The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2020, 10:09 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I think Rolex jumped the shark

I’ve made some great friends here. I speak to many almost daily.

I say this to empathize that I’m not looking to ruffle any feathers. Just a comment on a watch forum.

For years, I’ve been back and forth with my a love/hate relationship with the brand.

Love the watches. Great style, robust, fun to wear, great lume and the bracelets and clasps are awesome. Albeit, I’m gravitating to the older models. I do find a lot of the more recent models a bit clunky. Not all. But some for sure.

That all said, they treat their AD’s poorly and their clientele worse. You can say that they are building the brand, making it more exclusive. But considering how many watches they actually make, that’s not a very good argument.

It’s gotten to the point where everyone wants one. It’s the symbol for success. But I think Rolex is a victim of their own success.

Comments like “I wear a 40k$ Rolex” which just happened in the news seem right about the attitude of many wearers of the brand these days. Like they are special or something.

All the while, the brand couldn’t care less. You can’t even get most of their watches. They are literally laughing at the enthusiastic buyer that can’t get the watch they want so they whine and complain. At least I picture them laughing.

Recently an article came out praising Rolex for giving us an early Xmas present by showing the world their latest designs. The watches that won’t be out for months and will only go to the very very few anyway. Unless you are willing to pay market value, which I am. Just not for Rolex. At least not today I’m not.

Yet, tons of people will freak out when they graciously submit a couple of tweaks to a line that’s become long in the tooth. New bezels, new metal configs etc. With all their power, the still are doing nearly nothing new. But people will freak out anyway. Get on lists, and hope and pray they can spend all this money.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I don’t fault Rolex. They are brilliant. And they have successfully kept their mojo for decades. Not easy. Wish I could do that. So impressive.

I just think, for me, I barely even want to wear one anymore. I don’t want to be seen with one on. I never understood why I used to read about real watch enthusiasts that hate Rolex. I think I’m starting to get it. Keeping a few favorites, moving the rest. I expect I’ll come back like I always do.

But so many cool brands out there. So many cool watches. And so many tool bags that think their 10k$ watch is a tool watch and they wear them only for themselves and dont care what anyone else thinks. And watch gods forbid their tool watch that only for them gets a scratch.

Can’t get em. Treats their dealers badly. Minimal creativity and imagination. Disdains their clientele. Deigns to grace us with pics of the watches you can’t get. This enormous crowd that thinks they are special because they wear a Rolex.

Like I say, to me, Rolex has jumped the shark.

Tudor = cool.
Breitling = cool.
Omega = cool.
VC = super cool
I’m even thinking hublots are cool lately.

When I see a Rolex on someone now, I wonder if they like watches, or if they just want the brand. When I see something else on someone, I start to think they might be actually cool watch person.

Flame suit on. I’m prepared. But would love to discuss thoughts with anyone that actually doesn’t feel hurt by this and wants to talk watches.

This place might be called Rolex Forums, but it’s a great place for some really cool watches besides Rolex too.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:13 AM   #2
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I had many other brands, only felt right when I had a Rolex on. Just felt more solid, special. Sold them all never looking back!
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:15 AM   #3
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Always love some well thought out criticism. Thanks for this. I’ll chew on it and jump back in later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:16 AM   #4
MacanS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, Z blue
Ugh this again
MacanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:19 AM   #5
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Albeit, I’m gravitating to the older models. I do find a lot of the more recent models a bit clunky. Not all. But some for sure.
I also prefer the older models like a five digit Sub and a 36mm DJ as I did when I bought my first Rolex 25 years ago.

Watches are all about "look at me" now and are no longer tools to tell time.
Attached Images
File Type: png untitled2.png (278.4 KB, 3141 views)
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:27 AM   #6
martinr
"TRF" Member

It’s not the watch that’s the problem it’s all the crap that goes along with getting one. Building a relationship, bundling, AD ass kissing, wait lists, stickers must be removed by AD, and on and on. I like my Rolex but I won’t play these games to get another one and I won’t pay some grey dealer over msrp for instant gratification.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:28 AM   #7
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Fantastic post and yeah I heard that lady on the news too. Sad state of affairs when people categorize themselves by the watch they wear. I agree this has become far too common in the world lately where people feel defined by their possessions especially Rolex since it is THE watch.

The treatment of Rolex with their AD’s and clientele is sickening. It’s like every watch has become the Daytona of old (which was cool that a model had such mystique). However not ALL the watches can have the same mystique or it kinda kills it.

At this point in my life after wearing a Rolex for 23 years since I was 15 it’s not the same feeling nor the same brand that was for men of action. It has become jewelry that many use to portray a certain status.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:28 AM   #8
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I sadly admit that there is much truth in this post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:28 AM   #9
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Interesting post.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:29 AM   #10
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
To each their own. Certainly understand the sentiment. Enjoying the few I have from Wilsdorf, but would certainly consider other brands, especially in the environment Rolex has chosen to create.
Old 13 July 2020, 10:37 AM   #11
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
I think Rolex jumped the shark

Quote:

I say this to empathize that I’m not looking to ruffle any feathers. Just a comment on a watch forum.

For years, I’ve been back and forth with my a love/hate relationship with the brand.

Love the watches. Great style, robust, fun to wear, great lume and the bracelets and clasps are awesome. Albeit, I’m gravitating to the older models. I do find a lot of the more recent models a bit clunky. Not all. But some for sure.

That all said, they treat their AD’s poorly and their clientele worse. You can say that they are building the brand, making it more exclusive. But considering how many watches they actually make, that’s not a very good argument.

It’s gotten to the point where everyone wants one. It’s the symbol for success. But I think Rolex is a victim of their own success.

Comments like “I wear a 40k$ Rolex” which just happened in the news seem right about the attitude of many wearers of the brand these days. Like they are special or something.

All the while, the brand couldn’t care less. You can’t even get most of their watches. They are literally laughing at the enthusiastic buyer that can’t get the watch they want so they whine and complain. At least I picture them laughing.

Recently an article came out praising Rolex for giving us an early Xmas present by showing the world their latest designs. The watches that won’t be out for months and will only go to the very very few anyway. Unless you are willing to pay market value, which I am. Just not for Rolex. At least not today I’m not.

Yet, tons of people will freak out when they graciously submit a couple of tweaks to a line that’s become long in the tooth. New bezels, new metal configs etc. With all their power, the still are doing nearly nothing new. But people will freak out anyway. Get on lists, and hope and pray they can spend all this money.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I don’t fault Rolex. They are brilliant. And they have successfully kept their mojo for decades. Not easy. Wish I could do that. So impressive.

I just think, for me, I barely even want to wear one anymore. I don’t want to be seen with one on. I never understood why I used to read about real watch enthusiasts that hate Rolex. I think I’m starting to get it. Keeping a few favorites, moving the rest. I expect I’ll come back like I always do.

But so many cool brands out there. So many cool watches. And so many tool bags that think their 10k$ watch is a tool watch and they wear them only for themselves and dont care what anyone else thinks. And watch gods forbid their tool watch that only for them gets a scratch.

Can’t get em. Treats their dealers badly. Minimal creativity and imagination. Disdains their clientele. Deigns to grace us with pics of the watches you can’t get. This enormous crowd that thinks they are special because they wear a Rolex.

Tudor = cool.
Breitling = cool.
Omega = cool.
VC = super cool

When I see a Rolex on someone now, I wonder if they like watches, or if they just want the brand. When I see something else on someone, I start to think they might be actually cool watch person.

Flame suit on. I’m prepared. But would love to discuss thoughts with anyone that actually doesn’t feel hurt by this and wants to talk watches.

This place might be called Rolex Forums, but it’s a great place for some really cool watches besides Rolex too.

Jumping the Shark means that the brand is starting to fall. I don’t think that is at all the case ... Rolex seems stronger than ever.

Reminds me of the Great Recession of 2008 when so many said the US Dollar will topple. What happened? In uncertain times every person and country invests in what they think is safe ... gold and the US Dollar. So out of the Great Recession the dollar grew stronger vs other currencies.

Likewise, during this pandemic/economic uncertainty everyone flocks to ... Rolex. I actually see the brand getting stronger, not weaker. Why? People trust Rolex. They may hate Rolex, like so many world citizens and countries hate the US Dollar, but that’s where they feel their investment is safe.

I don’t think Rolex has “jumped the shark.” You may have grown frustrated/angry towards the brand ... but Rolex is where everyone else is going to (with or without you) as the “safest” watch buy by during uncertain times.

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:38 AM   #12
heljestrand
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I had many other brands, only felt right when I had a Rolex on. Just felt more solid, special. Sold them all never looking back!
My exact feelings. Sold 5 Grand Seiko and stepped into Rolex. Very pleased and never turning to another brand save Patek which I’d enjoy as the only logical step up. Likely I will simply remain with my original Rolex purchase.
heljestrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:39 AM   #13
Napoleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO / Sub / Polar
“Get off my lawn!” ... agree with you about the dbags but you’re going to find those anywhere and I’d say they are definitely the minority in this forum and other Rolex groups I participate in.

All in all a good bunch I say, but just my opinion.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:41 AM   #14
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Very well said, and all very true. I'm going to collect just a couple of my favourite models and most likely move onto other brands. The games are just too much.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:41 AM   #15
downtorock
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post

This.

downtorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:41 AM   #16
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

This is a well thought out post and I agree with some parts. To me, at the end of the day, they are ALL just watches and like all other worldly possessions/hobbies/fun stuff, none of it matters that deeply.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:44 AM   #17
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

I appreciate this post and glad you've made some great friends here. I didn't know Rolex treat their AD's poorly. I've seen more of the AD's treating customers poorly that they want brown nosers sniffing close to their crack and maybe they'll give 'em a bone here and there.

It is sad that Rolex has become, to the layman, this status of "f*** you, I made it" culture. The layman who gets a break will buy a gold rolex or something flashy to flex on people. On the other hand, there are WIS like us who actually love a fine timepiece. Then there is a mix of both, especially in these forums lol.

I hate the hype that surrounds any "hot pieces" by Rolex. Some of them aren't even nice imo. It's unfortunate it like this now. Hopefully you get enjoyment out of the crown in the future. Maybe take a break from this notorious brand and this forum as well?
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:44 AM   #18
eddie_b
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
There is a lot of truth in your post. The truth is a lot of enthusiasts, and by that I mean true watch enthusiasts, are gravitating towards other brands who aren't playing games and you can still get a small discount.

A lot of people want Rolex now because of the name (more so than ever) since they're so hard to get unless you have a relationship. Similar to what Ferrari has been doing for awhile.
eddie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:44 AM   #19
wb55
"TRF" Member

I know what you mean OP. I currently have 3 Rolex stainless steel sports models, all relatively hard to get and I'm on the list for a 4th. I've owned maybe another 5 beforehand - all 6 digit except one 5 digit. There's only so long you can keep getting slapped in the face and for me I'm starting to look again at other brands. The VC Overseas 4500v is very interesting as is the new ceramic SMP 300. If it forces us to broaden our horizons and try different things perhaps that's a good thing in the end but wow it's annoying.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:47 AM   #20
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
As a social signalling asset, they’re great.

Because anyone can acquire a Rolex today and feel like a tripod.

And that’s why they’re popular. It’s that simple.

If you want to have a long journey as a fan of horology, buy one. It’s a must. Then buy many other brands. I have and it’s been amazing to step away from a Rolex only mindset.

Because Rolex is not that special any more, and there’s only so much Rolex ether one can breath in and not feel like a totally used napkin.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:48 AM   #21
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
I feel I understand the OP statement, You can't just be a retail client or buy and sell on the secondary market to save a few bucks if you want to buy and sell Rolex. If you want Rolex even 5 digit prices are high. Unfortunately the Swiss watch major brands have all increased prices. It's a personal decision you can buy whatever brand of watch you are interested in. I have a couple of Omega pieces, but I would only buy those preowned unless they were a special limited edition, but I am not that interested to look for those as a collector or investor. I do like Omega because service is available not cheap but price is not extrordinary either.
Old 13 July 2020, 10:54 AM   #22
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
Not sure I follow your premise that Rolex jumped the shark. Jumping the shark is defined as a point where a brand starts to fail. I don't see that point referenced anywhere in your post. Is it the woman knocking off face masks at Target? Don't blame Rolex for that. Not a big deal, anyway, IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: png jumpsharkgraph.png (10.7 KB, 2850 views)
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:56 AM   #23
JRell
"TRF" Member

My problem with other brands is the depreciation. I buy watches, get bored and like to trade in. I got hammered with my Omega, JLC and breitling. The only other 2 that catches my eye are the breitling navitimer and Patek Philippe. I just know I will always go back to Rolex and I know that there is great value behind them as they are in strong demand.
Old 13 July 2020, 10:58 AM   #24
MagPI
"TRF" Member

I agree that the brand’s golden years are behind it. That’s why my two are from 2005 and 2007. For me, the six-digit sports models marked the beginning of the end of Rolex as a “cool” watch brand.
MagPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:02 AM   #25
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagPI View Post
I agree that the brand’s golden years are behind it. That’s why my two are from 2005 and 2007. For me, the six-digit sports models marked the beginning of the end of Rolex as a “cool” watch brand.
Funny - the later years of Rolex is what brought me over to the dark side!
Old 13 July 2020, 11:07 AM   #26
mitchellp
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:

Tudor = cool.
Breitling = cool.
Omega = cool.
VC = super cool

Really appreciate your perspective.

I’m rather new to mid-to-high-end watches, but have managed to acquire a handful of Rolex watches. After a few came and went, I eventually obtained my grail 126710 BLRO. I was fortunate to get it from an AD without playing “games,” and I’ll tell you, I absolutely love everything about the physical watch itself. The colors, rehaut, jubilee, black dial, ceramic bezel, everything is perfect to me. However, I’ve found myself distancing from the watch.

The cache that comes with owning a Rolex really perturbs me. Rolex has most certainly evolved into a luxury, lifestyle brand. The name is synonymous with having money, especially to those illiterate to watches and watch collecting (which is 99% of the developed world). To me, the stigma that comes with owning a Rolex can be too much in certain situations.

My 126710 is my watch for life, and is absolutely perfect in my eyes. The downside, however, is that it carries the Rolex cache along with it.
mitchellp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:08 AM   #27
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
It’s not the watch that’s the problem it’s all the crap that goes along with getting one. Building a relationship, bundling, AD ass kissing, wait lists, stickers must be removed by AD, and on and on. I like my Rolex but I won’t play these games to get another one and I won’t pay some grey dealer over msrp for instant gratification.
Amen. I also refuse to play any of the above games.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:13 AM   #28
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:

Tudor = cool.
Breitling = cool.
Omega = cool.
VC = super cool

One thing you are very wrong about and I will calm you out on, is saying that Rolex has great lume

Seiko has better lume Haha

Other than that, what you say is true

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:15 AM   #29
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
I know what you mean. Seiko is way more fun for me now. They are constantly releasing great watches, that are reasonably priced, available, and none of the attitude. It’s actually a great time to be into other manufacturers. I remember when Panarai was over-hyped but now they are easy to get.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:19 AM   #30
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Tudor = cool.
Breitling = cool.
Omega = cool.
VC = super cool

I feel this way about most things. The "rich kids" growing up had the newest toys and just beat them up, with no regard for the design and details that were put into them.

I doubt most people really care to learn about references and details on how it came to be, it is mostly just flashy, so they can put it on their instagram to put on a show. But, we all know they still have six figures in student loans.
jakemiller69 is offline   Reply With Quote