The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2017, 10:53 PM   #1
ewdi
"TRF" Member

Box or Winder?

So my wife and I consolidated our watches pretty much (sharing between hers and mine - except for the ladies watches) so we can rotate them to keep them from winding off but it doesn't seems to be working as we usually picked up what we feel like wearing everyday - want to see if you guys prefer winders or just winding them daily for multiple watches? If winders any recommended brand and model that doesn't cost like a car :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 23 October 2017, 11:07 PM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Both, winder for watches that take work to set and cases for those that are easy. Simple as that. My wife has arthritis in her hands so she only uses a winder. Basically do what serves you.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 11:14 PM   #3
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

Box or Winder?

I mix and match depending on my mood. At present, none of my winders are running because I decided to give the movements a break; I may convert entirely to box based storage. That said, I do like my winders. If you’re on the market, check out the ones from Heiden Prestige — affordable, aesthetically pleasing and quite configurable. If you happen to be in the Bay Area, I might know of two quads that are gonna be for sale. ;-) Good luck!
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 12:59 AM   #4
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
I have a winder and hardly use it. The most complicated watch I own is a GMT. When I’m not wearing them, I put them to sleep.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 01:16 AM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I have used a winder for 20 years now. You don’t always have to turn it on as it also makes a ideal case/box for your watches to keep them safe. I have a multi head winder that each head is programmable and can be turned off independently. It’s ideal for meeting the required winding for chronographs, and various movements. IMO this is the only way to go.
Old 24 October 2017, 01:40 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Have three winders, never use them nowadays. The SkyDweller is so easy to set manually (daily beater so no worries), and all others are either just time or DayDate, so again easy to set manually/wind when first wearing. Avoiding winder wear/tear and all that, plus each timepiece gets worm and/or wound once a month.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 01:43 AM   #7
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Why not winder and box together :j
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 01:50 AM   #8
morimotom
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I prefer to wind them myself. I like the interaction, and I keep my three running all the time, and rotate wear.
morimotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 01:57 AM   #9
DanielWatson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LN
Just have a watch box to store them in and set them manually as and when, its nice to do it to your watch (have a play) and also a watch winder box is the same as having a car running all the time in your garage, you just wouldn't do it.
DanielWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 01:57 AM   #10
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
I have a six-way watch winder and keep all my Rolex and Omega watches in the winder. I have a four-way winder that I have in storage because I've outgrown it.

It's a personal preference to keep watches in boxes or winders; I prefer the convenience of a watch winder. I can also see if a watch is running slow or fast.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote