The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 May 2017, 04:22 PM   #1
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Jealous of ... Rolex

Dear fellow TRF, I just read some comments on Facebook about the $5M Bao Dai Rolex. It was very frustrating! some saying that he has a Timex that's more classy, others that there are better things to invest in or one can buy a house and have children for that price ... some even saying that one shouldn't throw money on fashion, art...
I say that those people, unfortunately, are living in denial and don't know the quality of Rolex. IMHO, one shouldn't judge anything if he didn't experienced it before.
Let's hear your opinions about this.
Cheers my friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 May 2017, 04:48 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well, the Bao Dai's price is pretty insane, and has more to do with a collector's caprice than quality. So, in that sense, I understand the critiques.

If this thread is about Rolex, generally, then that's a different response for me.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus09 View Post
Dear fellow TRF, I just read some comments on Facebook about the $5M Bao Dai Rolex. It was very frustrating! some saying that he has a Timex that's more classy, others that there are better things to invest in or one can buy a house and have children for that price ... some even saying that one shouldn't throw money on fashion, art...
I say that those people, unfortunately, are living in denial and don't know the quality of Rolex. IMHO, one shouldn't judge anything if he didn't experienced it before.
Let's hear your opinions about this.
Cheers my friends.

I think everyone has their "thing." Some people think it's stupid to spend so much money on a watch when their smart phone does the same thing, while others think it's stupid to spend $8,000 on a salt water fish tank (I have a friend who is really into fish tanks.) Basically I say, "whatever makes you happy / floats your boat." I couldn't care less what others spend their money on, and if it makes them happy, more power to them
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 04:55 PM   #4
rolehex

Well Facebook's your actual problem here but here's my take: There are luxury items that you can buy today...then enjoy the hell out of for 20 years...then sell them and break even or make a profit. (Some Art, Some watches, some classic cars, etc) For me its a no brainier.

Everybody's got something they spend their money on. I have a buddy who thinks I'm crazy regarding watches but he's spent over 30k on his LP's and stereo system. I have another buddy who has three Harley's. I can keep going.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 05:08 PM   #5
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
others that there are better things to invest in or one can buy a house and have children for that price ... some even saying that one shouldn't throw money on fashion, art...
I say that those people, unfortunately, are living in denial and don't know the quality of Rolex.
Not sure that watch was said to be an investment. One can buy a house and have children for that price? I don't believe the purchaser denied himself a home nor children in an effort to fund the watch purchase.

Now you're suggesting that these people are in denial. In denial of what? Perhaps if they knew the quality of Rolex they would approve Rolex as an investment and prefer to have a watch versus a home and children?

Not quite sure I follow your logic. I think your post is a response to something that is plainly untrue to begin with and this untruth is fueled by their denial and lack of knowledge regarding the quality of Rolex?
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 05:11 PM   #6
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Jealous of ... Rolex

And I got a friend who spent over $40.000 for Blu Ray movies and thinks Swatch is a great brand.
Forgive me, but I was frustrated by the comments so I had to say something.
Again, I cannot judge a movie before I see it, same thing goes for Rolex: you should wear it to know its real values. And it goes the same for all sort of things (cars, bikes, stereo systems...), I get all that.
Cheers.

Old 20 May 2017, 05:32 PM   #7
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
Not sure that watch was said to be an investment. One can buy a house and have children for that price? I don't believe the purchaser denied himself a home nor children in an effort to fund the watch purchase.

Now you're suggesting that these people are in denial. In denial of what? Perhaps if they knew the quality of Rolex they would approve Rolex as an investment and prefer to have a watch versus a home and children?

Not quite sure I follow your logic. I think your post is a response to something that is plainly untrue to begin with and this untruth is fueled by their denial and lack of knowledge regarding the quality of Rolex?

What I meant is that they cannot compare watches to houses to cars ... I understand that not everyone can have a Rolex or any high end Watch brand for that matter, but I think that they are in denial that all things have their own purpose of existence including this Watch. Not just because I can buy a house, have a family... that this Watch shouldn't exist. It's just a timeless classic watch that has its place in this world and should be respected as such. No one is obliging them to buy it, it's just a piece of art that they can contemplate. When I see a painting worth $100M, do I say "Oh I don't want that, I'll have a castle instead "; I'll just say "what a beautiful painting! It's even better than this other one".
Again apologies if I misinterpreted my idea and if I hurt anyone with my words, but I meant no harm and I'm just expressing myself.
Cheers.

Old 20 May 2017, 05:42 PM   #8
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
If I had a lot more money and collecting historically significant watches was my thing, then sure, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

The watch itelf, regardless of significance? Well, I prefer the watch without the diamonds (pics below, from Jake's Rolex World) The 6602 Moonphase is a beautiful piece and I'd let one climb onto my wrist any day of the week.

As for what other people say on facebook...I don't give a rat's patootey.

Last edited by Jake B; 20 May 2017 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: spelling error.
Jake B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 05:47 PM   #9
"TRF" Member

Bao Dai, the last king of my country, i'm from vietnam :)
0975232323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 05:48 PM   #10
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Jealous of ... Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
If I had a lot more money and collecting historically significant watches was my thing, then sure, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

The watch itelf, regardless of significance? Well, I prefer the watch without the diamonds (pics below, from Jake's Rolex World) The 6602 Moonphase is a beautiful piece and I'd let one climb onto my wrist any day of the week.

Nicely said
Btw, great shots of the Watch!

Old 20 May 2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Nicely said
Btw, great shots of the Watch!

Thanks Good weekend, mate.
Old 20 May 2017, 06:00 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
A Basquiat painting that looks like a failed graffiti artist's nightmare just sold this week for $110.5 million. It's all relative.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 06:00 PM   #13
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I meant is that they cannot compare watches to houses to cars ... I understand that not everyone can have a Rolex or any high end Watch brand for that matter, but I think that they are in denial that all things have their own purpose of existence including this Watch. Not just because I can buy a house, have a family... that this Watch shouldn't exist. It's just a timeless classic watch that has its place in this world and should be respected as such. No one is obliging them to buy it, it's just a piece of art that they can contemplate. When I see a painting worth $100M, do I say "Oh I don't want that, I'll have a castle instead "; I'll just say "what a beautiful painting! It's even better than this other one".
Again apologies if I misinterpreted my idea and if I hurt anyone with my words, but I meant no harm and I'm just expressing myself.
Cheers.

Understood and well said. Makes a world of sense. There are no external measures one can deploy in measuring the instrinsic emotional value of something.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 06:06 PM   #14
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

The sum of its parts (and that of most collectibles) is pennies and pounds. The name, reputation, heritage and rarity fuel the demand and price.
Old 20 May 2017, 06:19 PM   #15
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Jealous of ... Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
Understood and well said. Makes a world of sense. There are no external measures one can deploy in measuring the instrinsic emotional value of something.

Cheers and have a great weekend my friend !

Old 20 May 2017, 06:37 PM   #16
nursejm
Banned

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Tag.
Reading comments on Facebook is cancerous.

I read it just for fun, don't take it seriously otherwise you will end up getting trolled.

Best regards,
nursejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 07:01 PM   #17
Smarties
"TRF" Member

Different people cherish different things. It's freedom of choice.
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 08:38 PM   #18
Xxmikeyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarties View Post
Different people cherish different things. It's freedom of choice.
Hit the nail on the head. I've have people comment on how much my Rolex cost but a couple of these have $80,000 race cars that they pump money into every year! (Probably the cost of two Rolexes). It's whatever floats your boat.
Xxmikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 08:49 PM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
A Basquiat painting that looks like a failed graffiti artist's nightmare just sold this week for $110.5 million. It's all relative.
So very true

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 08:51 PM   #20
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Well, the Bao Dai's price is pretty insane, and has more to do with a collector's caprice than quality. So, in that sense, I understand the critiques.

If this thread is about Rolex, generally, then that's a different response for me.

This
Old 20 May 2017, 08:52 PM   #21
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
King Solomon asked God for wisdom, not riches. To me, one aspect of wisdom is knowing if, how much, and when to allocate money to non-essential items like watches. To some, a $50 watch takes money that is needed for essentials like food and medicine. To some, a $50,000 watch is a casual nick out of their discretionary funds. The trick is to make decisions based, not on want, but wisdom. I briefly dated an executive in a major bank. She said, often, the guys with the flashiest cars and the super expensive watches had the smallest bank accounts.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 08:53 PM   #22
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Very easy in life to have a knee jerk reaction.
In this instance, is the watch worth 5m? Well it's worth what one's willing to pay for it. If the seller sells it in 5 years time for 3m, it will have been a bad investment. However should he sell it for 8m, then it will be deemed a good investment. None of us have crystal balls.
If he does loose money, it's very unlikely that it would impact his financial situation. If however it did impact him, then it would have been an incredibly audacious purchase.
I assume the purchase was because he could, likes exclusivity and likes the look of the watch. Forget that he could have bought property, he's taken a gamble - so good luck to him. If he adores the watch , even better.
I read in the papers today that a graffiti piece of art that sold for £14,850 in 1984, sold now for £85million. That's a half a million % increase in 33 years! So a very shroud purchase in 1984.
I've probably made my point on the wrong forum, as most here would agree with the purchase, my main point wasn't about the watch, it's about seeing a potential and having the crystal balls to go for it. The question is, how many exceedingly rich people would criticise this purchase. None! Only those who couldn't afford it would criticise.
How much was a PN Daytona in the 70's? The dealers couldn't give them away. And now....
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 09:25 PM   #23
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamP View Post
Very easy in life to have a knee jerk reaction.
In this instance, is the watch worth 5m? Well it's worth what one's willing to pay for it. If the seller sells it in 5 years time for 3m, it will have been a bad investment. However should he sell it for 8m, then it will be deemed a good investment. None of us have crystal balls.
If he does loose money, it's very unlikely that it would impact his financial situation. If however it did impact him, then it would have been an incredibly audacious purchase.
I assume the purchase was because he could, likes exclusivity and likes the look of the watch. Forget that he could have bought property, he's taken a gamble - so good luck to him. If he adores the watch , even better.
I read in the papers today that a graffiti piece of art that sold for £14,850 in 1984, sold now for £85million. That's a half a million % increase in 33 years! So a very shroud purchase in 1984.
I've probably made my point on the wrong forum, as most here would agree with the purchase, my main point wasn't about the watch, it's about seeing a potential and having the crystal balls to go for it. The question is, how many exceedingly rich people would criticise this purchase. None! Only those who couldn't afford it would criticise.
How much was a PN Daytona in the 70's? The dealers couldn't give them away. And now....

100%

Old 20 May 2017, 09:31 PM   #24
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
SamP... wise observations. I have a wealthy friend who buys exceeding expensive items I can't mention here. But, his life is in balance. He makes extremely generous charity donations, his extended family is well taken care of, he invests wisely in solid securities, and he is a great businessman. Wisdom in action.

On the other hand, I know people who make high five figure incomes and spend every cent. They have lots of nice things, but zero savings. Ignorance in action.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 10:57 PM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Yeah, I was just going to cite that, $300m is now what you will have to pay for a really sort after piece of art, remember the explosion of awe and outrage at the Sunflowers sale for £24m in the 80s, that probably would sell for half a billion today. Like most things that are highly collectable to both the old and new dynasties, these things really only do appreciate in value so are investments and not money down the drain.

Guernica and Mona Lisa must be billion dollar pieces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sive_paintings
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 10:31 AM   #26
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post

You have 5 mil to blow on a watch? What do you do for a living haha ?
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 10:40 AM   #27
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 11:26 AM   #28
BristolCavendish
Banned

This recent acquisition is no different than some guy spending $3.12 million for a T206 Honus Wagner baseball card.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 01:02 PM   #29
visualplane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I'm sure anyone of the facebook commenters would jump at a rolex if they could get one. When I posted my last rolex on a non watch forum, it created all this hate and assumptions about what kind of person I was, where they were just sounding like jerks. It was unfair.
visualplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2017, 01:08 PM   #30
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
This recent acquisition is no different than some guy spending $3.12 million for a T206 Honus Wagner baseball card.
I said I would share it with you guys.....jeez....
august1410 is offline   Reply With Quote