The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 August 2023, 03:29 AM   #31
bondibeach
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
both journeys don't sound realistic to me. The AP journey maybe a bit more, but getting an Aquanaut is so far out of reach at the Patek ADs over here. I would consider, if that is the piece I really want, to buy it grey then.
bondibeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 06:29 AM   #32
Uros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
The vast majority of the watches is readily available or with a short wait. Perhaps you should ask yourself why you seem to like only those watches that everyone else likes?

Have to dusagree on this. Basically you cant buy any RO/Patek sport model without playing some idiotic game with boutique/ADs. To be in position to buy cca 50k watch I would assume majority here are successful in their line of work and for sure are not naive to start with. You go to instagram and see greys with literally hundreds of wait list models brand new so it is not dificult to see who is idiot in the room.

Not until recently AP/Patek/Rolex stores were completely empty. So it is not about the love for watches and this expensive hobby of ours but crazy supply/demand game for the benefit of few and OP is probably right in puting numbers how much does it cost him to be in position to choose what he truly likes. Was lucky I guess to acquire some of the models before the hype but now have parked the search completely. Going to store for 6months and more and put myself to sone imaginary waiting list or even worse buy something I dont like doesnt make any sense but understand if someone wants to approach it in that way although it does fuel the hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 06:32 AM   #33
Uros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
The OP did not stipulate that. But you realize the hype you speak of is almost entirely generated by the secondary pricing vs msrp he is asking about. So really, he is a large part of the problem.

True, although he stated he never sold watches and seems knowleadgeable. Agree buying what you dont like just fuels the hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 07:05 AM   #34
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Since I buy a lot of hype pieces or ones I think have a chance of appreciation; in a way they pay the depreciation on my non-hype watches if I sell them.

I’m probably done with Patek unless my AD gets them back or I consolidate into a PCC, in which case I’m going used anyway. I guess I need to get on that because who knows how long a service takes on a PCC these days.

I bought an Aquanaut when they were sitting unloved in the display case.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2023, 02:55 PM   #35
skimuslin
"TRF" Member

In essence, you can't purchase any RO or Patek Sport model without partaking in some absurd game with boutiques or ADs. You can easily identify the fool in the room by looking at the greys on Instagram, where there are literally hundreds of fresh models on the wait list.
skimuslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 01:07 AM   #36
JMac6
"TRF" Member

My Patek "journey" consisted of a 5205G-013, a 5212A, and a 5712A. My "journey" has stalled-out at this point as I am not sure where I really want to go next - I may wait to see how the catalogue changes over the next couple of years. I would like a perpetual calendar or a world timer but not sure if I want any that are currently being made.

If my "journey" looked more like your "journey," I do not think I would have embarked on it. At this point, I think I would urge a measure of patience. I think the landscape may look different a year or two from now.
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2023, 03:25 AM   #37
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac6 View Post
My Patek "journey" consisted of a 5205G-013, a 5212A, and a 5712A. My "journey" has stalled-out at this point as I am not sure where I really want to go next - I may wait to see how the catalogue changes over the next couple of years. I would like a perpetual calendar or a world timer but not sure if I want any that are currently being made.

If my "journey" looked more like your "journey," I do not think I would have embarked on it. At this point, I think I would urge a measure of patience. I think the landscape may look different a year or two from now.
As much as I think about patek I should actually rather think about making more money in my business. I have 3 pateks plus a vintage nautlius for the wifey.

But what's next?

Maybe I go 5226 or 5172G salmon next but honestly it's tough. I could easily swing a 10-20k watch every now (If I would only like Rolex or Omega) and then but most patek entry level watches are a tough pill to swallow. 45k for the 5226 ouch. 80k for the 5172.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote