The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2017, 12:50 AM   #91
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Wow! Hard to believe some of these comments. I have a RO 15400
I bought used ( about 8 mos old) w box and papers about 3 years ago. I enjoy wearing it frequently and although I am always working on repairs on my rental properties, I have never had a problem w it. I just bought a Panda ( about 6mos old) w box and papers and love it! Frankly although I sent the warrenty papers in I really don't care about warrenty. I have 3 pp's including a Nautilus I love, 2 Rolex's , 3 Audemars- all purchased w box and papers used-anyone of which I can always sell and get what I paid and on most make a substantial profit. Do you homework, be sure to get box and papers and enjoy a wonderful timepiece- dare I say investment ?
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 12:53 AM   #92
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Here they are
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0491.jpg (61.3 KB, 1147 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0412.jpg (67.5 KB, 1140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0414.jpg (55.5 KB, 1137 views)
Old 26 May 2017, 12:57 AM   #93
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Whoops that was a Breitling I want to sell ha! Here is the other RO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0373.jpg (89.9 KB, 1127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.jpg (72.2 KB, 1127 views)
Old 26 May 2017, 01:53 AM   #94
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
So my takeaway from this thread is that APs are finicky and expensive to maintain. But beautiful. I find it hard to believe that modern sports watches like AP or PP are that delicate.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 10:55 AM   #95
ros
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Anything specific to look out for when buying a 44mm Novelty that's a few years old from a trusted seller (box, papers). One in particular I wanted has just been serviced.

It's a 2015 I Series.

I prefer the now "discontinued" novelties and have read the forum endlessly but would appreciate any advice
ros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 02:53 PM   #96
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ros View Post
Anything specific to look out for when buying a 44mm Novelty that's a few years old from a trusted seller (box, papers). One in particular I wanted has just been serviced.

It's a 2015 I Series.

I prefer the now "discontinued" novelties and have read the forum endlessly but would appreciate any advice
Just make sure the service was done by APSC. I would also ask why a 2 year old watch was just serviced.

Also, if you have not yet seen both watches side by side, head on over to selfridges as they have both watches currently.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 02:58 PM   #97
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Great advice thanks !!
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Bello_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 07:55 AM   #98
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
I hope this can become a sticky on the AP Forum as I believe a lot of people considering buying a pre-owned AP would benefit from the advice I am giving out.

Always keep in mind the following when making a purchase of a pre-owned AP. Especially when buying a Royal Oak or a Royal Oak Offshore.

1. If you own a vintage AP and don't know the service history on the watch do not send it in for service at AP unless it stops running. Don't let an independent watchmaker work on a vintage AP no matter what. The money you save today, you'll have to pay it tomorrow.

2. If you buy a pre-owned modern AP RO or ROO try to get one that is not very old (F series and up) ideally with some service history and in overall great shape. Don't by a beater even if it's a good deal! You'll pay the difference afterwards.

3. If you buy a 5402 be very careful with the crown and avoid using the quick-set calendar advance feature that comes with cal. 2121. (While the watch doesn't have a date setting crown position, you can quickly advance the date by going with the hands past midnight to around 1am or 2am and then back to 10pm to adjust the date without having to go around 24hrs for each day). This is not an isolated case as on the four 5402s that I've owned I always had problems with the crown stem breaking and the crown coming off will pulling it out to set the time. On one of them this happened twice in a two-year period. When pulling the crown out to set the time, pull very slowly! Another thing to consider will be to wind the watch via the crown by turning it no more than 5-7 turns.

4. On 5402s even after being serviced, AP doesn't guarantee any water-resistance. Don't even get it wet while washing your hands.

5. If you buy a ROO (Pre F-series) make sure it comes with service papers or service history. Otherwise stay away, unless you know the owner or the watch is really flawless.

6. Do not have the watch or bezel polished by independents. You might lose the AP bevels and bezel will become rounded over time and thin out. AP uses a special machine to keep the octagonal shape intact and polished/brushed areas perfectly balanced.

7. If you buy an AP still under warranty make sure to get the warranty registered and get your third year sticker. If the warranty is close to expire send the watch in and work will be done under warranty giving you another 2 years.

8. If you open a case back on a ROO do not attempt to open the anti-magnetic casing that holds the movement inside as those screws are very delicate. If you open the case back you are voiding any warranty on the watch as AP will know it was opened. Get it pressured test it if you do.

9. If you want to go AP make sure you have done your research, tried the watch on and have money ready for the service when the time comes. As Ken accurately mentioned, the service on modern APs will be expensive but not as expensive as it is on a Vintage piece like mine unless something is seriously wrong or other watchmakers before your ownership messed up the movement.

10. Stay away from a RO Quartz as changing the battery is something that needs to be done every 2-3 years. To change the battery you need to disassemble the whole watch. Remove the bezel, dial, hands, crown, etc. to access the movement and then replace the battery. If done by an independent there are a ton of things that can go wrong. Then again you will need to have AP do it and it gets really pricey even when it's just a battery change as they will still force you to do a periodic service.

I hope other owners and future owners learn from my experience and use this advice moving forward. I would hate to see anyone else go through the ordeals I've been dealing with this week.
Grate article. Follow advise got a new 15400.03 from AD .
Thanks good Advise.
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2017, 07:03 AM   #99
crisc416
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the great information. AP is definitely on my radar and it's a timepiece that I really want to own in the near future!
crisc416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2017, 09:14 AM   #100
fosbibr
"TRF" Member

What happened around the F series? Why do you use this as a delineating time frame?

TIA
fosbibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:35 AM   #101
Bowtrout
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26300 ST 116500
Great Advice!
Thanks
Bowtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 01:41 PM   #102
BABKA
"TRF" Member

I just found this thread and it is excellent advice! There are good deals on beat up pieces and I have seen polish jobs from watchmakers and can tell you that they do not even come close to how AP refinishes. These specific polishing wheels are only located in Clearwater FL and I have yet to see a polish job come out looking AP factory fresh! So great advice and thanks!
BABKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 10:10 PM   #103
Volyc
"TRF" Member

Hello AP enthusiasts, I'm new to the forum. Hoping that some of you can answer my doubts.

Just last week, I was offered a very good deal of AP15202ST Blue Dial, year of 2016. I was very interested with AP15400 blue dial actually until I saw the AP15202ST in person. I was blown away.

Anyway, the AP15202ST comes with a deep scratch on the bracelet. Is it a good idea to polish the bracelet? I've heard that polishing may drop the watch value on certain models.

Or is it possible to just change the 1 plate of the bracelet?

I live in Jakarta Indonesia and we don't have AP service center here. Can you recommend the nearest one?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Volyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 07:33 AM   #104
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Hi and thanks for the info. I've just ordered a pre-owned ROO, a 140800ST, D series. Thankfully I purchased it from an AP dealer. They advised me they inspected the watch and found it keeping time within limits. They also warranty the watch for 15 months. It's a great looking watch, black dial, stainless steel. Also have a AP boutique here in Las Vegas that is a service center.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 01:43 AM   #105
soran
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Valuable info. Thanks
soran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 04:58 AM   #106
diegohwang
"TRF" Member

Useful info! Will take all into account! Thx

Using Tapatalk

Instagram: @zenwatchcollection
diegohwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 07:56 AM   #107
Mach 5
"TRF" Member

great info!
Mach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:23 PM   #108
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
Wow and I was considering a quartz RO for my wife as a next year's bday present...paying close to $1,000 for a battery change every 2-3 years is outrageous and I wonder who was the genius designer who come up with such an impractical design (from the owner's stand point of course - AP must love it). Thanks for saving me a bundle - I will look at quartz PP instead.
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 07:48 AM   #109
franku26
"TRF" Member

Used 2016 AP Chrono blue face

Hello guys, I’m new to this forum. I currently have a 2018 sub in black date and a hulk. Someone is offering to trade me their blue AP royal oal chronograph from 2016 for my 2018 date black sub. Is this a good deal? He can get me the box and warranty card. No manuals. I really need help because I like the AP and it’d be something new but I’m not well versed in AP and don’t know if this is a good deal. Thank you for the help!
franku26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2019, 04:35 AM   #110
Rabirx786
"TRF" Member

Great info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rabirx786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 02:35 PM   #111
JoesWatches
"TRF" Member

Great advise- thanks!
JoesWatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 01:24 PM   #112
kached
Banned

I'm looking at getting a D-series 36mm royal oak - would they be considered and what would the service costs be like?
kached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 07:47 AM   #113
Pouring2010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kached View Post
I'm looking at getting a D-series 36mm royal oak - would they be considered and what would the service costs be like?
I bought one of these in the past month. Its a suoer watch, a bit small on my 7inch wrist. I assume and has not investigated... that service costs are in line with other automatic APs

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Pouring2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 01:31 PM   #114
Wostep1
"TRF" Member

Very nice post. I might have some ideas to add in here.
Wostep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 06:14 PM   #115
watchprenuer
"TRF" Member

this is great info thanks
watchprenuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 07:37 AM   #116
watcher3223
"TRF" Member

thanks for the info
watcher3223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 09:50 AM   #117
Sammykoshan
"TRF" Member

Awesome thank you!
Sammykoshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2019, 03:39 PM   #118
LemaniaChrono
2024 Pledge Member

Any experience with the 39mm RO Chrono's 26300 series? Specifically things to look for and reliability? Same guidance F Serial or newer? Love the brown dial and the panda. Currently around 17-20k.
LemaniaChrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2019, 07:13 AM   #119
thetimetraveler
"TRF" Member

Great information.
thetimetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2019, 02:56 AM   #120
hongkongrr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaniaChrono View Post
Any experience with the 39mm RO Chrono's 26300 series? Specifically things to look for and reliability? Same guidance F Serial or newer? Love the brown dial and the panda. Currently around 17-20k.
I am curious on the same thing. Do u have any luck getting more info on reliability?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
hongkongrr is offline   Reply With Quote