The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2020, 12:58 AM   #1
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
5164r

Well I have been searching for a 5164R to no avail. I have found a few at crazy prices and even when trying to buy on Chrono , had a seller jump his price 4000 right in the middle of my trying to complete purchase. About ready to give up for a while - sorry just venting! Has anyone heard from their AD when these might be in production again? I am thinking maybe in a few months the prices might come down. Thoughts ?
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 02:49 AM   #2
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
My AD here in the DFW area received 1 last month. It wasn't out on the floor, but kept in the vault and sold a few weeks later.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 03:32 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
That watch was under appreciated for too long. I was honestly going to buy one to sit on for spec last year but decided that was silly. No it wasn’t lol
Old 13 July 2020, 04:48 AM   #4
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

I can’t believe seller tried to jump price in middle of transaction. Honestly, I’m kinda of scared to buy from Chrono24 cause they don’t own the inventory. I like Watchbox.
Old 13 July 2020, 05:26 AM   #5
EmilA
"TRF" Member

Been told it’s as tough to get as a 5167A in the U.K. - Even with the retail price for it
EmilA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 08:59 AM   #6
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Very beautiful piece, not very hard to get
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:07 AM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
I can’t believe seller tried to jump price in middle of transaction. Honestly, I’m kinda of scared to buy from Chrono24 cause they don’t own the inventory. I like Watchbox.

Two very different services but yeah you’re spot on. Chrono24 is like eBay and WatchBox is an arm of govberg jewelers that deals in secondary watches. Def good to go with WatchBox but need to do your due diligence on chrono24 even with their escrow.
Old 13 July 2020, 11:26 AM   #8
okie4455
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Casio
have you been in contact with an AD or just looking at secondary and grey? I know that production resumed last month. I got one this spring just before covid and my AD told me that it will likely be the only one he gets this year but there is a chance he could get 1 more towards end of the year.
okie4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:49 AM   #9
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Hi James , not sure why you say they aren’t hard to find - sure hasn’t been my experience. Maybe it’s different across the pond ? There are a few at greys with huge premiums over list . Have you seen any at Ad’s over there ? The ADS I have talked to here don’t even want to put me on their “ list” even though I am not a flipper and purchased a 5990 and a 5711 R last year from my Ad who now had the door closed on him bc PP is reducing their number of AD’s in US . Very sad, not to mention Covid problems but it all will pass , me hopes soon. Thanks for your input.
Old 13 July 2020, 11:54 AM   #10
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Hi James , not sure why you say they aren’t hard to find - sure hasn’t been my experience. Maybe it’s different across the pond ? There are a few at greys with huge premiums over list . Have you seen any at Ad’s over there ? The ADS I have talked to here don’t even want to put me on their “ list” even though I am not a flipper and purchased a 5990 and a 5711 R last year from my Ad who now had the door closed on him bc PP is reducing their number of AD’s in US . Very sad, not to mention Covid problems but it all will pass , me hopes soon. Thanks for your input.
Hi James, in my experience it is not very hard to find if you find the right AD. It is a beautiful watch but not the most sought after. ADs are getting those and they don't fly out like your 5990. Some ADs are playing games to sell other models. Keep trying, there are plenty of good ADs and hopefully you will find an AD who you can work with
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:01 PM   #11
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Yep Mr Okie , I have called no small number of Ad’s hoping to create a permanent relationship- even after explaining my loyalty to my previous AD who had the door closed on him in Jan - how I have eight PP and my wife has 2 - that I am not a flipper and have sold none with my name on COO nor do I intend to, they can’t or won’t help . I understand too that inventory is short but I am willing to wait for it if I could get one w my name on it . Sooo I am left to sort through greys . Of course I expect to pay a premium price . Maybe waiting for market to get better for buyers is in order. Thanks for input .
Old 13 July 2020, 12:40 PM   #12
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep Mr Okie , I have called no small number of Ad’s hoping to create a permanent relationship- even after explaining my loyalty to my previous AD who had the door closed on him in Jan - how I have eight PP and my wife has 2 - that I am not a flipper and have sold none with my name on COO nor do I intend to, they can’t or won’t help . I understand too that inventory is short but I am willing to wait for it if I could get one w my name on it . Sooo I am left to sort through greys . Of course I expect to pay a premium price . Maybe waiting for market to get better for buyers is in order. Thanks for input .
I understand your frustration but I don’t think pay grey premium is end of world if you truly want/like the watch. After your reading your posts, it sounds like you do. To put things into perspective, possibly in a few months I’m considering at 5167a. No AD relationship and I’m considering paying the huge premium for it cause I absolutely love the timepiece. Good luck in your search and let us know what happens.
Old 13 July 2020, 01:16 PM   #13
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Thanks Mr Miami, You are exactly right . Appreciate your encouragement. :-))
Old 13 July 2020, 01:18 PM   #14
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
my ad had one in the case about 9 months, sadly I hesitated and did not pull the trigger.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 02:12 PM   #15
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Ohhh no , they weren’t very hot until recently. Funny how you just never know. :-)
Old 13 July 2020, 02:52 PM   #16
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ohhh no , they weren’t very hot until recently. Funny how you just never know. :-)
Premiums don’t seem bad on secondary, at least 4 weeks ago. Saw one go out for 59k usd which did not seem unreasonable.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 05:16 PM   #17
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Thanks Mr Miami, You are exactly right . Appreciate your encouragement. :-))
James, I wish you good luck in your pursuit of the 5164R. I will be happy when u get it.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:55 PM   #18
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Thanks Michael . Mr Macrow , you are right . 4 weeks ago 59 was a fair price but the asking prices on this piece are now much more. :-( But I will wait for the right opportunity to come along . Thanks
Old 13 July 2020, 10:34 PM   #19
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Beautiful sports watch. Good luck in the hunt!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:04 AM   #20
okie4455
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Casio
part of the enjoyment is the thrill of the hunt, when you do get it it will be all that much sweeter! If these pieces were easy to get nobody would want them. Good luck to you
okie4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 01:11 AM   #21
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

James, I suspect you will be able to find one on the secondary market at a reasonable price or an AD who will get one for you. I do not believe these are anywhere near as in demand as other Aquas.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 08:17 AM   #22
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
James, I suspect you will be able to find one on the secondary market at a reasonable price or an AD who will get one for you. I do not believe these are anywhere near as in demand as other Aquas.
What about the 3 hander, have you had any luck there
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 08:54 AM   #23
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Premiums don’t seem bad on secondary, at least 4 weeks ago. Saw one go out for 59k usd which did not seem unreasonable.
maybe I dont remeber correctly but were premiums always so low? around 60k is the same price I'd pay at AD with tax, assuming greys dont charge for sales tax, which Im frankly not sure about.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 11:06 AM   #24
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Maybe Patek know and blacklist you because you flip the 5167R.....

Now you not getting anymore Aquanaut from the AD.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2020, 01:27 AM   #25
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Well I have been searching for a 5164R to no avail. I have found a few at crazy prices and even when trying to buy on Chrono , had a seller jump his price 4000 right in the middle of my trying to complete purchase. About ready to give up for a while - sorry just venting! Has anyone heard from their AD when these might be in production again? I am thinking maybe in a few months the prices might come down. Thoughts ?
Full set from 2020. Perhaps a little more than MSRP+tax.

https://ponti-collection.ch/en/watch...-full-set-2020

I'm not affiliated with Ponti, just visit their website daily
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 11:03 PM   #26
archer1021
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
I really like that watch, it’s currently my next one I am waiting on. Hoping to have one in the next couple months.

It’s a beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
archer1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 03:47 AM   #27
dbehsknowme
"TRF" Member

Hi James, the 5164R was my first PP purchase through my local AD. With no previous purchase history I was extremely lucky to be allocated but I have also heard that it is one of the more relatively "easier" sports models to attain. However, like all Patek sports models it is still very difficult. I think you mentioned you don't mind waiting, in that case I would try to build a new relationship with one of the ADs closeby. I'm not sure if you're thinking new or used on the secondary but from what I know the premium in terms of % shouldn't be too high from the MSRP as PM are quite expensive already. If you do go grey I hope you can connect with a seller directly for a better price. Best of luck and happy journey, it'll be worth it.
dbehsknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 08:51 PM   #28
DK7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbehsknowme View Post
Hi James, the 5164R was my first PP purchase through my local AD. With no previous purchase history I was extremely lucky to be allocated but I have also heard that it is one of the more relatively "easier" sports models to attain. However, like all Patek sports models it is still very difficult. I think you mentioned you don't mind waiting, in that case I would try to build a new relationship with one of the ADs closeby. I'm not sure if you're thinking new or used on the secondary but from what I know the premium in terms of % shouldn't be too high from the MSRP as PM are quite expensive already. If you do go grey I hope you can connect with a seller directly for a better price. Best of luck and happy journey, it'll be worth it.
still 2 years later same?
Now 5164R at 190k$ and 5164A at 130k$.
DK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 10:22 PM   #29
Amateur
Banned

Dump one of your 8 Pateks to fund the grey purchase - easy.
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2022, 10:35 PM   #30
DK7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur View Post
Dump one of your 8 Pateks to fund the grey purchase - easy.
??
DK7 is offline   Reply With Quote