The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 December 2015, 04:09 AM   #1
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

1601 advice needed

I've traded a lot of watches on the forums but don't know much about vintage Rolex. My spouse saw a vintage 34mm Rolex Datejust at Barney's that she wanted (might have been a 1505 or maybe 15053?) priced at a mere $6K & I was confident I could do better here.

So, after a brief search I'm deciding between four similar 1601s, silver dial with WG fluted bezel, priced in the same range (1900-2300). All of the sellers check out. What questions should I ask that might help me decide? Are there any questions you like to ask the seller up front? Also, the bracelets mostly seem to show a lot of stretch, I assume that's normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2015, 05:17 AM   #2
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

When was it last serviced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 December 2015, 05:32 AM   #3
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I love 1601s. This is a very durable movement. One point, the 1601 is 36mm, as opposed to the 34mm 1500 series. They cost more than than the 15XX because they are larger. If you are contemplating swapping the dial, be aware that the 1601 takes the "pie pan" style dial, the later flat dials do not fit. The serial number on the movement should match the one on the case, or it is considered a "frankenwatch". In the WG bezel there are two styles, one more deeply incised than the other. In the silver dial, the markers come in different shapes: wide-boy, door-stop, and standard. If you are thinking of buying an example with a "wide-boy" dial, try to buy with the matching hands, many have had the hands replaced with later, narrower style hands.
Old 15 December 2015, 06:18 AM   #4
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
When was it last serviced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

A good service runs 1/4-1/3 of the price of a 1601; anything with a semi-recent service is well worth paying towards the upper end of the range you mention. That being said, a 1570 movement is a workhorse and will probably run just fine for 30 years between intervals. I've never come across one that didn't run, serviced or not.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2015, 06:23 AM   #5
dpa94114
"TRF" Member

I have a good pal who works for Barneys...and while they are now very excited to be carrying some vintage Rolex, they are not terribly knowledgeable. I doubt anyone there would be able to take the back off to see the service dates on the case nor the ownership history.

Take a look at CMT watches...or HQ Milton...or ping Andrew Shear at Sheartime or Hill Street watches for sellers who know the details.
dpa94114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 05:10 AM   #6
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice-- I tried some of these suggestions. The questions about servicing & matching serial # on case & movement turned off a couple of potential sellers, but nobody I was eager to buy from.

I'll probably just stick to the recommended vintage watch sellers until I get some more experience.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 05:32 AM   #7
U5512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
The serial number on the movement should match the one on the case, or it is considered a "frankenwatch". .
This is INCORRECT information. The serial number of the movement NEVER matches with the one on the case. I repeat, it NEVER matches with the serial number of the case.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 06:19 AM   #8
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U5512 View Post
This is INCORRECT information. The serial number of the movement NEVER matches with the one on the case. I repeat, it NEVER matches with the serial number of the case.
I stand corrected BUT my information was from 2 dealers that I consider reputable and knowledgeable. Is that specific to the 1601, the watch that they showed me matching numbers on was a 1625 Thunderbird? I certainly do NOT want to pass on bad information.
Old 18 December 2015, 07:44 AM   #9
dstacy
Banned

Watch: A few
Quote:
The serial number on the movement should match the one on the case, or it is considered a "frankenwatch". .
Huh? What??!!
dstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 07:59 AM   #10
wehttaM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I stand corrected BUT my information was from 2 dealers that I consider reputable and knowledgeable. Is that specific to the 1601, the watch that they showed me matching numbers on was a 1625 Thunderbird? I certainly do NOT want to pass on bad information.
Are you referring to the reference numbers on the case and the case back perhaps?
wehttaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 04:23 AM   #11
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Caseback and case reference numbers don't always match, especially if the watch was serviced. I've seen it discussed on the forum a number of times and I have a few 60s-70s stainless watches with random casebacks that are 100% otherwise.

No, I was under the apparently mistaken impression that there was a match between 1570 movement serials and case serials: I don't know why I believed it other than it was told to me by two different relatively knowledgeable individuals, who were quite clear that this is NEVER the case for 18XX DDs.

I apologize to all offended by my ignorance and resolve to do better in the future. I still love 1601s.
Old 20 December 2015, 04:31 AM   #12
dstacy
Banned

Watch: A few
Quote:
Caseback and case reference numbers don't always match, especially if the watch was serviced. I've seen it discussed on the forum a number of times and I have a few 60s-70s stainless watches with random casebacks that are 100% otherwise.

No, I was under the apparently mistaken impression that there was a match between 1570 movement serials and case serials: I don't know why I believed it other than it was told to me by two different relatively knowledgeable individuals, who were quite clear that this is NEVER the case for 18XX DDs.

I apologize to all offended by my ignorance and resolve to do better in the future. I still love 1601s.
You didn't offend anyone. We're good.
Merry Christmas
dstacy is offline   Reply With Quote