The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 October 2023, 12:39 PM   #31
soulsea
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN8 View Post
Interesting story, soulsea. I agree, out of principle, to be patient and wait for a call for a watch that I have expressed interest with an AD.

I hope you enjoy your Nautilus for many years!
Thank you, like I said it's been quite the journey ... at some point, when it looked almost impossible that I was going to be able to get one, I looked within and realized that I desired a Nautilus but didn't need a Nautilus, and if it were a need then I'd have bigger issues that no watch or material thing can remedy. So I was at peace that it was either going to happen organically or it was just fine if it didn't happen at all. And every time I would log on to the this site or C24 and saw all the ones for sale, I reminded myself of that when I was tempted to just get it over with and get one at aftermarket price.

All these years later, I am simply grateful that it did happen and that I didn't capitulate, and there's zero credit to me in that statement, I had as much to do with it as a person who wins a lottery, which is to say almost nothing at all. That's why I can't believe my luck.
soulsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 01:51 PM   #32
mooty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
I appreciate all the answers, and I’ll post pics when the pretty thing gets here. :)

Out of curiosity because I’m obviously new to the PP world, what is an ‘application’ piece?
goto pp site, if price not listed. it's application piece ;-)
mostly, some enamel (WT) has price but sill need app
mooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 01:59 PM   #33
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Thank you so much!

There's so much story behind this journey that made the closure so special today.

Regular Patek ADs wouldn’t give me the time of day and many laughed me off. As an example, eight or so years ago I walked into Wempe in NYC (we have an apt on the same street), inquired about a Nautilus telling them I don't mind waiting my turn, and the SA asked me if I had grandchildren because they would be the ones getting the watch if they put me on the list. I don't take these kinds of things personally so I just smiled and walked away leaving him alone with his karma.

I gave up on the brand, not because of my AD experience but because it seemed a fruitless endeavor as I had no entry point, but unbeknownst to me my wife who's not a watch person decided to walk in the Tiffany's 5th ave store a few months later and just asked having no sense or clue of how improbable a thing she was asking for. Since then she called or went by once or twice a year to remind them, and I also went in a few times to say hi and try pretty things. And out of the the blue two days ago they called. It’s beyond amazing and honorable to me that they kept their word. Of all the people that did this for me it ended up being Tiffany's!!!

Over the preceding years they didn’t even make me buy an entry piece, or any jewelry, so I honestly have no idea how or why they did this for me other that maybe they sensed that I am truly passionate about timepieces and that I am an honorable person, but not knowing me that's a huge leap of faith from their end and for that I will be forever grateful. And whereas I was never going to buy stuff like jewelry I didn't want as a condition, now that they did this for me unconditionally I will buy pieces for them. That's the difference between showing my appreciation and being blackmailed, and as a person of principle that means the world to me.

More importantly none of this is about the money. I am blessed and can afford to have any of these watches grey market if I want to. But today was the culmination of a journey that included patience, impatience, frustration, anticipation, hope, a journey shared with my lovely wife without whom I would have never dared walk in and asked, a journey that included new friendships along the way, and so today I when I first opened the box and put the watch on, I was wearing both the road trip and the destination, and it was emotional, which sounds silly when speaking about an inanimate object. All of that would have been missed if I had just bought it second hand, and it would have meant so much less to me.

Anyway, sorry to bore you guys with my ramblings, it was just a wonderful moment for me today and for my wife who is even happier for me than I am for myself, and to see the joy and sense of accomplishment on her face means more to me that the watch. Honesty I can't actually quantify what means more than what, all I know is that it all means a great deal to me and I am filled with joy.

What a great story! A Tiffany dial on top of that? It's a winner in my book. I would take this allocation from my AD in a New York second if offered by my AD. You did well. Wear it in the best of health!

BTW. I think @Dauster was referring to the 5172 reference and not the 5712.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 02:02 PM   #34
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
What a great story! A Tiffany dial on top of that? It's a winner in my book. I would take this allocation from my AD in a New York second if offered by my AD. You did well. Wear it in the best of health!

BTW. I think @Dauster was referring to the 5172 reference and not the 5712.
Thank you.

I obviously need to practice my references. :(
Old 13 October 2023, 10:11 PM   #35
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Congratulations!!!
I loved reading your posts, I’m sure you will enjoy this watch.
Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 12:38 AM   #36
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

What a piece of crap... congrats Serge :)

Patience pays off!
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 12:45 AM   #37
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
What a piece of crap... congrats Serge :)

Patience pays off!
Ha, thanks buddy.

And thanks to everyone else as well for the info and kind words.
Old 14 October 2023, 12:56 AM   #38
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I think OP got a 5712G not 5172G.

With that said, it is not a 5712/1a so it is probably one of the "easier" one. The market seems to have changed as someone I know got a 5164R as a second piece about 6-9 months ago and now is on the approval process for a 5990. His first purchase from this AD was a 7118R about 2 years ago.

Got it my bad - that makes it a much cooler story lol

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 12:58 AM   #39
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You’re probably right, I shouldn’t be this happy to be getting this as my first PP from my AD.

But for a lowly person that’s not a Patek VIP, in fact barely a P in general. I’m not ashamed to choose to still feel blessed and joyous beyond belief at being offered and trusted with this timepiece. I’m never parting with it, but I appreciate your market appraisal.

Came in a few hours ago in a brinks truck type of delivery service ...Tiffany's doesn't mess around with shipping, it was pretty cool. :)

lol touché just misread the ref numbers my bad - great watch congrats especially with the extra sauce aka Tiffany stamp

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 01:23 AM   #40
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
lol touché just misread the ref numbers my bad - great watch congrats especially with the extra sauce aka Tiffany stamp
No worries dauster, I appreciate it.
Old 14 October 2023, 02:02 AM   #41
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Way cool watch. Congratulations!!
Turbo Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 12:29 PM   #42
russ86
"TRF" Member

Congrats on a awesome piece, once you start collecting those Tiffany dials its a completely different game, welcome to the club.
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 10:23 PM   #43
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Congrats - i do think there is either a broader category of application pieces or second category of customer-level allocations. When I was offered a 5811 the AD first had to send my purchase history to PP for their approval and the watch was then sent to the AD by PP with the papers pre-printed with my name similar to an application piece. Obviously a 5811 is not a minute repeater and has a price on the website. I dont think of that watch as a true application piece.
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 04:27 AM   #44
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
BIG Congrats!! Another level!
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 01:09 AM   #45
Enatai252
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Congrats on the new addition. Would be a great match to Grigio Scurro
Maybe think about getting a car that color. :)
Enatai252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 01:24 AM   #46
soulsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enatai252 View Post
Congrats on the new addition. Would be a great match to Grigio Scurro
Maybe think about getting a car that color. :)
Sounds expensive.
Old 23 October 2023, 05:48 PM   #47
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Interesting. The reason I ask is because I was recently in Geneva and made an appointment at the Patek salon (not where I’m getting my Nautilus from).
To add to that Patek will actively discourage you and also ADs to do AD shopping i.e. trying different ADs to get the desired piece e.g. as I live in France Patek politely but firmly suggested I deal exclusively through the Paris boutique.
I am sure there is some sort of centralized registry where they at least keep track of everyone that is asking for a piece and where. They probably don't advertise it very much due to GDPR.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 06:21 PM   #48
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorKrieg View Post
To add to that Patek will actively discourage you and also ADs to do AD shopping i.e. trying different ADs to get the desired piece e.g. as I live in France Patek politely but firmly suggested I deal exclusively through the Paris boutique.
I am sure there is some sort of centralized registry where they at least keep track of everyone that is asking for a piece and where. They probably don't advertise it very much due to GDPR.
I have heard that before. When I was looking into getting a 5711 as a first new Patek when the market started to heat up I was told by one AD I should not get on their "list" if I was already on another AD's "list" as I wouldn't get the watch at all if I was on multiple lists.

At the same time people on here have reported time and again about shopping at various ADs around the world and some seem to deliberately deal with two or three preferred ADs rather than just one.

As a result I have come to think the above is a myth supported by Patek and the ADs rather than reality. My take is that there is no "penalty" if one shops at different ADs as long as one isn't after application pieces.

Just to add, Patek should know which AD sold a particular watch and they may well do some stats on where you bought the watches you register with them but I don't think they will cross check who is on which AD's waiting list for non-application pieces.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 09:25 PM   #49
Gent675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I have heard that before. When I was looking into getting a 5711 as a first new Patek when the market started to heat up I was told by one AD I should not get on their "list" if I was already on another AD's "list" as I wouldn't get the watch at all if I was on multiple lists.

At the same time people on here have reported time and again about shopping at various ADs around the world and some seem to deliberately deal with two or three preferred ADs rather than just one.

As a result I have come to think the above is a myth supported by Patek and the ADs rather than reality. My take is that there is no "penalty" if one shops at different ADs as long as one isn't after application pieces.

Just to add, Patek should know which AD sold a particular watch and they may well do some stats on where you bought the watches you register with them but I don't think they will cross check who is on which AD's waiting list for non-application pieces.

Total myth.
Gent675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2023, 08:37 AM   #50
abacona
"TRF" Member

I also got a 5712g as my first piece two years ago! Lucky you, enjoy

abacona is offline   Reply With Quote