The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 February 2008, 02:34 AM   #1
sobmofo
"TRF" Member

panerai marina

i have a panerai marina, when you look at the sapphire cystal at certain angles the inage becomes distorted and looks like a wavy bubble. does this mean the crystal is not sapphire, is it some cheap mineral glass? a friend told me sapphire crystal will never distort the image or become wavy, please help me to understand if i got a cheap knockoff watch here
sobmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2008, 03:24 AM   #2
puffnmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobmofo View Post
i have a panerai marina, when you look at the sapphire cystal at certain angles the inage becomes distorted and looks like a wavy bubble. does this mean the crystal is not sapphire, is it some cheap mineral glass? a friend told me sapphire crystal will never distort the image or become wavy, please help me to understand if i got a cheap knockoff watch here
How much you paid for it could provide a clue. If it was cheap then it's a knockoff...
Panerais sell at msrp, and pre-owned at close to msrp, sometimes more for a rare one. Cheers, Larry.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2008, 07:13 AM   #3
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Nothing to worry about. Even though this is one of the tell-tale "fake checks" that folks in Asia live and die by, all Panerai watches exhibit this.

I only know because a buddy of mine who spent about 10 years living in Asia would bring this up every time I mentioned Panerai.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2008, 11:36 PM   #4
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
if you're worried about authenticity, why not take it to a Panerai AD and have them authenticate it by pulling the movement?
best,dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2008, 10:41 AM   #5
applebook
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
if you're worried about authenticity, why not take it to a Panerai AD and have them authenticate it by pulling the movement?
best,dan

The problem is that there are some pretty decent fakes out there with fake finish on a real Unitas movement. The only way to tell is to examine everything under a loupe, although an expert should be able to tell with the naked eye.

Take it to an AD. A knowledgeable salesperson will be able to determine if the watch is real or not without even lifting a single screw.