The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 December 2010, 04:52 AM   #1
scarlette
"TRF" Member

Where Can I send a Rolex for Authentication

Hi All!

Long time lurker here, gleaning lots of valuable info from all you rolex gurus!! I have been stalking a few auctions on eBay and think that I will finally bid on a Rolex watch sometime soon. I've researched the selller and it appears that he is reputable (possibly 1 time he may have sold something that was fake but may not have known that it was). I am wondering if I win one of his auctions, could I take the watch to a Rolex dealer (I live close by to a mall with a Rolex store) to have them send it for "service" and if fake, the technicians would know and inform me or could I send it to Rolex USA myself? Thanks in advance for your advice!
scarlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2010, 04:56 AM   #2
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Seems backwards to me. I'd never buy something, then try to find out if it was a fake.

Stick around TRF, you can post the eBay auction link in the watch out section, people will respond with their thoughts. You may find a better deal right here.
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2010, 05:05 AM   #3
scarlette
"TRF" Member

Actually, I like to think of it as "confirming authenticity". I definitely will post the auction link before buying but pictures and seller's reputation can only take you so far. I like someone with experience taking a real life look at the watch and confirm that it's authentic. I find that the selection is far better on line and the prices are fairly reasonable but there is always risks involved in buying on line. I'm just trying to minimize that as much as I can.
Old 23 December 2010, 05:32 AM   #4
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Post some detailed pictures and specify what makes you think it could be a fake.

There's a huge amount of knowledge on this forum and you don't have to send your watch off to access it.
Old 23 December 2010, 05:34 AM   #5
NMS75

Watch: 16610 & 116710LN
Mmmm... If it was me (and I can only talk from my perspective/opinions) I would go elsewhere to obtain a Rolex if you are in doubt. There are plenty of reputable authorised dealers around even for pre-owned watches. Its a lot of cash to spend only then to find the watch is a fake then you got the process of getting your cash back etc.

M
NMS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
send it to me, I will authenticate it beyond a doubt for you haha.
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2010, 07:14 AM   #7
scarlette
"TRF" Member

This the watch I am looking at...would appreciate any input, including price -reasonable or not. I am a total newbie...just liked the look of this watch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ladies-SS-WG-Rol...item3f05e87f3a
Old 24 December 2010, 03:06 AM   #8
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
eBay can be a little iffy but the seller has a decent amount of sales, has sold other Rolex watches and has 100% feedback.

Plus, they do have the protection program so I would say you are OK as far as authenticity is concerned.

As to price you would have to shop around to see what comparable pieces are going for elsewhere.

Try the sellers here on TRF in the classifieds section.
Old 24 December 2010, 03:12 AM   #9
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

If you already have it, take it to the RSC for service. They will authenticate it.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 03:39 AM   #10
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

If this is white gold why does the deployant say "steel"? I don't see hallmarks on the case to say it's white gold.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 03:43 AM   #11
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Take it to either a Rolex dealer or any watchmaker who works on Rolex.
However with 600+ feedback, I'm pretty sure the watch should be a real thing.
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 03:48 AM   #12
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
If this is white gold why does the deployant say "steel"? I don't see hallmarks on the case to say it's white gold.
If you read the listing, it states; "SS/WG Rolex Datejust" and "White Gold Fluted Bezel". The case and bracelet are SS, the bezel is white gold.

To the OP, the watch looks authentic to me, matching papers come with it, and A Morris has been around for a long time. The only thing that would prevent me from buying it would be the price, one of TRF's regular sellers might be able to beat it.

Good luck either way.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 03:52 AM   #13
Michael M.
Banned

The Ebay listing looks pretty legit, but the box they include is for a later model.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 04:00 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
If you read the listing, it states; "SS/WG Rolex Datejust" and "White Gold Fluted Bezel". The case and bracelet are SS, the bezel is white gold.

To the OP, the watch looks authentic to me, matching papers come with it, and A Morris has been around for a long time. The only thing that would prevent me from buying it would be the price, one of TRF's regular sellers might be able to beat it.

Good luck either way.
X2 And the only real way to authentic any Rolex if you have any doubt is get the back off.There is no mistaking a genuine Rolex movement and any good watchmaker could get the back off and do a pressure re-test.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 04:19 AM   #15
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
The auction states "Band Material: Stainless Steel". WG probably refers to the hour marker surrounds and such.
ArcticMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 09:07 AM   #16
culto
"TRF" Member

I would ask the seller to email you a picture of the papers. If the diamonds are after-market it reduces the value of the watch considerably. If the diamonds are Rolex diamonds it would say so on the papers.
culto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2011, 06:41 AM   #17
scarlette
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses. I have been looking through the classified section here but don't see anything similar. I'll keep looking.
Old 6 January 2011, 07:44 AM   #18
psv
"TRF" Member

Just ping David, Tony or any and all of the regular seller to see if they can help you locate what you need. That way you know what you get is 100% legit.

As always, buy the seller before you buy the product.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2011, 09:35 AM   #19
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
The auction states "Band Material: Stainless Steel". WG probably refers to the hour marker surrounds and such.
The "white gold" is a reference to the white gold, fluted bezel.
kkwn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2011, 12:02 PM   #20
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
I wrote this up a few days ago so I'm pasting below, the question was about going to an AD to authenticate.

However, before we go into authentication..... if there is any doubt, RUN....... RUN as fast as you can! Why take a chance with big $? When I hear, "(possibly 1 time he may have sold something that was fake but may not have known that it was)".... so I say RUN and don't look back!

No it is not bad form to ask for an authentication. However, I would not broach the topic in that manner. Simply hand it over and ask him to take a look at it to determine if it requires service. He can look for service marks to see the last time it was serviced, how the timing and amplitude (how freely the heart of the mechanism is working), and if it needs a service. You will not only know if it is a fake, but its general health. Usually, no charge for this service or minimal fee.

If it is a fake the moment you hand it to him he will say, "We don't service non-Rolex watches", or something to that effect.

In the resource section there are recommendations on independent watchmakers. http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ht=independent

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 07:29 AM   #21
scarlette
"TRF" Member

Thanks, George, for the response - that was very helpful.
Old 11 January 2011, 07:37 AM   #22
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
buy from the trusted sellers on here. imho.
Old 11 January 2011, 07:46 AM   #23
Brent
"TRF" Member

Watch: ref. 6263 (1972)
Have the seller authenticate the watch. The seller should have every incentive in the world to do so........unless?
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote