The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 January 2021, 03:17 AM   #61
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
You know what's trying to be a homage to A386? A386 Revival. This looks completely different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
I think his point is that anyone who is calling the new Chronomaster an “homage” to a Daytona doesn’t know the history of Zenith... or of the Rolex Daytona for that matter. It’s not an homage when zenith has been the king of Chronos for 50years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps you should share your vast knowledge with HODINKEE. https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ze...00-introducing
“ The overlapping sub-dials and color scheme go all the way back to the 1969 El Primero A386 and Zenith says that the general configuration of the case was inspired by the so-called "De Luca" models. “
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 05:23 AM   #62
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Very surprised at how many guys think this new Zenith looks like a Daytona. Virtually every dial detail is different. Yes, it's a predominantly white-dial chronograph with a ceramic bezel, but that's where the similarities end.

The dial markers and hands are very different. The sub-dials are very different. The dial layout is different. One has a crooked date window, while the other has no date window. Design of the bezel is different, pushers are different, etc .....

Zenith has been making chronographs for many decades and should be assessed independent of Rolex. I'm not crazy about the design, but I would judge it based just on that, not whether Zenith is trying to make a wannabe Daytona. I don't see it.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 05:59 AM   #63
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Hard pass on this one. As stated before- that date window is awkward, too derivative and busy. And that bracelet - shameless. :D
lig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 06:04 AM   #64
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post
Perhaps you should share your vast knowledge with HODINKEE. https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ze...00-introducing
“ The overlapping sub-dials and color scheme go all the way back to the 1969 El Primero A386 and Zenith says that the general configuration of the case was inspired by the so-called "De Luca" models. “
Here's a picture of De Luca.

And here's a picture of the new Zenith near the Daytona from the same article stating that.

Tell me, which one does it look more similar to. Not in a bullshit "we were inspired by bla-bla-bla", but in actual real world, which one does it look more like. Does the bracelet remind you of the Oyster on Daytona? Did they basically make the clasp look like a Rolex clasp? Seeing the two watches side by side, does the Zenith look similar to the Daytona? If you answered yes to those questions, congratulations. you have your own set of eyes and a brain that can draw conclusions. So they can say all they want, but it won't make it any less resembling a Daytona and inspired by Daytona.

EDIT: And forgot to add. The overlapping sub-dials with 3 distinct colors for each subdial is indeed an old El Primero tradition. But they sure as hell made all those colors dull so they would blend in with each other as much as possible.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 06:17 AM   #65
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I am glad it doesn't have 6 lines of text. Talk about busy.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 06:36 AM   #66
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Got mine brand new for 41% off. My favorite!

My AD says they won't have it for a month.
Old 23 January 2021, 06:57 AM   #67
Talbel
"TRF" Member

This is what I love about this hobby. There is something for everyone and we can all agree to disagree. I passed on the Daytona, but as soon as I saw this Zenith, I had to have it and it will be here in two weeks. For me, it the better watch with a great pedigree and a unique, fantastic movement. Does that make me right. Absolutely not. Are there some Daytona design elements? Absolutely. But there is a whole lot of Zenith DNA in this watch and to me, it’s beautiful. It’s also something I won’t see 10 times a day which I like. Just my take.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 07:26 AM   #68
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
This is the watch that will get me into Zenith. Fabulous look! Pretty high MSRP but I am guessing discounts are to be had.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 07:35 AM   #69
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
Here's a picture of De Luca.

And here's a picture of the new Zenith near the Daytona from the same article stating that.

Tell me, which one does it look more similar to. Not in a bullshit "we were inspired by bla-bla-bla", but in actual real world, which one does it look more like. Does the bracelet remind you of the Oyster on Daytona? Did they basically make the clasp look like a Rolex clasp? Seeing the two watches side by side, does the Zenith look similar to the Daytona? If you answered yes to those questions, congratulations. you have your own set of eyes and a brain that can draw conclusions. So they can say all they want, but it won't make it any less resembling a Daytona and inspired by Daytona.

EDIT: And forgot to add. The overlapping sub-dials with 3 distinct colors for each subdial is indeed an old El Primero tradition. But they sure as hell made all those colors dull so they would blend in with each other as much as possible.
To me it looks exactly what it is, a cross between the De Luca and ElPrimo A386. They have been using oyster looking bracelets with pcl for decades. Some might argue the new Daytona’s are a homage to earlier Zeniths. The clasp has now become generic, so very common.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 07:54 AM   #70
vh2k
"TRF" Member

vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 09:08 AM   #71
dshin525
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
Really dig it...and I prefer the date function. Will seriously consider picking this up.
dshin525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:03 AM   #72
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Got mine brand new for 41% off. My favorite!
if this were 41% off it would be under 6k. not a bad buy at all. prob not for a while though.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 02:41 PM   #73
tike71
"TRF" Member

I like it a lot. And bonus points for symmetrical lugs!
tike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 03:29 PM   #74
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post

Not sure if you missed my point or if you are trying to agree with it? Haha! But yes I agree with the article you sent. ;)

charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:50 AM   #75
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Do you think this is too much of a Daytona ripoff?
Yes. History is consigned to the bins, and that ‘look’ is owned by the Daytona today. Zenith have tried to carefully make it different but packed it all together to be a doppelgänger and ride the insane popularity of the Daytona. They’re not the first and won’t be the last.
Old 24 January 2021, 01:56 AM   #76
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Not a fan. The design is messy and busy, with too many elements going on, and that crooked date window is a turnoff.

I don’t find it close at all to any Daytona design-wise, other than they’re both chronographs. Very different, and not in a good way. Just my 2 cents and no offense meant to anyone who likes the look of these. Completely subjective.

I’ll stick to my 16520 (Zenith) Daytona.
This will be a common reply from Daytona owners not surprising. No one wants another watch or watch company to create an alternative to theirs.

I think it looks fantastic and finally a date, bravo. I like my dates. I wish it did not have the iconic three different color dials and they were all one.

If I found this at an AD for 40%, I'd buy it tomorrow. Better than playing the Rolex Daytona games or buying for a stupid price from a gray.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:58 AM   #77
scottwmitch
"TRF" Member

I'm very impressed with this watch! I agree with some others on here that this is the watch that makes me seriously interested in Zenith.
scottwmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:15 AM   #78
Saaci
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
To me it takes a Daytona design and improves it meaningfully in several ways:

1. 1/10 second chrono
2. No screw down pushers!
3. Added date
4. Cheaper
5. Available

For others they will also like the larger size (frequent Daytona complaint). I wish it was in the 39 mm case with a steel bezel personally...

Saaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:42 AM   #79
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
A date At the 4:30 marker! Lol.
Why is it funny ? If you think about it, it's a very sensible placement.
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 05:52 AM   #80
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
This will be a common reply from Daytona owners not surprising. No one wants another watch or watch company to create an alternative to theirs.

If I found this at an AD for 40%, I'd buy it tomorrow. Better than playing the Rolex Daytona games or buying for a stupid price from a gray.
For me, it has nothing to do with whether I already own a Daytona. I own a couple of chronographs, and I enjoy many watch brands. But I always evaluate based on the design of the watch itself, in a vacuum and initially with no regard to price and/or whether I could get a massive discount.

Based on that, I find the design of this new Zenith all over the place, and even if it were free I wouldn't wear it. I'm a lover of simplicity and beauty in design, and this chronograph is sorely lacking in those departments. It's just way too busy, IMHO.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 06:17 AM   #81
unknown
"TRF" Member

I own Rolexes and Zeniths
And quite a couple of each brand

This zenith is more interesting than a Daytona
The movement in the zenith is superior, no question

I ordered it today

And while I love my Daytona(s).... the zenith beats it
But I guess only connoisseurs will understand this and since Rolex buyers are unfortunately too often watch snobs... the majority will never understand this
Old 24 January 2021, 07:42 AM   #82
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaci View Post
To me it takes a Daytona design and improves it meaningfully in several ways:

1. 1/10 second chrono
2. No screw down pushers!
3. Added date
4. Cheaper
5. Available

For others they will also like the larger size (frequent Daytona complaint). I wish it was in the 39 mm case with a steel bezel personally...

I'd also add hi-beat movement and exhibition caseback. I think this piece is a home run. If I didn't have the need to scratch a 20-year Daytona itch, I'd drop my indications of interest and go with this Zenith.
Old 24 January 2021, 08:18 AM   #83
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Chronograph and Zenith fan here. The design elements work for me but 41mm case size does worry me. The 38mm version of the Chronomaster (wonderful in every respect) sits perfect on my 7 inch wrist but wears more like a 40mm (perfect). I will need to see these birds in person and decide

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 01:39 PM   #84
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Old 24 January 2021, 03:02 PM   #85
russ86
"TRF" Member

For some weird reason I like it.
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 03:17 PM   #86
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
But I guess only connoisseurs will understand this and since Rolex buyers are unfortunately too often watch snobs... the majority will never understand this
...or one can understand it, yet prefer the other
If everyone bought high price SS baubles for the engineering, most mech watch companies would have gone bankrupt decades ago.
Old 24 January 2021, 03:25 PM   #87
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
For me, it has nothing to do with whether I already own a Daytona. I own a couple of chronographs, and I enjoy many watch brands. But I always evaluate based on the design of the watch itself, in a vacuum and initially with no regard to price and/or whether I could get a massive discount.

Based on that, I find the design of this new Zenith all over the place, and even if it were free I wouldn't wear it. I'm a lover of simplicity and beauty in design, and this chronograph is sorely lacking in those departments. It's just way too busy, IMHO.

All of the above +

... buy this watch, and forever be explaining “...no no no, it’s not a Daytona, it’s better than a Daytona and now let me give you a history lesson of how Rolex used modified Zenith movements...”!

Huge respect for Zenith, but slightly less so after seeing these me-too designs.
Old 24 January 2021, 04:05 PM   #88
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
All of the above +

... buy this watch, and forever be explaining “...no no no, it’s not a Daytona, it’s better than a Daytona and now let me give you a history lesson of how Rolex used modified Zenith movements...”!

Huge respect for Zenith, but slightly less so after seeing these me-too designs.

Minor detail: nobody will ever ask about your watch whether it is zenith or Daytona.
Old 24 January 2021, 04:33 PM   #89
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Minor detail: nobody will ever ask about your watch whether it is zenith or Daytona.

Truth!!
Old 25 January 2021, 12:23 AM   #90
vh2k
"TRF" Member