6.5-6.75 inch.
That's true, it's pretty difficult to choose the right style, I'm inbetween some of the V45 styles with steel case and then the dials etc.
Old 20 July 2020, 08:41 AM   #20
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice timepiece! I really like the 41mm titanium version. It should work well on my thin wrist.

Is the double butterfly deployant clasp comfortable? The ones that are on the inside of the strap that lay against skin tend to pinch my wrist.
Old 20 July 2020, 03:35 PM   #21
Ryann24
"TRF" Member

I picked up a "limited edition " hublot from and ad for 45% off. Do not pay retail for hublot
Ryann24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2020, 11:23 PM   #22
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

The Vanguard looks great on your wrist! Unfortunately, in this forum often times if it’s not a Rolex, AP or Patek some members will try to bring you down. I think those members are just boring. You got a great looking timepiece at a great price. Congratulations!
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2020, 04:56 AM   #23
sunset117
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I love the FM vanguard it's like a mini RM! I'd pick one up if i got a good deal
sunset117 is offline   Reply With Quote