The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 December 2019, 02:23 AM   #91
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Rolex protective Film: Thought this was a Joke but it’s real

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Bingo.

Like ndrs63 says a few posts up about feeling like wearing a fake while putting the real in the safe. A friend of mine actually told me that's exactly what he wanted to do when he bought his first 116610ln: buying a fake to wear so that he can put his sub in the safe and not getting scratches.

Believe this is not that abnormal (bit unusual I agree) - although the few I know buy the fake for holiday wear when they are in “scary” (read: unfamiliar) locations of the world but still want to look at their “watch” on their wrist.

Do I agree? No - am actually on holiday at the moment and am wearing my 116600 as it is my go-anywhere watch. Plus it is insured; as most of my chattels are...

Do I understand? Sort of - each to their own; it seems to makes sense to them.. (and they are not seeing any psychiatrists afaik!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 02:55 AM   #92
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Dollars?! Oh my life . That is entrepreneurship at its finest though. Textbook

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 08:04 AM   #93
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
Good, professionally installed PPF has a 10 year no questions asked warranty and you can lay ceramic sealant right over the top.

Wow I didn't even think to check my warranty! Oh well, I'm happier without extra plastic on my vehicle. My car isn't a show car or anything, it's a tool.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 11:38 AM   #94
Roy7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
This recent showed up on my Instagram feed. This company is now selling protective film for you watch. Thought they were trolling but I guess there are people who purchase this product. I understand doing this to your car but your watch??

https://www.styxwatch.com

I messaged them to see if they had anything for my ROC because the bezel is a scratch magnet, and asked if it'd be visible over the brushed finish (they don't have one and it probably would).

I also don't get the haters that make fun of people for preserving the watch. My only thought is they're just choosing to look down on others for some sense of superiority.

'I can't imagine someone wanting to protect something they care about... peasants'

People have iPhone screen protectors, car wraps, MacBooks wraps and ways of protecting just about anything people care about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2019, 03:30 PM   #95
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I would say the opposite. My 911GT3 was tracked frequently and picked up many dings and repainted. That is what, with their handling and power, they are meant to do.

As for the watch film, that’s up to the owner, not for me to critique. I would say if one wants to do so, cutting a few strips of 3M tape should work fine for a few bucks.
Hmmmm....thanks for the other perspective. My buddy did not track his car. It was his daily driver and he was interested in getting as much as he could for it when he sold it after a year of use.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 12:19 PM   #96
sambb
"TRF" Member

any updates on this for those using it? how is it?
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 12:21 PM   #97
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This is a joke, right?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 12:29 PM   #98
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

$80 for plastic, wow!
Not for me, but I’m sure they’re selling.
Old 1 March 2020, 12:30 PM   #99
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
i read this a while back and wanted to make fun of the idea. Why buy something if you cannot enjoy it right? But I think this is a good idea for some higher value watches. And/or someone who doesnt want to scratch their watch. Buckles and bracelet links end up looking pretty bad from daily use. Not going to buy but if I did, Id want to buy like 5 buckle or link sets just to protect the underside of the watch. Thats where i do the most abuse. But the price is pretty high. Id probably use clear tape before i threw down that kinda money. Im sure its good for a long time but dang $48-$88?
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 12:35 PM   #100
Brownb2110
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
i read this a while back and wanted to make fun of the idea. Why buy something if you cannot enjoy it right? But I think this is a good idea for some higher value watches. And/or someone who doesnt want to scratch their watch. Buckles and bracelet links end up looking pretty bad from daily use. Not going to buy but if I did, Id want to buy like 5 buckle or link sets just to protect the underside of the watch. Thats where i do the most abuse. But the price is pretty high. Id probably use clear tape before i threw down that kinda money. Im sure its good for a long time but dang $48-$88?
Some “higher value” watches.....wouldn’t any Rolex fit in to this category?
Brownb2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 01:06 PM   #101
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Stu View Post
Actually, I wouldn't mind something to protect the clasp - particularly the polished center strip on the clasp - on some of my watches. Those are the only marks that seem to bother me at all.

I am against the idea of the film generally, but could get behind just protecting the clasp.

Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 09:00 PM   #102
PowerPlay_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
any updates on this for those using it? how is it?
Ok long time lurker here but since I just got a kit for my Milgauss, thought I'd chime in.

Gotta say, I debated whether to buy into this idea or not for a long time. I definitely get the "just wear the watch" argument, but then again every time I look at the scratched up clasp of my Milgauss, a little part of me inch closer to pressing that check out button to see if these films would actually work.

Finally pulled the trigger and honestly, I'm glad I have the choice to protect my watches. Paying $88 for a little peace of mind wearing a $8000 watch is definitely worth it in my book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Milgauss with styx 1.jpg (190.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Milgauss with styx.jpg (187.0 KB, 126 views)
PowerPlay_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 10:31 PM   #103
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m in the “it’s your watch, do as you want” camp.

I personally think stickers detract from the beautiful brushed and polished case and bracelet finishes that Rolex uses. Covering them with stickers just reduces the enjoyment I would get as a result.

I also think they attract “gunk” (for lack of a better word), so they definitely aren’t for me.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 11:21 PM   #104
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

I bet all these people who are saying "why but it if you can't enjoy it.." and other various negative comments are the exact same people who have a case on the cell phones and a screen guard.

It's the exact same principle people, and your damn phones cost a fraction of the price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 11:30 PM   #105
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPlay_ View Post
Ok long time lurker here but since I just got a kit for my Milgauss, thought I'd chime in.

Gotta say, I debated whether to buy into this idea or not for a long time. I definitely get the "just wear the watch" argument, but then again every time I look at the scratched up clasp of my Milgauss, a little part of me inch closer to pressing that check out button to see if these films would actually work.

Finally pulled the trigger and honestly, I'm glad I have the choice to protect my watches. Paying $88 for a little peace of mind wearing a $8000 watch is definitely worth it in my book.
It looks hideous, sorry.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 12:28 AM   #106
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
I bet all these people who are saying "why but it if you can't enjoy it.." and other various negative comments are the exact same people who have a case on the cell phones and a screen guard.

It's the exact same principle people, and your damn phones cost a fraction of the price.

Not the same. My Note9 has a glass screen and a glass back. I use a case to protect the life of the phone in case of a drop onto the asphalt.

Watches are made of metal. How often does your watch hit the ground when on your wrist. These silly plastic scratch protectors are proof that some here allow the watch to wear them instead of them wearing the watch. Totally ridiculous. Go ahead and wrap your entire car in Saran wrap so it doesn't get a scratch!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 01:10 AM   #107
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

People put protective film on cars and phones, and other stuff so I have no problem with people doing it on expensive watches.

My problem is that it's really not all that invisible and looks kind of bad, but some watches are absolute scratch magnets with shiny surfaces and some watches like Subs are not.

Do what you want. It's your watch.

I play hockey with guys that wear face shields (pussies) and some of us don't (real men). To me scars are a sigh of a life well lived. (chicks dig it)
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 01:15 AM   #108
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
It looks hideous, sorry.
Agreed
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 03:07 AM   #109
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
I wonder if this more for the wearers, or the flippers who want to keep it "pristine" for resale. No bueno for me.
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 04:57 AM   #110
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
what a waste of $78-$88...protective plastic looks hideous on a watch, and when the edges start to peel up it'll look even worse.
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 04:59 AM   #111
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post

IMO its not actually the same principle...the purpose of a case and screen cover are to reduce the risk of a phone breaking from a drop.
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 05:40 AM   #112
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWatchNut View Post
what a waste of $78-$88...protective plastic looks hideous on a watch, and when the edges start to peel up it'll look even worse.
Would like to know from buyers how long they stay stuck down w/ daily use.
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 06:31 AM   #113
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Not the same. My Note9 has a glass screen and a glass back. I use a case to protect the life of the phone in case of a drop onto the asphalt.

Watches are made of metal. How often does your watch hit the ground when on your wrist. These silly plastic scratch protectors are proof that some here allow the watch to wear them instead of them wearing the watch. Totally ridiculous. Go ahead and wrap your entire car in Saran wrap so it doesn't get a scratch!
Your watch has a glass screen on it as well, do you protect it?

Hey, it's not my bag either, I'm just not gonna throw hate for something that's not really that crazy.

GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 06:37 AM   #114
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Just check the grey dealers, different price with or without plastic.
Exactly Jocke... Higher price with protective plastics
in place.
sad but true ... sometimes in the thousands
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 07:03 AM   #115
Michael V
Banned

Watch: SD43
I could see a thin piece for the clasp... mine gets scratched up so easily but the rest of the watch, no thanks.
Michael V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 07:57 AM   #116
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWatchNut View Post
That amount of money will buy me a decent bottle of single malt Scotch.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 08:00 AM   #117
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
That amount of money will buy me a decent bottle of single malt Scotch.
Oh great.

Then you'll be staggering around the house, fall down the stairs and scratch the hell out of your watch.
Old 3 March 2020, 08:01 AM   #118
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Oh great.

Then you'll be staggering around the house, fall down the stairs and scratch the hell out of your watch.
Old 3 March 2020, 08:12 AM   #119
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Do women tape their wedding rings? Their expensive watches? Their Birkin bags or Chanel bags? Maybe women know something men don't.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 08:26 AM   #120
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Maybe women know something men don't.
You've stumbled into some dangerous territory here.