The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 November 2014, 05:29 PM   #1
jollerbarn

Watch: out for scammers!
Annoying Rolex AD, 6251H/55 and springbars

Hi,

I'm faily positive that the 6251H bracelet with 55 endlinks is a "proper" jubilee for early 70's matte dial GMT's. The other day I went to my local AD to get some new spring bars for it and while I was there the guy at the counter announced that someone had really put a number on me. "This jubilee bracelet never came out for the GMT". He went on to explain that the bracelet would only work for the day dates since it wouldn't take the standard 2mm springbars, which "are the only springbars ever to go in a 1675". I felt like arguing and screaming at the guy, but it wasn't one of those days :-)

With my head bowed in shame I went back home and everywhere I looked it was confirmed that this bracelet/endlink combo is correct for the watch. I'm now in pursuit of the correct springbars which as far as I can deduce are the slightly offset 1.5mm bars that are wider on one end than the other. The picture below shows the spring bar I'm talking about (watch isn't mine, picture found on the interweb).

DSC00275.jpg
jollerbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2014, 05:39 PM   #2
MonBK
Banned

A DD with a jubilee is a very rare watch.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2014, 06:12 PM   #3
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
A DD with a jubilee is a very rare watch.
Especially a stainless one.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2014, 07:00 PM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=jollerbarn;5416885]Hi,

I'm faily positive that the 6251H bracelet with 55 endlinks is a "proper" jubilee for early 70's matte dial GMT's. The other day I went to my local AD to get some new spring bars for it and while I was there the guy at the counter announced that someone had really put a number on me. "This jubilee bracelet never came out for the GMT". He went on to explain that the bracelet would only work for the day dates since it wouldn't take the standard 2mm springbars, which "are the only springbars ever to go in a 1675". I felt like arguing and screaming at the guy, but it wasn't one of those days :-)

With my head bowed in shame I went back home and everywhere I looked it was confirmed that this bracelet/endlink combo is correct for the watch. I'm now in pursuit of the correct springbars which as far as I can deduce are the slightly offset 1.5mm bars that are wider on one end than the other. The picture below shows the spring bar I'm talking about (watch isn't mine, picture found on the interweb).

Tell another ad you need this part number. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416560402.045063.jpg
Old 22 November 2014, 01:26 AM   #5
jollerbarn

Watch: out for scammers!
[QUOTE=crowncollection;5416939]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollerbarn View Post
Hi,

Tell another ad you need this part number. Attachment 557454
Which part number are you referring to exactly?
jollerbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
He probably meant datejust and not day date.

This is in fact at least a problem for the 7836 bracelets as far as i know. I have a 7836 bracelet that takes 2mm springbars. You can not use it on a DJ since the 1.6mm springbar for the DJ will sit loose in the endlink.

You have the opposite problem, you want a 1.6mm springbar for your bracelet with thick ends for the GMT case. So is might actually be that you have a DJ jubilee but need a GMT jubilee. The clasp is of course the same, but the last link or endlink is different.

Now, if I'm wrong, there should exist some sort of springbar with 2mm body and the narrow springy ends that is needed to fit into a DJ case. Please let me know in that case, I want a pair!
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2014, 06:08 AM   #7
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Just get 550's. I don't think they offer 2 digit links anymore but I could be wrong. The 550 is for the 16750 (case same). This accommodates the big spring bars. The 555 is same but for datejust with small bars.

Actually the best way to do it...and really ad's will have to provide anyway at this point I'm fairly sure....take your watch in...give the model 1675 and serial...they will call Rolex and order the appropriate ends for your watch model/serial/and bracelet. Voile'. I just did this for my 16750...worked flawlessly.

For as much trouble as Rolex goes toward...dealer education at least in this country is a bit skewed. Basically they only educate on current issue watches and this leads to a lot of worry and confusion...you have AD's telling their customers who bought their watches new at other AD's in the 70's and 80's with diamond bezels that don't have 4 prong settings that they are aftermarket and can't be serviced by Rolex when actually they are just an earlier vintage of bezel.

They think they have been ripped off....and go nuts...only to find that the bezel is indeed correct for their year and model.

With the new system...no one can order anything external parts without model and serial so it just simplifies.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2014, 08:06 AM   #8
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=jollerbarn;5417516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
Which part number are you referring to exactly?

Look up you case 1675 r20 states springbar part number.