The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2019, 06:15 AM   #1
MrKung
"TRF" Member

ETA 2824 movement - opinions

What are your opinion on the ETA 2824 movement featured in the black bay 36?

I feel that the 2824 is inferior to all in-house movements but I am interested in buying the Tudor black bay 36. What do you guys think?
MrKung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:18 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

It is a very solid movement capable of good accuracy and in my opinion is a little bit sturdier built than the 2892 used in many watches from the Richmont group.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:01 AM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
It is a very solid movement capable of good accuracy and in my opinion is a little bit sturdier built than the 2892 used in many watches from the Richmont group.
Interesting. I somehow got the notion that the 2892 was the "better" of the two. I'm always glad when you chime in. It's great to hear the perspective of a professional.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:18 AM   #4
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Interesting. I somehow got the notion that the 2892 was the "better" of the two. I'm always glad when you chime in. It's great to hear the perspective of a professional.
Sturdier is not necessarily better. The 2892 is a more elegant and thinner movement, better suited to dress watches. There’s a general impression that thickness equals sturdiness but in daily wear it makes little difference.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 06:48 AM   #5
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
It is the more precise(2892) of the two, but thinner. 2824 is thicker and more heavy duty if you will, But not quite as precise. Common grades the 2892 is more accurate normally. COSC 2892 by a small margin depending on what brand did the modifications... If any. Omega 2500 and 1120 is based on the 2892 if that tells you anything.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:18 AM   #6
easterbunny
"TRF" Member

I have put a 2824 through daily usage, frequent winds, and a lot of physical activity and it has held up for 9 straight years without a service. (i have since retired it until I can get it some service). in all that usage it was running only 5-9 seconds fast after all that time. i am pleased with what it has given me, and if everyone else is correct, it should be really easy and cheap to service.
easterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:20 AM   #7
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I do know that the ETA 2824 is a great movement. One hell of a work horse!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:21 AM   #8
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Very reliable and in chronometer spec very accurate. I’ve had many watches with this movement at various price levels and they have all worked flawlessly.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:29 AM   #9
e dantes
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex and Tudor movements are impressive but the ETA 2824 has been around and time tested. There are different grades of the movement. I would assume Tudor uses the top grade. The ease of service is an advantage over in-house movements.

I have several affordable watches with ETAs. I have not had problems with any of them.
e dantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:35 AM   #10
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I’ve got a chronometer grade ETA in one of my watches and it’s circa +1sec/day. The whole watch costs a similar amount to an uncomplicated Rolex movement and the cost to service is about a quarter of what Rolex would charge.

The whole “in-house” thing is a massive case of the Emperor’s new clothes as far as I’m concerned. A great movement is accurate, robust, reliable and readily serviceable. Check, check, check and check for the ETA. The name of the company that makes the movement ought to be irrelevant unless you’re talking about something with multiple complications or an exquisitely finished ultra high end movement in a PP or a Lange.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:45 AM   #11
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Very well proven.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:49 AM   #12
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Very well proven.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:48 AM   #13
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
It's the go to for Microbrand watches. I've had a dozen or more watches with it and no problems with any of them.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:54 AM   #14
MrKung
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys for the answers! Helps me getting more confident in buying a timepiece with an ETA movement.
MrKung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:31 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKung View Post
Thank you guys for the answers! Helps me getting more confident in buying a timepiece with an ETA movement.
ETA provides movements for many of the top names in the watch world.
Old 22 January 2019, 07:01 AM   #16
Rowlf
Banned

For me, the most significant difference is in the service interval.

Fair or not, Rolex has basically stated that if you can get 10 years, go for it. And many do.

The ETA movement, anecdotally can go as long, but it seems more like a 3 to 5 year interval.

Depending on who's doing the service, it can add up over the course of a lengthy ownership.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:03 AM   #17
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
get the feeling ETA black bays will be a collectable soon
Old 22 January 2019, 07:12 AM   #18
Saaci
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570

Highly recommend! BB36 is a great watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:09 AM   #19
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
This movement is also used in the Heritage Ranger. This article discusses the Tudor modifications to the ETA 2824.

https://timelessluxwatches.com/revie...ranger-review/
Old 22 January 2019, 09:53 AM   #20
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
It's a great movement and superior to plenty of in-house movements out there. In-house is unrelated to how good a movement is.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:57 AM   #21
AutoBay
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Odysseus
Quote:

I feel that the 2824 is inferior to all in-house movements but I am interested in buying the Tudor black bay 36. What do you guys think?

It’s cheap, available everywhere and therefore reliable and cost effective to service. Nuff said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AutoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:16 PM   #22
Kenny Powers
Banned

AUTOBAY:

Ah, the pontiff. The connoisseur's connoisseur.
Kenny Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:48 PM   #23
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I must admit I was disappointed to find out how extensively it was used. Homage watches using it in Submariner copies without disclosure, instead rebranding it as their own after in house 'testing' has been done to 'see if it's up to standard for their watch' etc is one thing that annoys me. Ahem. It's an excellent movement but widely used. The list of watches using it across brands, models and price points is endless! Obviously held in high regard. Plus any watchmaker worth their salt can fix one (on the off chance you can actually get one to stop working).
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:05 AM   #24
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:

Mine was purchased in 2012 - the first year of the Black Bay - and is still keeping almost perfect time (around +/- 1 sec/day).

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=ETA_2824-2
Old 22 January 2019, 06:48 PM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

The trouble today people get fixed on the in-house thing, but don't realise that all ETA are 100% in-house built too.Plus the fact ETA make 5 grades in most of their movements and ebauche movements including a top grade chronometer ones.And today even some of the most sort after Rolex watches have a ETA Valjoux movement inside.Now reading many posts on TRF many disregard movements from ETA Valjoux.So I must ask myself today is just the fact of owning something that today is very very expensive like say a Daytona 6263 with the ETA Valjoux 72 inside only bought because its now almost telephone prices.The ETA outstanding movements ETA 2836,ETA 2892-A2, ETA 2824/2T chronometer grades.Now I have special regard for the Valjoux 7750, and Unitas 6497/8 now this manual wind has not changed a lot in over 50 years,and has powered many a high end brands.Its built like a tank with a huge balance wheel and capable of very long life and very fine accuracy.Today many speak of the COSC well today IMHO its little more than pure marketing.As with a bit of patience many movements even humble to some can be regulated to pass this now antiquated test.The best for me was a $60 Chinese Seagull SG19 chronograph movement,after a bit of regulation well inside the COSC spec for over 6 years now but has been re-regulated to keep the accuracy.And today would expect there are more ETA/Valjoux powered watches in this world than any from the main so called inhouse Swiss brands.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:56 PM   #26
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Peter,

Did/do the watch manufacturers who use ETA movements use them as supplied by ETA or do they rebuild them to their own specification?
The finish on the Unitas 6497 in my Panerai 231 looks different to other 6497’s I have seen.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:50 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Peter,

Did/do the watch manufacturers who use ETA movements use them as supplied by ETA or do they rebuild them to their own specification?
The finish on the Unitas 6497 in my Panerai 231 looks different to other 6497’s I have seen.
On the Unites they change the the regulator to what I think they call the swan neck but not 100% certain on that, and finish the movement top plate.Most that use the two top grade movements ETA it's mainly branding on the rotors and perhaps a bit of top plate finish.With the Valjoux used in say Panerai the chrono module is removed and top plate finished.Now again not 100% certain but even the top plate finish could be done by ETA for the various brands.'

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:46 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The trouble today people get fixed on the in-house thing, but don't realise that all ETA are 100% in-house built too.Plus the fact ETA make 5 grades in most of their movements and ebauche movements including a top grade chronometer ones.And today even some of the most sort after Rolex watches have a ETA Valjoux movement inside.Now reading many posts on TRF many disregard movements from ETA Valjoux.So I must ask myself today is just the fact of owning something that today is very very expensive like say a Daytona 6263 with the ETA Valjoux 72 inside only bought because its now almost telephone prices.The ETA outstanding movements ETA 2836,ETA 2892-A2, ETA 2824/2T chronometer grades.Now I have special regard for the Valjoux 7750, and Unitas 6497/8 now this manual wind has not changed a lot in over 50 years,and has powered many a high end brands.Its built like a tank with a huge balance wheel and capable of very long life and very fine accuracy.Today many speak of the COSC well today IMHO its little more than pure marketing.As with a bit of patience many movements even humble to some can be regulated to pass this now antiquated test.The best for me was a $60 Chinese Seagull SG19 chronograph movement,after a bit of regulation well inside the COSC spec for over 6 years now but has been re-regulated to keep the accuracy.And today would expect there are more ETA/Valjoux powered watches in this world than any from the main so called inhouse Swiss brands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
On the Unites they change the the regulator to what I think they call the swan neck but not 100% certain on that, and finish the movement top plate.Most that use the two top grade movements ETA it's mainly branding on the rotors and perhaps a bit of top plate finish.With the Valjoux used in say Panerai the chrono module is removed and top plate finished.Now again not 100% certain but even the top plate finish could be done by ETA for the various brands.'
Thank you Peter, very informative
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 07:44 PM   #29
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I have two Breitling watches that use the Breitling 17 (ETA 2824) movement and have been impressed with both the durability and accuracy. I would not hesitate on your purchase based on this movement.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:10 PM   #30
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I know that when Breitling was using the 7750 it was taken apart, re done and re finished and called the B13 by Breitling. What they called the B10 may have been the 2824, can't recall for sure from memory. Completely re done and submitted to COSC the both of them. I have both and they have worked great for many years now. Funny how some feel that Rolex movements are so superior. Of course IWC was redoing ETA movements as well into their own and by all accounts are very reliable. These movements have definitely been proven over time and it's silly to think they are inferior.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote