The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 May 2017, 12:14 PM   #1
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Rolex Robbery at Costco (Bay Area)

I wonder if Costco will increase security or stop carrying luxury watches all together?

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...nville-costco/
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 12:24 PM   #2
BravoOne
Banned

Yeah I ws in the Costco in Summerlin, NV today and noticed a Yachtmaster ll for $14,199. Maybe good photo of the watch and a tag to pick it up like they do their electronics would be a better procedure for buying these high ticket items. Also had a single malt scotch for $11,000.
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 12:37 PM   #3
rickyslam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, DaytonaC, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoOne View Post
Yeah I ws in the Costco in Summerlin, NV today and noticed a Yachtmaster ll for $14,199. Maybe good photo of the watch and a tag to pick it up like they do their electronics would be a better procedure for buying these high ticket items. Also had a single malt scotch for $11,000.
I was at the one in Henderson yesterday and also looking for a Rolex behind the case. I didn't see anything, or at least nothing caught my eye. They do also have some good deals on shorts right now.
rickyslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 01:02 PM   #4
BravoOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyslam View Post
I was at the one in Henderson yesterday and also looking for a Rolex behind the case. I didn't see anything, or at least nothing caught my eye. They do also have some good deals on shorts right now.
The Henderson store is considerably less high end.....anything. They are building a new store over on St Rise, Hopefully it has abetter wind selection that the existing Henderson store. I am frequently in some of the Seattle COSTCO's and they have a much better selection that what we see around here.
Old 20 May 2017, 11:49 PM   #5
wrist_watcher
Banned

Watch: GMTII
This is a liability costco will have to deal with if they want to display Rolex carrying a price tag of several thousand dollars. Seen one Costco shown on a thread here selling a gold Sub for 26K. Bet there is no extra security for that one either. Their jewelry cases are right near the entrance to their stores.
wrist_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 11:56 PM   #6
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
The thieves were probably just trying to make their mortgage...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=539276
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 04:43 AM   #7
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyslam View Post
I was in the one in Carlsbad yesterday, no Rolex in the watch case.

I did buy 2 pairs of those shorts, they are nice...the ones with the fluorescent orange fabric on the inside.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 05:07 AM   #8
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrist_watcher View Post
This is a liability costco will have to deal with if they want to display Rolex carrying a price tag of several thousand dollars. Seen one Costco shown on a thread here selling a gold Sub for 26K. Bet there is no extra security for that one either. Their jewelry cases are right near the entrance to their stores.
So the question is. How can Costco reduce and/or limit these kinds of occurrences? Fortunately no bystanders/customers were injured during the course of this 'smash and grab' with random gunshots.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 05:14 AM   #9
BravoOne
Banned

You have to wonder about the perpetrator as in theory at least they have to me a member to get in the front door with photo membership card assuming was not stolen to begin with. That means that some where in their records they should be identifiable. Not sure how easy that would be but if they are locals that would be pretty easy to track down IMO. After all they must have been in this store before as they knew the watch was there for the pickn.
Old 21 May 2017, 05:18 AM   #10
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
You have to wonder about the perpetrator as in theory at least they have to me a member to get in the front door with photo membership card assuming was not stolen to begin with. That means that some where in their records they should be identifiable. Not sure how easy that would be but if they are locals that would be pretty easy to track down IMO. After all they must have been in this store before as they knew the watch was there for the pickn.
You brought up a very good point, one that I had been pondering myself. If this information is indeed traceable, it would just go to show that the perpetrators weren't very bright to begin with.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 05:49 AM   #11
jhilly8982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's pretty easy to get into Costco without card, tell them you forgot your card and they will send you in the store to customer service desk. On a weekend, that area is a mad house, easy to disappear in the crowd.
jhilly8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 05:57 AM   #12
BravoOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilly8982 View Post
It's pretty easy to get into Costco without card, tell them you forgot your card and they will send you in the store to customer service desk. On a weekend, that area is a mad house, easy to disappear in the crowd.

That would mean some interaction with a COSTCO employee, probably something that the perps would not want. Who knows these guys might never be caught. Wasn't there some other Rolex smash and grab over in the East Bay (Danville), in the last couple of weeks. Maybe there is a trend here?
Old 21 May 2017, 07:15 AM   #13
jhilly8982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That would mean some interaction with a COSTCO employee, probably something that the perps would not want. Who knows these guys might never be caught. Wasn't there some other Rolex smash and grab over in the East Bay (Danville), in the last couple of weeks. Maybe there is a trend here?
their faces are on camera as well, at my costco there are cameras everywhere.
jhilly8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 11:55 AM   #14
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

This is a very busy Costco, it's close to my home also. The article in the last paragraph states that this same Costco was robbed earlier this month and a hammer was used to smash a display case.
Old 21 May 2017, 02:37 PM   #15
drm20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Just one more
That's crazy! I grew up in Walnut Creek right by Danville. Definitely not an area you would expect this to happen but nothing surprises me anymore. Too bad.
drm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 04:32 PM   #16
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
I was at this Costco a few hours after the robbery. There was still a Rolex in the case.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 11:00 AM   #17
OooSnap
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
I was at this Costco a few hours after the robbery. There was still a Rolex in the case.
makes me wonder how many more rolex costco has in the back....
OooSnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 11:12 AM   #18
versetti88

Costco in Canada already doesn't sell any Rolexes (only Tags and the odd Victorinox or something), and I wonder if it is due to possible robbery. Maybe it's related to our insurance laws or something.
versetti88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2017, 08:17 PM   #19
BravoOne
Banned

these guys probably sold that watch within an hour or two on the other side of the bay. Just a watch without any papers, warranty, etc, will make it a hard sell for anyone knowing the slightest thing about Rolex watches. I have seen guys trying sell stuff in strip mall parking lots, moving from car to car and asking if you would like to by a watch. Buyer beware!
Old 23 May 2017, 02:33 AM   #20
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrist_watcher View Post
Costco is going to have to hire armed security if they keep getting hit with Rolex robberies. Right now thieves see an easy target. The jewelry case is usually a stone's throw from the building entrance. Maybe they will reconsider selling high end watches due to the liability.
It's fairly easy to walk in during the busy times and by pass the person checking cards and let's be honest are they really looking at the cards. I can barely read mine with my glasses on right in front of me. You can fake one pretty easy.

The watches are sitting next to 25k diamond rings and other expensive jewelry, so really a solution is to move the whole Jewelry counter back by the 10k bottles of cognac, scotch, tekilua and Bourdeaux way in the back area by the nice prime meats Just a matter of time now if they don't move that section they'll have to hire security but then you might have injured employees or customers if a robbery occurred. Your not going to stop a crazed drug addicted human who wants to steal but you can make it much more difficult. Costco I go to is a madhouse on the weekends.

Their going to move the whole section is my guess
Old 23 May 2017, 03:28 AM   #21
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

Rolex Robbery at Costco (Bay Area)

This happened just a few weeks ago in neighboring Walnut Creek. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same group of scumbags:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=7552827

We always hear of these types of crimes, and it always makes me wonder why they still make jewelry displays that shatter so easily. Surely there's a way to make these displays smashproof? Bulletproof glass, anyone? Not an engineer/chemist, but it sounds like a good business opportunity for an enterprising glass or fixture maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 04:02 AM   #22
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Yeah, saw the news about the robbery in Walnut Creek.