The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 January 2021, 04:49 PM   #1
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Educate me on Cartier watches for women

So out of the blue, my wife says she wouldn’t mind a nice Cartier wife for herself. She wonders if it will hold the same value as my Rolex watches.... so I told her I would research it. Our 30th is coming up in about a year so perhaps this would make a great anniversary gift to symbolize the time spent together. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 07:43 PM   #2
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Women’s watches don’t hold value. The Cartier Tank Solo for women is iconic. My wife has the gold Tank on black leather strap. The “Jackie O”. https://www.cartier.com/en-us/collec...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can’t go wrong, but don’t buy for value retention.

Happy Anniversary! 30 years is an amazing milestone.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 07:52 PM   #3
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Women’s watches don’t hold value. The Cartier Tank Solo for women is iconic. My wife has the gold Tank on black leather strap. The “Jackie O”. https://www.cartier.com/en-us/collec...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can’t go wrong, but don’t buy for value retention.

Happy Anniversary! 30 years is an amazing milestone.

+1 to this

Even women rolex models dont hold value. Unless shes wearing the men's sports model. Would recommend you treat it like buying her jewellery where you buy what makes her happy.

Happy wife happy life
Old 23 January 2021, 09:58 PM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
So out of the blue, my wife says she wouldn’t mind a nice Cartier wife for herself. She wonders if it will hold the same value as my Rolex watches.... so I told her I would research it. Our 30th is coming up in about a year so perhaps this would make a great anniversary gift to symbolize the time spent together. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
If you're just seeking profit, then guess the wife is not as valuable to you as she thinks she is. Forget 'value'. I got my amazing Muse / wife the Cartier Tank XL plus many straps and she loves it. Added bonus, install a black strap and it looks great on men, so you both can wear it as/when desired

Be happy, she could have wanted a DJ with lots of bling like my Muse / wife. Get her the Cartier timepiece, as i found that if a wife asks for something.... unless of course you never plan on ever buying any more timepieces for yourself.

You know what you need to do today

Cartier_Wrist_Shot_purple_band.jpg

Cartier_Wrist_Shot_black_band.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 02:18 AM   #5
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
If you're just seeking profit, then guess the wife is not as valuable to you as she thinks she is. Forget 'value'. I got my amazing Muse / wife the Cartier Tank XL plus many straps and she loves it. Added bonus, install a black strap and it looks great on men, so you both can wear it as/when desired

Be happy, she could have wanted a DJ with lots of bling like my Muse / wife. Get her the Cartier timepiece, as i found that if a wife asks for something.... unless of course you never plan on ever buying any more timepieces for yourself.

You know what you need to do today

Attachment 1198709

Attachment 1198710
Perhaps I should have been more clear as your post assumes much. She’s actually the one that brought up retained value as she knows that Rolex watches usually don’t go down in value but she doesn’t like Rolex for herself and prefers Cartier. Appreciate the photos and thoughts on straps as the first photo is just gorgeous!
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 08:19 AM   #6
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Generally speaking doesn't hold value like a Rolex, but most brands don't. I purchased a Cartier Francaise for the better half and even its monetarily depreciated on a % more than any of our family of watches, it's been worth every penny.

Hope she finds a model that sings to her.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 04:12 PM   #7
Justindo
"TRF" Member

As others have written, women's watches don't hold value like men's watches and very few watches hold value or appreciate like Rolex. Cartier watches usually drop quite a bit, although solid gold manual wind Tanks tend to do better than most Cartier watches on the secondary market because they are so iconic and never go out of style.

The current production large size (not small or extra large) manual wind Louis Cartier WGTA0011 in rose gold would probably perform the best if you're thinking of value retention, but it will still drop a significant amount. Regardless, it's my favorite current Cartier and I would consider it a unisex watch. Still, it's a lot more expensive than the Tank Solos. I would go to Cartier with your wife and try on some different watches and see what she likes best. Like Fishrus writes, just treat it like a piece of jewelry when it comes to value retention.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 05:54 AM   #8
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Recently had the same scenario, Wife liked the small model , wanted to buy here an Auto but she wanted something smaller than her DJ so we went ahead with the small even with me not liking the idea of a Quartz ,but the point was to make her happy and the fact that she liked the steel small helped my wallet. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote