The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2017, 07:14 PM   #1
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Too good an offer to refuse?

Well I am watch shopping again and recently on a trip to Singapore to an AP AD was lucky to find they had the blue 15400 as well as the black and white models as well.

I then asked them about possible gifts they can throw in as I assume they couldn't give discounts. Then the sales person proceeded to tell me they can give me a discount, not just on the black/white models but also on the blue model as well.

This really took me by surprise, as I know the blue one is boutique only and they are notorious across the brands to not being able to offer a discount. Is this just a one-off - have other people been offered this as well? Or is it a sign that the luxury watch market is going soft? As our learned friend archieluxury is saying recently. Btw the discount offered was 10% on black/white and 5% on the blue
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 07:20 PM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

personally i would get the dial you prefer pricing aside. When you are spending that much on a watch to begin with, 5% shouldn't be the deciding factor.

I have heard of discounts of about 5% offered at a boutique before on boutique only pieces. Higher than that I have not.

Not sure i agree the AP market is soft on RO or ROO. If i remember correctly I saw an interview with the CEO of AP saying watch industry overall was down but they were growing.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 07:28 PM   #3
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
personally i would get the dial you prefer pricing aside. When you are spending that much on a watch to begin with, 5% shouldn't be the deciding factor.

I have heard of discounts of about 5% offered at a boutique before on boutique only pieces. Higher than that I have not.

Not sure i agree the AP market is soft on RO or ROO. If i remember correctly I saw an interview with the CEO of AP saying watch industry overall was down but they were growing.
Thanks buddy, another issue that I wanted to mention as well is that I've heard the blue model, being rarer does hold its value very well as compared to the black. If anyone can share their views on this, much appreciated
Old 22 June 2017, 07:31 PM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
Thanks buddy, another issue that I wanted to mention as well is that I've heard the blue model, being rarer does hold its value very well as compared to the black. If anyone can share their views on this, much appreciated
It does, specifically because it is harder to get a discount because of it being boutique only. Smaller discount = higher secondary market prices. It is rarer too also because of it being boutique only as the number of places it is available is way smaller.

That doesn't factor in the fact that blue is also the preferred color of dial for many people as well. So that helps too.
Old 22 June 2017, 08:46 PM   #5
sachit
"TRF" Member

Too good an offer to refuse?

Some boutiques do ..Some boutiques don't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sachit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 10:24 PM   #6
Giggsy11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Rolex PP
I was the under the impression the blue 15400 is no longer boutique item only now...
Not sure if my AD gave me right info
Giggsy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 10:49 PM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Two things first

1) Archie luxury is neither learned nor a friend

2) The market has been soft for a few years now

That said, get the blue dial!
GB-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 11:11 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

1) Archie luxury is neither learned nor a friend
I watch his videos because its like watching a train wreck and you can't look away, not for the valuable advice. Plus its always entertaining to be yelled at.
Old 22 June 2017, 11:34 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'm surprised you got offered a discount without asking on the blue dial, but I'd snap that one up.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:42 AM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

I got 10% on the ceramic diver at the Paris boutique, not sure if it was a boutique exclusivity or not, but was dealing directly with the director
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:47 AM   #11
zack777es
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP PP Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'm surprised you got offered a discount without asking on the blue dial, but I'd snap that one up.
This x 1

No discount for when I got my blue 15400 last October.
Old 23 June 2017, 03:41 AM   #12
roger0770
Banned

Watch: A Few
Um... I was offered a discount at the Taipei 101 AP Boutique in November when I visited. I guess it depends on the area?
roger0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 04:39 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack777es View Post
This x 1

No discount for when I got my blue 15400 last October.
If they knew how many people you'd enabled with your great pics, they'd give you half back.
Old 23 June 2017, 05:13 AM   #14
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I agree that, in the grand scheme of spending ~14-15k on a watch, 5% should play no role in the choice. Which do you like more?
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 06:45 AM   #15
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
I agree that, in the grand scheme of spending ~14-15k on a watch, 5% should play no role in the choice. Which do you like more?
In fact, when I pushed further they offered 10% discount on the blue which is a pretty decent saving considering they shouldn't discount at all. Plus I think with this sales guy, I think if I pushed even more I can probably get something else thrown in. I took a lot of pics, here are some of them

The blue dial is nice,but I'm swaying towards the black - as the logo really looks defined and 'pops' compared to the blue I think. I know a grey dealer that can get me 28% off the black one BNIB. But having said that, I have heard the blue one holds its value almost to the level of the PP 5711 - can anyone confirm this?

Old 23 June 2017, 06:58 AM   #16
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Buy what you want, the one that you feel. I have held all the colors in my hand. I held a blue next to a black and honestly I preferred the black. Take away the hype and resale value and go for the color that sings to you, there is no wrong decision except buying what you think is the most popular or buying for resale value.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 07:13 AM   #17
lopez784
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
The blue dial is much harder to find, specially at a discount. It 's easy you can hardly find a Blue dial online without a premium. Black and white are all over .

If you like the blue dial, get it. Do not think twice
lopez784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:31 AM   #18
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
The blue dial is nice,but I'm swaying towards the black - as the logo really looks defined and 'pops' compared to the blue I think. I know a grey dealer that can get me 28% off the black one BNIB. But having said that, I have heard the blue one holds its value almost to the level of the PP 5711 - can anyone confirm this?
Not even close – Blue 15400s are not unattainable, they are readily available from stock in most instances.
AP doesn’t play the Rolex or Patek managed release/production, and the blue is hyped a bit, which is why it may hold slightly more of its cost than the other two colours.
In a previous I mentioned that I don’t like the black one, as the hands often disappear, whereas with the silver and blue, they’re always visible at a glance to read the time – something you may not notice in the bright lights of a store.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:21 PM   #19
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

I bought a silver dial, they're all great tho.
Old 24 June 2017, 02:54 AM   #20
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Not even close – Blue 15400s are not unattainable, they are readily available from stock in most instances.
AP doesn’t play the Rolex or Patek managed release/production, and the blue is hyped a bit, which is why it may hold slightly more of its cost than the other two colours.
In a previous I mentioned that I don’t like the black one, as the hands often disappear, whereas with the silver and blue, they’re always visible at a glance to read the time – something you may not notice in the bright lights of a store.
The black one really looks solid in terms of the dial, logo while I think the blue dial in some lighting the logo doesn't look as defined.

Funnily enough my least favourite is the silver dial, I'm still swaying towards the black one with the 27-8% discount on offer with a grey dealer
Old 24 June 2017, 05:01 AM   #21
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

You will not de disappointed with any of the dials, but I personally agree with you on the black dial. I was in this predicament when I was getting mine and as you can see from my avatar I went with the black dial. While I do like the blue dial I find that in some lighting it can look a little, dare I say, tacky. But I find the black looks good under any lighting condition. This is obviously my personal opinion. Everybody has different tastes otherwise we'd all buy the same thing! I too least favour the white/silver dial.

I'd post a couple pictures to help you decide but posting pics has become a pain in the backside recently.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 07:29 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
You will not de disappointed with any of the dials, but I personally agree with you on the black dial. I was in this predicament when I was getting mine and as you can see from my avatar I went with the black dial. While I do like the blue dial I find that in some lighting it can look a little, dare I say, tacky. But I find the black looks good under any lighting condition. This is obviously my personal opinion. Everybody has different tastes otherwise we'd all buy the same thing! I too least favour the white/silver dial.

I'd post a couple pictures to help you decide but posting pics has become a pain in the backside recently.
I can see what you mean, the top and bottom pics are quite different in the above post. Black and silver are more consistent, but when the blue is hot it is hot.
Old 24 June 2017, 10:30 AM   #23
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Well.... Ultimately it is watches, so maybe the market has gone soft...?
Old 24 June 2017, 10:39 AM   #24
gummy

Watch: AP PP Rolex
Go Blue
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:49 AM   #25
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummy View Post
Go Blue
What I really wanted to say - and this is quite controversial - couldn't quite think of the words to describe

But the blue, it is dynamic and catches the light and looks different as it does so. But in some angles it does look like a faded black or a faded blue, just something about it which is more interesting admittedly but kinda detracts from it slightly
Old 24 June 2017, 05:20 PM   #26
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

Black one looks nice on the wrist.
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 01:07 AM   #27
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlt730512 View Post
Black one looks nice on the wrist.
Yep, agreed

And what's really interesting is that I rang up 2 grey dealers - they actually offered the same price for the 15400, regardless of whether it was black or blue dial. Just curious to see the 2ndhand market price
Old 26 June 2017, 02:00 AM   #28
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep, agreed

And what's really interesting is that I rang up 2 grey dealers - they actually offered the same price for the 15400, regardless of whether it was black or blue dial. Just curious to see the 2ndhand market price
Its still not clear which one you actually prefer, besides not liking the silver dial.

Your back and fourth between black and blue seems to be less of a decision about an actual color preference and more about a selection based on value retention, flipping in the future, and discount offered. AD discounts and Grey market discounts don't mean a thing if you are picking the watch based on the discount you can get vs which one you like best. If you pick a color you don't like based on discount and flip it because you realize you didn't actually like that color, you will lose money no matter the dial color.

Pick the watch then find the best deal, not the other way around.
Old 26 June 2017, 02:13 AM   #29
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I am watch shopping again and recently on a trip to Singapore to an AP AD was lucky to find they had the blue 15400 as well as the black and white models as well.

I then asked them about possible gifts they can throw in as I assume they couldn't give discounts. Then the sales person proceeded to tell me they can give me a discount, not just on the black/white models but also on the blue model as well.

This really took me by surprise, as I know the blue one is boutique only and they are notorious across the brands to not being able to offer a discount. Is this just a one-off - have other people been offered this as well? Or is it a sign that the luxury watch market is going soft? As our learned friend archieluxury is saying recently. Btw the discount offered was 10% on black/white and 5% on the blue

Maybe it was a conciliatory offer for having touched your Rolex without gloves?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=545444
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 03:23 AM   #30
RHJ

Watch: 214270 Mk1
Seems to be an evaluation of market here, not a question of personal preferences...