The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 3 July 2017, 10:36 PM   #1
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Fake Daytona on eBay

Love the Arabic dial on a SS Daytona:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-REHAUT.../332286316568?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 11:24 PM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Ill wait for other opinions because im not sure you are correct. The seller has impeccable feedback and only sells Rolex. Well over 1300 Rolex Sales on eBay with 100% positive feedback.
Old 3 July 2017, 11:43 PM   #3
slickrick68
"TRF" Member

Watch: anything shiny
watch is real dial is not original to watch.
slickrick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 12:03 AM   #4
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

If dial does not belong, it's a fake
Seller saying all original
Old 4 July 2017, 12:11 AM   #5
cwieb
"TRF" Member

The dial is a factory original- this specific one comes in white gold models. They have placed it in this stainless model. The dial is not original to the watch, but it is authentic Rolex.
cwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 12:32 AM   #6
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Owner of watch will not be able to get service from the RSC due to the configuration of the watch. Don't we call that a "Frankenwatch"?
Given that the dial does not belong, impossible to tell if it is real or aftermarket from pictures.
Old 4 July 2017, 01:29 AM   #7
sacsha00786
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Dial and watch are genuine, though not series correct.

Omega Planet Ocean Blue Ti/Planet Ocean SS Chrono Black/Orange
JLC Master Control World Geographic
sacsha00786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 02:44 AM   #8
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Owner of watch will not be able to get service from the RSC due to the configuration of the watch. Don't we call that a "Frankenwatch"?
Given that the dial does not belong, impossible to tell if it is real or aftermarket from pictures.
If genuine parts, Rolex will service but will force the owner to swap out the dial to a correct one for the reference.

Definitely will be a surprise and an added expense for a buyer of this watch.
Old 4 July 2017, 02:57 AM   #9
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
If dial does not belong, it's a fake
Seller saying all original
No that does not make it fake!

Fake is if its marked "ROLEX" and any part of it is NOT ROLEX made.
There is no trademark infringement made here

adam
Old 4 July 2017, 02:58 AM   #10
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It would not be FRANKEN
BUT a "MARRIAGE" watch made up of genuine ROLEX parts.
Old 4 July 2017, 06:35 AM   #11
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

The seller has swopped dials, that we know.
We have no way of telling if it is a Rolex part.
It is my understanding if you send a Rolex watch to the RSC and any part of it is not original or belong to the series, Rolex sends the watch back to you without service.
Old 4 July 2017, 06:39 AM   #12
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The seller has swopped dials, that we know.
We have no way of telling if it is a Rolex part.
It is my understanding if you send a Rolex watch to the RSC and any part of it is not original or belong to the series, Rolex sends the watch back to you without service.
Well we do NOT know if seller changed it or id previous owner did.
If watch is not as per Rolex, they write to you first, telling you what they must do and a price.

But that does not make watch a fake or a "franken"

Personally I can not report - but you are free too

Adam
Old 4 July 2017, 07:04 AM   #13
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought I cleared this up for you.
Rolex will not service your watch and return it to you if it has any non genuine Rolex parts on it.

If a watch has a different authentic Rolex part than than the ones made available for that specific reference, they will compel you to change it to one that did come with it. In this case, they will charge for a new dial and keep the one on this watch

Should that be disclosed? No doubt that if the seller knows of the dial swap, it should be disclosed. We don't know if the seller knows this. That said, frankly, the add is not misleading. All parts are authentic.
Old 4 July 2017, 08:19 AM   #14
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I thought I cleared this up for you.
Rolex will not service your watch and return it to you if it has any non genuine Rolex parts on it.

If a watch has a different authentic Rolex part than than the ones made available for that specific reference, they will compel you to change it to one that did come with it. In this case, they will charge for a new dial and keep the one on this watch

Should that be disclosed? No doubt that if the seller knows of the dial swap, it should be disclosed. We don't know if the seller knows this. That said, frankly, the add is not misleading. All parts are authentic.
Again, since the seller swopped the dial, you do not know if he put in a Rolex dial or aftermarket. I agree, it should be disclosed that it is not the factory dial for that model number.
It is my understanding from other posts on the forum that Rolex will not change and charge you for the right dial, but in fact just return to you the way you sent it to them, they will not work on it at all.
Old 4 July 2017, 09:46 AM   #15
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Again, since the seller swopped the dial, you do not know if he put in a Rolex dial or aftermarket. I agree, it should be disclosed that it is not the factory dial for that model number.
It is my understanding from other posts on the forum that Rolex will not change and charge you for the right dial, but in fact just return to you the way you sent it to them, they will not work on it at all.
I can tell you factually that is not correct. You have either read an icorrect post or the more likely scenario, you have misunderstood it.
Rolex will return and not touch a watch that has non Rolex parts.

Example, you change the date wheel as you prefer one with purple background and pink numbers.
If the dial with purple background and pink numbers is a Rolex dial, but not made for that reference, Rolex will tell you they will charge you for a new dial if you wish to service it.
If the dial with purple background and pink numbers is one that was fabricated by "Rolex Fabrications by Johnny", the watch will be returned to you and they will not go near it.

The key as to whether they will touch it or not is are the parts original Rolex parts regardless of reference and your acceptance of having it changed to original format, at an added expense, and giving up the part to Rolex as they will not return it.

Lastly, I don't see any evidence to support the seller is the one that changed the dial. Their description is in fact correct. It's all original parts, just not for that reference. Buyer beware always.
Old 4 July 2017, 10:07 AM   #16
ejvette
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Lastly, I don't see any evidence to support the seller is the one that changed the dial. Their description is in fact correct. It's all original parts, just not for that reference. Buyer beware always.
Exactly... the Ad says "Factory White Dial" assuming the seller is a knowledgeable Rolex seller and judging from their sales history they probably are then yes they are being deceptive in their ad but to say the watch is fake there is no evidence to be found in the ad or pictures to indicate this.

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 10:17 AM   #17
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

You say that if all the components are Rolex, even though they do not come from the factory on that model, Rolex will service after notifying you that a different dial (as in this example) will need to be inserted vs. the wrong, but Rolex dial.

I was lead to believe that if the watch has wrong parts, even though they are Rolex parts, Rolex does not offer the option to repair.

We have a difference of opinion. Perhaps someone could weigh in who has been in this situation.
Old 4 July 2017, 10:27 AM   #18
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You say that if all the components are Rolex, even though they do not come from the factory on that model, Rolex will service after notifying you that a different dial (as in this example) will need to be inserted vs. the wrong, but Rolex dial.

I was lead to believe that if the watch has wrong parts, even though they are Rolex parts, Rolex does not offer the option to repair.

We have a difference of opinion. Perhaps someone could weigh in who has been in this situation.
Yours is from what you read.
Mine is from personal experience.
I have experienced both scenarios.
An eye wintness has been trying to describe the accident to you.
Old 4 July 2017, 10:51 AM   #19
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
i dont have an issue with it.. personally if someone wants to change rolex parts for rolex parts then thats fine... as long as they are genuine parts and not fake or counterfeit...

I wont be reporting this one as there is no infringement by trademark laws and there is NO law saying i cant change out parts on my watch with other genuine bits.

As far as the servicing goes that is up to the buyer to do his own checks and i dont believe the seller is required to disclose that as its not his responsibility
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote