The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 July 2020, 10:29 PM   #1
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Branching out to Panerai....size question

Good morning. Thinking of adding a Panerai, but don’t have the opportunity to see the size differences in person.
Would love a little help & pics if anyone is willing.
Hopefully today, I’m going to pick up my new 44mm AP offshore , also have the 42 offshore and a DSSD, and those are my biggest watches.
I’m not interested in going bigger than the 44 AP.

* not really interested in the Submersibles, just the Luminors or Radiomir

As far as Luminors....

-I know they’re bigger on paper/statistic wise....but are they actually bigger on the wrist?
- Are the 44mm Luminors compatible on the wrist, size wise ...more to the DSSD or 44mm AP?

As far as Radiomirs

- the 47mm with bars (not traditional lugs) seem to be similar to the 44AP size wise, being the AP doesn’t have traditional lugs either.
- the 45mm’s with traditional lugs, seem more on par, size wise, with the DSSD?

I like both styles as far as Luminor or Radiomir, as both are very traditional Panerai, and I like the rich history behind the brand.

Thank you for the long read....and thanks for any help, insight, and comparison pics if possible.
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 10:54 PM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome in advance to the "Risti" fam

Based on your current collection I'd say you'll have no issue whatsoever going up to 47 mm if you choose to ... especially in Rads.

I owned the Dblue (may be re adding again ) and can say from my experinece my 47 pam wears about the same only I find it's more comfortable due to the cushion case shape, YMMV.

It's a large watch, but IMHO Pamerai are supposed to be, so you need to accept that or move on. What I love is that they have dial real estate, without a lot of unnecessary case features. The lines are clean and classic IMO.

Wire lug 47 Rads will wear even smaller as there's really no lug to lug issue. Mine measures about 56mm lug to lug. I've tried on a zillion Luminors but the crown guard just doesnt do it for me. I can see why others love them tho, as it's a classic feature. I wanted the original Paneria DNA so I went for the Rad and have NO regrets. I'd go so far as to say it's my favourite watch.

I think sometimes we get too hung up on measurements here FWIW. Go with what "feels" and looks right to you.

EDIT: 7” flat wrist.

Some pics ....

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 11:07 PM   #3
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks Brian! That watch is a stunner! I agree, the on paper measurements don’t mean much when it comes to watches sometimes. That’s exactly why I was asking for any pics, and on wrist visual thoughts. Thanks for the pics, and your assessment is as always.
Old 12 July 2020, 11:43 PM   #4
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

All my PAMs have been 44-47mm. I have owned every case shape. Even within cases, certain references can wear differently depending on the movement (the most modern Panerai movements are flatter and thus the cases are less bulky). These are huge generalizations, but the Submersibles at 47mm tend to wear the largest. I flipped my 1305 because of this. I also own a 372 which is a 47mm Luminor 1950 case and the Submersible was clearly larger (even with the newer movement). The Radiomirs will always wear smaller. I think a 45-47mm Radiomir is almost the same thing. They are just so flat that they will wear small in almost every circumstance (especially manual wind models). The same holds true for the Radiomir 1940 models.

Based on what you are saying, I think a 44mm Luminor 1950 model would be a good choice for you. The manual wind movements like that in the 233 or the newer automatic movements like those in the 1312 I own flatten the case somewhat and make it less bulky, but still large enough to wear like a Panerai. People tend to start at 44mm and move up to 47mm Panerai, but I found that most 47mm Panerai are just a little too big for me. I'm actually on the fence about selling my 372 because of this. It's such an iconic model, but I think I've found my sweet spot at 44mm Luminors and 45mm Radiomirs.

Anything 44mm and up will wear larger than a 44mm AP or Rolex. Except maybe a 45mm Radiomir. APs tend to look their true size whereas Rolex tends to wear smaller. I also find that IWC tends to wear smaller than its stated size. Hope some of this helps.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:44 AM   #5
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
All my PAMs have been 44-47mm. I have owned every case shape. Even within cases, certain references can wear differently depending on the movement (the most modern Panerai movements are flatter and thus the cases are less bulky). These are huge generalizations, but the Submersibles at 47mm tend to wear the largest. I flipped my 1305 because of this. I also own a 372 which is a 47mm Luminor 1950 case and the Submersible was clearly larger (even with the newer movement). The Radiomirs will always wear smaller. I think a 45-47mm Radiomir is almost the same thing. They are just so flat that they will wear small in almost every circumstance (especially manual wind models). The same holds true for the Radiomir 1940 models.

Based on what you are saying, I think a 44mm Luminor 1950 model would be a good choice for you. The manual wind movements like that in the 233 or the newer automatic movements like those in the 1312 I own flatten the case somewhat and make it less bulky, but still large enough to wear like a Panerai. People tend to start at 44mm and move up to 47mm Panerai, but I found that most 47mm Panerai are just a little too big for me. I'm actually on the fence about selling my 372 because of this. It's such an iconic model, but I think I've found my sweet spot at 44mm Luminors and 45mm Radiomirs.

Anything 44mm and up will wear larger than a 44mm AP or Rolex. Except maybe a 45mm Radiomir. APs tend to look their true size whereas Rolex tends to wear smaller. I also find that IWC tends to wear smaller than its stated size. Hope some of this helps.
Absolutely that helped!! Thank you very much!
Old 13 July 2020, 01:26 AM   #6
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
All my PAMs have been 44-47mm. I have owned every case shape. Even within cases, certain references can wear differently depending on the movement (the most modern Panerai movements are flatter and thus the cases are less bulky). These are huge generalizations, but the Submersibles at 47mm tend to wear the largest. I flipped my 1305 because of this. I also own a 372 which is a 47mm Luminor 1950 case and the Submersible was clearly larger (even with the newer movement). The Radiomirs will always wear smaller. I think a 45-47mm Radiomir is almost the same thing. They are just so flat that they will wear small in almost every circumstance (especially manual wind models). The same holds true for the Radiomir 1940 models. .
I think this is a great example of what you were saying about the 45 vs 47 Radiomirs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13 July 2020, 01:36 AM   #7
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
I think this is a great example of what you were saying about the 45 vs 47 Radiomirs

Yeah they are very similar. They even use the same strap sizes (45mm and 47mm Radiomirs). I am not sure about the Radiomir 1940s though.

If you're only going to get one Panerai, get a Luminor 1950. Just my two cents. If you like it, you'll add a Radiomir down the road.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 01:47 AM   #8
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
The AP and Panerai wear about the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190528_094623_copy_768x1024.jpg (162.5 KB, 505 views)
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 01:52 AM   #9
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
Thank you. That’s the 44mm Pam?
Old 13 July 2020, 02:20 AM   #10
mikkoi
"TRF" Member

Hello Richard,

Just couple quick photos for you. I have 7 inc. flat wrist.

First Pam Luminor 176 44mm, second Radiomir 232 47mm and third Submersible 305 47mm.

44mm Luminor is easy to wear and light cause Titanium. 47mm Radiomir wears much smaller cause wire lugs and sits low also. 47mm Submersible is beast, but also made Titanium and very light for size and sits very well also. Love all of them!

Feel free to ask more questions if you want and enjoy your trip to Risti world

mikkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 02:31 AM   #11
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Don’t fear the size. I used to think 40mm was my cap. Because that’s how we’re trained in group thinking. When I started exploring larger sizes 42mm and above, I ended up in the larger group and 47mm is my max now. And I leaned this through my own exploration and some of it was just taking a risk. Today, I couldn’t even consider wearing a 40mm. When you really look at 40mm in wrist shots you’ll see it’s really on the small side. It bears little masculinity and can almost seem only appropriate for dress. IMHO, if you’re in the sports watch category, larger and more defined watches are frankly more enjoyable. Nonetheless, if AP 44mm is your max, Panerai 47mm will wear amazingly well! And 44mm/45mm will too. I’d stay clear of 42mm... IMO Panerai should have never offered that size to simply fill the fear gap of 40mm wearers.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 02:58 AM   #12
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkoi View Post
Hello Richard,

Just couple quick photos for you. I have 7 inc. flat wrist.

First Pam Luminor 176 44mm, second Radiomir 232 47mm and third Submersible 305 47mm.

44mm Luminor is easy to wear and light cause Titanium. 47mm Radiomir wears much smaller cause wire lugs and sits low also. 47mm Submersible is beast, but also made Titanium and very light for size and sits very well also. Love all of them!

Feel free to ask more questions if you want and enjoy your trip to Risti world

So very helpful, thank you!
Old 13 July 2020, 03:00 AM   #13
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Don’t fear the size. I used to think 40mm was my cap. Because that’s how we’re trained in group thinking. When I started exploring larger sizes 42mm and above, I ended up in the larger group and 47mm is my max now. And I leaned this through my own exploration and some of it was just taking a risk. Today, I couldn’t even consider wearing a 40mm. When you really look at 40mm in wrist shots you’ll see it’s really on the small side. It bears little masculinity and can almost seem only appropriate for dress. IMHO, if you’re in the sports watch category, larger and more defined watches are frankly more enjoyable. Nonetheless, if AP 44mm is your max, Panerai 47mm will wear amazingly well! And 44mm/45mm will too. I’d stay clear of 42mm... IMO Panerai should have never offered that size to simply fill the fear gap of 40mm wearers.
Really appreciate it Laszlo! Thank you for your help
Old 13 July 2020, 03:23 AM   #14
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Really appreciate it Laszlo! Thank you for your help

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 08:54 AM   #15
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Within the “Luminor” range, there are 2 distinct case shapes (1950 vs Bettarini), and within the 1950 range, the 372/422 is a bit different from the others.

As for Radiomirs, there are Radiomirs (wire lugs) and 1940 Radiomir (Luminor lugs).

So, it gets complicated, and trying on various models at an AD/boutique is the best way by far.

Then you need to decide if you want a “base” model (2 hands), a 3-hand model or more complicated.

Sandwich or sausage dial?

Which material? SS? Ti? More advanced materials?

Manual? Automatic?

Lots to think about beyond the diameter. ;-)
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:18 AM   #16
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Within the “Luminor” range, there are 2 distinct case shapes (1950 vs Bettarini), and within the 1950 range, the 372/422 is a bit different from the others.

As for Radiomirs, there are Radiomirs (wire lugs) and 1940 Radiomir (Luminor lugs).

So, it gets complicated, and trying on various models at an AD/boutique is the best way by far.

Then you need to decide if you want a “base” model (2 hands), a 3-hand model or more complicated.

Sandwich or sausage dial?

Which material? SS? Ti? More advanced materials?

Manual? Automatic?

Lots to think about beyond the diameter. ;-)
Very much to think about for sure. Thank you
Old 13 July 2020, 01:19 PM   #17
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover

I have a six and a half inch wrist. And the 1312 is the perfect sized PAM for me. As with most others, I used to think that 40mm was my max till PAM announces the newer in house movement with “smaller” cases. Then I tried this on and fell in love with it.

So if a 44mm 1950 luminor case can fit my six and a half inch, I think that anyone that can carry a regular six digit Rolex will find it a good fit.

dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 03:00 PM   #18
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
233 is classic Panerai.

390 is very unique and somewhat rare. Will be special someday in the future IMHO.

372 will be part of Panerai history forever.

Unlike most Rolex models these can all be found preowned for a reasonable price.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:54 PM   #19
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I'd say you'll have no issue whatsoever going up to 47 mm if you choose to ... especially in Rads.

Wire lug 47 Rads will wear even smaller as there's really no lug to lug.

This
Old 15 July 2020, 12:36 PM   #20
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Hi Richard. I don’t have any photos sorry, but I was curious about buying Panerai a few weeks ago and tried on 44mm and 47mm Luminors at an AD. I have a pretty flat 7” wrist, and wear both a 34mm Air-King, and a 42mm Speedmaster Pro, so I wasn’t sure I’d like the Panerais on me. What I found was that the 44mm looked great, but the 47mm looked even greater. I never expected the 47mm to even fit me, but the difference is more in diametre, not lug-to-lug. If I buy a PAM, it will be a 47mm one. It looks magnificent. Big, but for me, much more wearable than say a modern Sub or Milgauss, as beautiful as they are.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 01:20 PM   #21
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
I have a 6 1/2 inch wrist and went with a 42mm 1392. I prob could have gone with the 44mm but it wasn’t the look I was trying to achieve. I love the panerai’s clean sandwich dial and that’s the reason I wanted one in my collection. The 42mm fit the bill perfectly for me without taking up half my forearm lol. I think it’s all about personal preference along with the look you are trying to achieve.

126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 09:35 PM   #22
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

First off, I’m sorry I can’t add any pictures at the moment.

I also have a DSSD, some 42 ROO and a 44 ROO. I’ve got a 7.25” wrist.

I’d say a 44 Luminor wears very similar to a 42 ROO. The 44 ROO is obviously even bigger, and more on par with a 47 submersible. So if you can rock one of those, then I don’t think you’ll have any issues with just about anything in the Panerai line up.

IMHO the 45 Radiomir is the perfect fit for me. I wish I had more of them!
Kilometerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 12:40 AM   #23
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilometerman View Post
First off, I’m sorry I can’t add any pictures at the moment.

I also have a DSSD, some 42 ROO and a 44 ROO. I’ve got a 7.25” wrist.

I’d say a 44 Luminor wears very similar to a 42 ROO. The 44 ROO is obviously even bigger, and more on par with a 47 submersible. So if you can rock one of those, then I don’t think you’ll have any issues with just about anything in the Panerai line up.

IMHO the 45 Radiomir is the perfect fit for me. I wish I had more of them!
Thank you. I was looking at the pic from Yachty1...seems the 1950 case, 44mm Pam is fairly equal, size wise, to the 44 ROO. At least that’s what the pic would indicate. You thinking it’s closer to a 42 ROO?
Old 19 July 2020, 12:41 AM   #24
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. I was looking at the pic from Yachty1...seems the 1950 case, 44mm Pam is fairly equal, size wise, to the 44 ROO. At least that’s what the pic would indicate. You thinking it’s closer to a 42 ROO?
They’re close, we’re talking about just a couple of mm here. But, in terms of feel, and across all three dimensions, I don’t think a 44mm Pam feels “big” to me. Same with a 42mm ROO. However, I put a 47mm Pam and a 44 ROO in the “big” category. Certainly not too big to wear, but just with more presence.

I should probably point out that straps/bracelets also matter. A 42 ROO on a rubber strap feels a little smaller to me. Maybe it’s just the weight difference? I’d but the DSSD in the same “big” category, but strangely, when I take the bracelet off, and put on a RubberB strap, it doesn’t feel big at all.
Kilometerman is offline   Reply With Quote