The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2021, 03:37 PM   #1
TXrumblebee
"TRF" Member

Crystal Scratch

Hello! I’m new to the forum but I’ve got a question. I was lucky enough to get the newest Sub date from an AD. I love nearly everything about the watch except the crystal. I’ve worn it nearly 2 months and it’s picked up more scratches than my Tudor BB I’ve had for a couple of years. I’m pretty bummed since I wear it no different than my other watches. I know I could take it back to the AD and pay $250-300 for a replacement, but if the subsequent sapphire gets scratches as easily, I’m better off waiting until a service is due. Has anyone else had this issue? It seems like all the prior “newer” models haven’t had this issue; it’s supposed to be pretty bomb-proof, right?
TXrumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 08:15 PM   #2
london_v
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Care to share any pictures? The crystal shouldn’t pick up any scratches under normal wear, unless it’s been accidentally brushed by a diamond ring or something similar.
london_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 08:36 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXrumblebee View Post
Hello! I’m new to the forum but I’ve got a question. I was lucky enough to get the newest Sub date from an AD. I love nearly everything about the watch except the crystal. I’ve worn it nearly 2 months and it’s picked up more scratches than my Tudor BB I’ve had for a couple of years. I’m pretty bummed since I wear it no different than my other watches. I know I could take it back to the AD and pay $250-300 for a replacement, but if the subsequent sapphire gets scratches as easily, I’m better off waiting until a service is due. Has anyone else had this issue? It seems like all the prior “newer” models haven’t had this issue; it’s supposed to be pretty bomb-proof, right?
Please post some pictures as I find it very hard to believe than any sapphire crystal could get more scratches than any other sapphire crystal.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 02:12 AM   #4
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Please post some pictures as I find it very hard to believe than any sapphire crystal could get more scratches than any other sapphire crystal.
This
Old 30 January 2021, 09:09 PM   #5
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Very unusual!
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 10:25 PM   #6
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXrumblebee View Post
Maybe when you say ‘crystal’ you mean something else, because the chances of your Rolex Submariner Date (assuming it’s genuine) picking up ‘more scratches’ should be impossible. Unless your sleeves have embedded diamond dust in the fabric.

Mineral glass crystals will pick up many scratches, but no modern (genuine) Rolex uses mineral glass. Sapphire crystal will not easily scratch, and while a spouse’s diamond ring can definitely cause a scratch, you would have mentioned such an event (and you mentioned you wear it no different from your other watches).

Please share pictures because you’re describing an impossibility (outside regular wrestling with diamond-wearing spouses, use of the watch crystal as a brake pad in circuit racing; and/or shirt sleeves with embedded diamond dust).
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 10:48 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

Pictures are worth a thousand words
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 10:52 PM   #8
dontbeshort
"TRF" Member

Watch: LN LV BLRO BLNR
I am lucky to have purchased the same ref back in November from an AD. I am pleased to say that the crystal is still in absolute mint condition still. Not a single micro mark anywhere. And I’ve worn it 24/7 every day. It sounds to me there is a defect in your crystal if you’re picking up scratches. Take it back to your AD and they’ll get it replaced for sure .
dontbeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 11:00 PM   #9
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
As other stated there’s no way the crystal can be scratched easily with normal wear unless if rubbed with a sandpaper or sharp metallic surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 January 2021, 11:04 PM   #10
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Pictures please.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 11:16 PM   #11
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
I’ve heard these new references have full AR coating now, but assuming that’s on the underside.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 01:35 AM   #12
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Sapphire is an extremely hard material, so unlikely you have multiple scratches.

Pop some pics up to help

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 02:17 AM   #13
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
OP, if you reply to each post, you will have enough posts to be able to post photos. I’ve never seen a horrific issue with repeated scratching of sapphire crystal.

I’m doubtful and will issue a full apology after seeing pics.

Must see to believe.
Old 31 January 2021, 06:07 AM   #14
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Pictures or it never happened.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 03:29 PM   #15
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
It never happened. Unless the OP means something else by ‘crystal,’ or he wears it at the extreme end of what would be considered normal, what he describes (multiple scratches on a sapphire crystal from everyday wear) is literally impossible.

At least for a genuine watch.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 03:56 PM   #16
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

seems sus
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 04:00 PM   #17
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
How the heck is that possible.