The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 December 2015, 07:01 AM   #1
ahantel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512, 1016, 1675
1962: A Sub with a Story

Hi all,

New here to the forum as I've been primarily Speedy guy but I've got an interesting story that'll end with a new Submariner (for me) this Sunday.

My friend Edwin is an older guy with an interesting life story: born next to the Woodford Reserve Distillery in Kentucky, he went on to serve in Korea as part of the U.S. Marines and continue with them into the mid-60's before abandoning it for the Baptist Clergy (as a pastor in Height-Ashbury in the 60's-70's nonetheless ). Years later, after leading a Chamber of Commerce and VFW, he converted to Russian Orthodoxy (where he and I became friends) and took troubled young adults in as a mentor and helped them turn their lives around.

Talking to him last week I mentioned that I was starting to collect watches and mentioned off-hand the Heuer Bund as an interesting piece I was looking at because of it's military background. He asked if I'd like his old watch that he used in the 60's while he trained and became a master parachutist. He said that he doesn't wear it much and would like to pass it on to someone who'd appreciate the history and provenance of the watch. Then he tells me that it's a Rolex Submariner that he got while part of the service in 1962 (either while in Europe or in the FL Keys, not sure which) and that he'd love to give it to me for my names day (an eastern European Christian holiday celebrating the commemoration day of the saint you're named after) which for me is this month. Despite my surprise and attempts to get him to be compensated for it he wouldn't have it, citing the above statement about wanting to pass it on.

As I wait with baited breath for Sunday I wanted to ask you all a few questions as a Rolex catechumen...

1. Which iterations of the Sub were made in 1962? I've seen 5512, 5513, 5508, not sure about others. And this is assuming that the Sub he got in 1962 was made then.

2. As I'm sure it'll need a service, where in Chicago or the midwest U.S. would people advise me sending the watch to ensure TLC and good worksmanship? Obviously apart from a cleaning and mechanical service I will have nothing touched.

3. I've seen many different opinions on the radium use/damage to the dials then, when was this phased out (there's been a wide range of dates mentioned) and should I be expecting this?

4. Any guesses on what it'll be?? Any favorites from then?

Cheers and of course I will provide pictures of the meeting and watch after it happens.

-AH
ahantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 09:36 AM   #2
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
If it's a gilt sub, you've really scored. The gift from your friend is even more special. I don't think you can go wrong here, congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 09:51 AM   #3
Miami Manny
Banned

Jacek just listed one for $47,000!! Crazy.
Miami Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 11:44 AM   #4
watchpatina
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 16200
Very excited for you!!! Glad we live in the same city; so I can check it out ! I have a name for you to contact about getting it serviced; I'll email you.

Chances are it's older production; you know these watches didn't always sell right away...

Keep us (me) posted

Founder/Editor watchpatina.com
Instagram @watchpatina
watchpatina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 02:58 AM   #5
James 45
Banned

Watch: No date Sub 14060M
Wow!
I would make sure he knows what it is worth! Just saying a lot will not do.
He paid maybe $150 and a lot to him now, might be $1500.
$40-50 thousand could change his mind! haha

I am sure you would tell him.

I had a similar thing with my boss and a 1968 Milguass
he thought might be worth $350 and if it was worth fixing. It was not broken just needed a service.

I offered him $12,000 and told him it was worth a least $15,000
He did not sell. He was a Dr. in mineralogy but knew nothing about watches!
I am glad he kept it. He said it will stay in the family and his son already calls it his.lol

hope you have a great Sunday and tell us how it goes.
pictures would be GREAT!
James 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 05:23 AM   #6
pocketjoe25
"TRF" Member

One of the reasons I love vintage watches so much: while not always told, there's a always a story behind each piece!
pocketjoe25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2015, 07:33 AM   #7
ahantel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512, 1016, 1675
Different thread

Here are a few pictures of the watch as I got it, I posted them on a different thread: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=448245

The guys at http://watchpatina.com interviewed me and are doing a story on it in the next week so you can hear/see more about it then!
ahantel is offline   Reply With Quote