The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 October 2017, 02:18 AM   #31
EDL7
"TRF" Member

It would be an interesting world if people got... and did... and pursued.. what they actually liked... and really wanted to do..
This includes watches..
Just imagine..if all watches..came with no name printed on them..just a pure watch and design...but no name...no Rolex..no Patek...no nothing..
Just a watch...
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 02:18 AM   #32
kinyik
"TRF" Member

I was 19 last year, and was all set for the 214270 Explorer 1. Thought it looked mighty fine and the fact that it was understated gave it a stealthy look. Popped into an AD, tried it on, and felt that i just wasn't matured enough to pull off something without a bezel, or more like a shiny domed bezel. The AD took out a 114060, and I just knew that was the one for me. It just felt younger and more lively.
kinyik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 02:38 AM   #33
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
I've entered this debate on other threads (so I'm sorry if this is a double post).

Currently, I'm in debate on this very subject. I currently have a DJ SS 36 that I got for graduation. It's my 'everyday' watch, literally. I don't baby it or anything.

I'm graduating college this year and I hope to get a 'dressy' watch and have it for many years to come. I've been looking at DD36's, Daytona's, YM's etc. It's truly tough.

I went to an AD yesterday and after putting on a YG Daytona / YG DD. I realized that is not the appearance I want to portray. I don't want to say yellow gold is to mature for me, it's just a very loud color. And I'm not a loud guy!

So now I'm thinking Rose Gold, but unsure of models, I think it would be between a DD and Daytona. Keeping in mind I'd like to use it for dressy occasions/work.

As a note, I'm 26 and have 'smallish' wrist.
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 03:59 AM   #34
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
It would be an interesting world if people got... and did... and pursued.. what they actually liked... and really wanted to do..
This includes watches..
Just imagine..if all watches..came with no name printed on them..just a pure watch and design...but no name...no Rolex..no Patek...no nothing..
Just a watch...
That would be very interesting…
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:25 AM   #35
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
For me personally, I sold my DD40 because it was a little out of my comfort zone as far as maturity and style.

It worked really well for me as a special occasion watch, but it was a bit too much money to tie up in a watch that was worn sparingly.

Don't get my wrong, I think it's about as close to perfect as a watch can get, just not casual enough for my style and lifestyle.
I get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingToSeeHere View Post
It's 2017. Class hardly exists anymore (unfortunately). Terrible life choices are justified with "YOLO". Acting like a 10 year old in your 50s is widely accepted. Millions of people look up to low class trashy celebrities. At this point, I'd say anything is acceptable and age appropriate. True humility and class are dying at warp speed. Social media has accelerated this trend rapidly. People will do anything for attention from random people. I wouldn't blink twice at a 16 year old wearing a solid gold rolex with diamonds. I have my own opinions about class and acting appropriate, but I find fewer and fewer people who even understand what I'm talking about. Wear whatever you want!
Good points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
There is no restrictions, I think it all boils down to perceptions. I grew up looking at old men wearing a day date with the president bracelet. Does that means that’s something to abide to ? No ...maybe in another part of the world 20 year olds are wearing the president watch and therefore perceived as a watch for the young.
Wear what you love , period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsisk View Post
I don't think it depends on the watch itself but on the setting that the watch is in and even outfit. It's obvious that certain models are sought out for by different generations but every watch is interchangeable with people, its just how you choose to wear it.
Agree... a gold Submariner, GMT, DD, etc... may be looked at differently, and an individual may be perceived/judged differently, if they’re wearing it with khakis and a polo vs sweat pants and a hoodie.
Old 24 October 2017, 05:43 AM   #36
LightOnAHill
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD lchdp
age is fleeting

time is a thief

nothing stays the same

but a Rolex can last lifetimes

therefore, get what you like now enjoy it, it'll keep, and your age will change, and styles will change, and even you will change, but if you get what you like, chances are you'll continue to like it and the watch will bring you enjoyment. Then, those of yours that see you wearing it will connect it to you and it can be left to them with attachment that is timeless.
LightOnAHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:48 AM   #37
Andrewlennywatches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
No right or wrong answer. Depends on your own style, and what you are comfortable wearing.
Exactly.
Andrewlennywatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:51 AM   #38
TSingh
"TRF" Member

I'm 18 years old and in my personal opinion I think sports models Sub/GMT/Daytona look best in SS, DateJust's are best in two tone and DayDate's look best in yellow gold. I personally went for a 36mm DateJust in steel and yellow gold with the oyster bracelet. I found that the Sub/GMT was slightly too big on my wrist so I went for a 36mm Datejust. the two tone jubilee just felt like my dad's watch. Opting for the oyster bracelet gave it a sportier feel which I preferred. I aspire to have a DayDate at some point but not anytime soon haha
TSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:55 AM   #39
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
Buy and wear what you like, it's a personal choice.
Old 24 October 2017, 06:04 AM   #40
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
It depends on you and the watch.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 06:05 AM   #41
R. Francis
"TRF" Member

I' fairly young, under 30. And have had recent fantasies of snagging a TT DJ 41 or the TT GMTc (wow); which for the most part are seen as old fashioned on younger folks. I don't think there's an age level for these watches. I think TT would look killer actually in some blue jeans a a tee.
R. Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 06:08 AM   #42
peterpl
Banned

I've been rocking TT Bluesy, TT DJ41, DD40, Rose Gold Skydwellers since I was 29.

nothing presents better than a confident person no matter whats on the wrist.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 06:15 AM   #43
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
wear what you want with confidant humility. It's not for anyone else anyway. it's your watch.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 09:22 AM   #44
rmlovett1

Looks to be fairly split. In the thought process, I think there may be a generational difference as well....not in all cases but definitely there.
Old 24 October 2017, 09:37 AM   #45
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
I think any Rolex for any age but I remember being at an AD in chestnuthill ma about 8 years back and there was a very attractive saleswomen who said only old men wear yellow gold so stick with stainless.i told her I couldn’t afford yellow gold and that was the only reason I was staying stainless.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 09:41 AM   #46
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
47. Male. 34mm TT Date (1983 15003). Jubilee bracelet, smooth bezel, champagne dial.

I have small wrists, so the 34mm does not look small on me. When casual, it's either jeans and a polo shirt or khaki shorts and a polo shirt.

I have been able to wear the two tone with pretty much anything I wear. I like it. I will have an Explorer or Explorer II eventually, but this one is my first and my only.

For those who have chastised me for wearing this watch while doing pretty much everything.....well, just because it doesn't look like a sports watch doesn't mean it can't act like one. It is a Rolex, after all.....and will still be running long after I have stopped.
Old 24 October 2017, 09:47 AM   #47
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco21 View Post
I think any Rolex for any age but I remember being at an AD in chestnuthill ma about 8 years back and there was a very attractive saleswomen who said only old men wear yellow gold so stick with stainless.i told her I couldn’t afford yellow gold and that was the only reason I was staying stainless.
Nicely handled
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:13 AM   #48
Pacheco
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD40,DJ41,YM Blue
Not sure if I'm the "rapper type" or the "businessman" but I wear my DD40 with Jordan's and Huaraches on the weekends and my blue YM with khakis and a polo when I'm going to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0438.JPG (103.7 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.JPG (118.1 KB, 198 views)
Old 24 October 2017, 12:39 PM   #49
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
I’m 51 and basically have same taste as when bought my first Rolex (16610)in 1995 (still own it); so guess every case is different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 01:50 PM   #50
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
Well I’m 17 and I think I’m too mature for a two tone yahtmaster 2.
Kevin O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:57 PM   #51
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Pretty much thats the case. A full YG piece alot of younger people can not afford hence why older gentlemen wear full gold watches.

If the price point was the same for SS or full gold I dont think this statement of older ppl wearing gold would stick.

Lets be honest the older you get the more money you have generally speaking.

When I was 21 I loved watches but never ever could afford a PM piece. I used to dream about them. Fast forward to 30 i own a DD40, Rose Gold Skydweller on Bracelet, AP 44 RG and my next one probably will be a 5980r on bracelet if I can find one.

Only 9 years apart circumstances can change big time especially financially. I'm sure by the time I'm 40 I would be able to rock even more expensive watches.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 06:12 PM   #52
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Yellow gold all the way. Go big!

Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 06:35 PM   #53
Star Ferry
Banned

Older men can get away with more.. It's a perk of getting old. How many people are going to judge a 75 year old man for wearing a gold Rolex, two tone Rolex, fedora, etc.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 07:02 PM   #54
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Quote:
Yellow gold has made a comeback since then, I think. Eight years ago red gold was being pushed as the hot gold for younger professionals. I heard that at AD.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 07:06 PM   #55
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Yellow gold has made a comeback since then, I think. Eight years ago red gold was being pushed as the hot gold for younger professionals. I heard that at AD.

Maybe demographics had changed. The color of gold, I've heard, is meant to match your color. Yellow gold for darker complexion and rose gold for lighter. To me, gold is just a color
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:02 PM   #56
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Older men can get away with more.. It's a perk of getting old. How many people are going to judge a 75 year old man for wearing a gold Rolex, two tone Rolex, fedora, etc.
I believe this is probably true
Old 24 October 2017, 11:16 PM   #57
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Too many people worry about what’s “appropriate” for their age. Screw everybody else and wear whatever appeals to you.
Old 24 October 2017, 11:43 PM   #58
actionkwj
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soak up the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Essentially only one rule: If you can buy it you can wear it.

This and rule #2: wear the watch and dont let it wear you. Same thing applies to hats and boots!

In other words, if youre confortable wearing something, no one will notice.

actionkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:56 PM   #59
Leeq
"TRF" Member

I think it's all dependent on style. It doesn't matter how young or old you are - all that matters is that you know how to style the watch, and wear it with the right fit to make it look good.
Leeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 05:15 PM   #60
regnant
"TRF" Member

There is a misconception that gold watches are only for older people. Any watch can be worn by anyone at any age as long as the person who wears it can handle it without being too loud