The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 October 2017, 02:47 AM   #1
Rc30matt
"TRF" Member

Trying to buy wisely a Tudor Monte Carlo 7169

Hi All

Im currently looking to buy a really nice blue Tudor 7169 Monte Carlo but am no expert.

However there seems to be many more black ones for every blue one out there and Im not sure if this is just a current market anomaly or if in fact they are much rarer?

Should the price of a blue MC be about the same as a black one or do they command a premium? If so how much extra?

I have seen one for sale which is advertised as a full set but I note that the punched Guarantee paper was never filled out and is blank. Would this set anyones alarm bells ringing? Personally I am loathe to pay extra for the box and such a piece of paper and just want to focus on the watch and in particular the dial and hands.

Looking at the ones that are available, it seems as if almost all dials have some issues with them and buying with a loupe to hand is vital. Does anyone else have any advice re what to look out for?

Thanks very much.
Rc30matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 03:19 AM   #2
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
if you think you may want to sell the watch later I would definitely get one with box and papers. it'll be worth it in the long run.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 04:46 AM   #3
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

You can always buy period correct box. The papers are easy to fake. I take the ones I source to RSC St James. They are then serviced and you receive brand new and relevant paperwork as well as a guarantee. They are also very sympathetic to the collector/wis and our foibles!!
Old 22 October 2017, 07:21 AM   #4
adam78
"TRF" Member

I have a strong feeling that a RSC will not service these cal. 234 Tudors any more. I know that the one in NYC no longer has parts.

Here is mine. I spent a couple of years finding the right one.

Old 22 October 2017, 10:34 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
You can always buy period correct box. The papers are easy to fake. I take the ones I source to RSC St James. They are then serviced and you receive brand new and relevant paperwork as well as a guarantee. They are also very sympathetic to the collector/wis and our foibles!!
My perspective is not the same.

Anyone can obtain RSC papers. In my opinion, it adds very, very minimal to the value. Original papers, when gone, are history - that's why premiums are placed on original papers and sets.

If you find a nice set, with a warranty paper, I'd say go for it. I've never bought a complete set with fake papers.

As far as Rolex being sympathetic to collectors, I have found the exact opposite to be true. They love to change your tritium hands/dials for newer versions, add other service parts and over-polish cases or polish cases when they've been told to not touch the case. Additionally try and find original hands, dials, inserts, clasps, bracelet parts etc. through Rolex - it isn't going to happen. There are also many watches from the past they won't even service anymore.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 06:18 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
My perspective is not the same.

Anyone can obtain RSC papers. In my opinion, it adds very, very minimal to the value. Original papers, when gone, are history - that's why premiums are placed on original papers and sets.

If you find a nice set, with a warranty paper, I'd say go for it. I've never bought a complete set with fake papers.

As far as Rolex being sympathetic to collectors, I have found the exact opposite to be true. They love to change your tritium hands/dials for newer versions, add other service parts and over-polish cases or polish cases when they've been told to not touch the case. Additionally try and find original hands, dials, inserts, clasps, bracelet parts etc. through Rolex - it isn't going to happen. There are also many watches from the past they won't even service anymore.
Springer, I bow to your incredible knowledge, but here in London RSC are offering a new vintage service. Box and papers are of course amazing to find, but unless buying from someone like yourself, they are a distraction to what may not be a great watch. I like the idea of receiving from them knowledge the watch is original and a new guarantee.
Old 22 October 2017, 06:20 PM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam78 View Post
I have a strong feeling that a RSC will not service these cal. 234 Tudors any more. I know that the one in NYC no longer has parts.

Here is mine. I spent a couple of years finding the right one.

That is beautiful
Old 22 October 2017, 07:21 PM   #8
Rc30matt
"TRF" Member

Thanks very much for the comments guys. I guess no one is that concerned is about the original Guarantee being blank. I presume though that it has the actual watches serial number punched on it and so that would be enough?

Adam that is a gorgeous example. I have been looking now for about 3 months now. You must be a very patient man!
Rc30matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 08:18 AM   #9
cdnwatchguy
"TRF" Member

My favourite Monte Carlo variant.
Old 26 October 2017, 12:42 AM   #10
exador
Banned

Is this the watch you’re referring to?

http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=74919004
exador is offline   Reply With Quote