The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 3 January 2021, 08:43 AM   #1
Bayrat
"TRF" Member

Restoring an Oyster Bracelet 92353 18k/SS that has Stretched

I own a Submariner Rolex, Blue Face 16613 18k/SS with Serial Number P84XXXX, which was made in 2000. Bracelet Number 92353 18k/SS. I need to restore the Rolex Oyster bracelet that has stretched over the 20 years. I am a novice at “watch repair” but I am good with tools and fixing things. I am thinking of tackling this task on my own. I think I can do it with some help from the pros on this forum.
I think the tools I will need are an “Oyster Link Remover Tool” that disassembles the pressure fit link for Rolex Oyster bracelets. A good quality watch repair tool kit with different types of plyers. A Metal Band Link Pusher Vice, to press the links back together. There are a few places online to purchase the tools. The prices range from $150 - $450+ for each tool. The cheaper ones are direct ship from China via Aliexpress.
The Rolex Oyster band are held together with 4 pressure fit links on each side of the watch case, a total of 8 pressure links on the entire bracelet. The replacement pins are called a Double Serrated End Link (DSEL) Pin. I don’t know the size of the DSL pins for the 92353 bracelet. I have read the DSL pins are 1.2mm x a range from 16mm- 20mm long???
There are 3 DSEL pins per link, there are 4 links per side, total of 8 links = 24 DSEL pins. Now I might have over counted the DSEL Pins, it’s OK. When I order the DSEL pins I will overorder the pins anyway. I will need some “Screw Pins” for both sides of the bracelet that connects the pressure links to the screw links and the clasp. I have read I will need Loctite 221 to put on the ends of the DSEL pins before they are pressed into the links?

Question to anyone who has restored an Oyster Bracelet:
Am I headed in the right direction and have I left out anything?
What is the MM size of the Double Serrated End Link Pins?
What is the MM size of the Screw Pins?
I have a few websites to source DSL pins and Screw Pins from, I can share that info. Where do you source these Pins from?

If anyone can help its appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Bayrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 10:23 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There are a couple of shops that rebuild Rolex bracelets. They can be a source of information if you give them a call.

You could do like most engineers do.... take one apart and measure what you have. That always beats guesses and bad information.
Old 3 January 2021, 10:42 AM   #3
Goldfingr64
Banned

What do you intend to do about the worn 18K center links? Replacing bracelet pins is only one half of the repair. Can you do gold soldering work in case some metal needs to be added?
Goldfingr64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 11:18 PM   #4
Bayrat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfingr64 View Post
What do you intend to do about the worn 18K center links? Replacing bracelet pins is only one half of the repair. Can you do gold soldering work in case some metal needs to be added?
Goldfingr64 - I was hoping, more like rolling the dice, I would not need to do any Gold soldering for this restoration job. I have seen Rollieworks video and post on restoring a 18k/SS bracelet, great job! I can’t post links because I have under 10 posts “LOL” so copy and search - Rolexor 93153 Oyster Repair: Extreme Edition (rolliworks). My 92353 is not in that bad of shape so I might get lucky (right there I jinxed myself ha-ha). I have also seen videos on Jubilee bracelet repair, some are members here. It is totally different for restoring a Jubilee bracelet compared to restoring an Oyster bracelet, but they seem to do a great job without gold soldering.
I have not ordered the tools just yet but am very close to making that purchase and doing this myself. To be honest, I have reached out to one shop for this service and service on the watch movement - Classic Watch Repair, Michael Young’s shop. I figure it would be worth it if the shop can do both services at the same time. Their prices are very reasonable and is highly regarded on many forums. The shop must be busy because they have not returned a quote request via email and via their website? I do have reservations sending the watch from the USA (LI,NY) to Hong Kong but as others say “what’s the difference where you send it if its insured”
So, again, I am a few days away from buying all the tools that’s needed and tackling this job on my own.
Old 3 January 2021, 11:26 PM   #5
Bayrat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There are a couple of shops that rebuild Rolex bracelets. They can be a source of information if you give them a call.

You could do like most engineers do.... take one apart and measure what you have. That always beats guesses and bad information.
Yes, I agree! But i figured i would ask the pros who have performed a restoration already. I am purchasing a Digital Vernier Micrometer Caliper Measuring Tool for measuring the pins.
Cheers...
Old 4 January 2021, 05:25 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

What are you going to do when a knurled end of a pin breaks and is stuck inside the link? (which will inevitably happen).
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 08:39 AM   #7
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
What are you going to do when a knurled end of a pin breaks and is stuck inside the link? (which will inevitably happen).

Pray to Saint Eligius, the patron saint of guys who try to fix things...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote