The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 30 September 2020, 05:47 AM   #1
placek
Banned

Watch: Red Sea Dweller 43
Things staring to normalize???

Took my first business trip last week since the start of Corona. Was in Chicago and the activity downtown as pretty good. Restaurants that were open were full. Went to Maple & Ash, had an excellent dinner and it was packed both inside and outside. While traveling back to Vegas, middle seats were open, but plane about 80% full otherwise. Went out to lunch on the Strip on Sunday and quite a bit of activity, with lines formed at the stores in Crystals to get in due to limited customers in store.

Have we turned a corner??
Old 30 September 2020, 06:00 AM   #2
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Human behavior has sort of equilibrated, though a new normal. We did our first family trip out of state last week and there are definitely more people out and about wherever you go, let alone a completely booked return flight. I'm not looking forward to fall/winter in the upper Midwest to be honest, just hoping we keep our numbers low enough to keep the kids in school.
Old 30 September 2020, 06:04 AM   #3
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Human behavior has sort of equilibrated, though a new normal.
This.

I think people have adjusted to being able to live with COVID in 2020. All you can do is protect yourself while being out - wear a mask and don't get too close to strangers.

You all know we've been traveling and while it isn't to international locations or anything like that, we're still trying to live as much of a "normal" life as possible while safeguarding from the virus.
Old 30 September 2020, 06:24 AM   #4
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
This.

I think people have adjusted to being able to live with COVID in 2020. All you can do is protect yourself while being out - wear a mask and don't get too close to strangers.

You all know we've been traveling and while it isn't to international locations or anything like that, we're still trying to live as much of a "normal" life as possible while safeguarding from the virus.
I find your posts very inspiring. We went to Montana and stayed in a house in Big Sky. Flying definitely made me nervous, so my wife and I wore N95 masks for the entire duration of each flight while the kids wore well-fitted cloth masks. Not comfortable but not terrible for a few hours. Once there it was easier to minimize exposure as we mostly chilled at the house after the kids' remote learning school mornings and did afternoon outdoor activities.

Only sketchy experience was during breakfast one morning. The day prior we went to a place that was nearly empty, everyone had masks except while eating, etc. The next day we sit down, suddenly it's packed, old poorly ventilated diner setting, then the one less-than-fit person waiting tables gets short of breath while running food out, coughing AFTER removing her mask , not washing hands after touching her face. It's been 5 days and we're all symptom free but for the first couple days every time I cleared my throat, I was thinking of updating my will
Old 30 September 2020, 06:36 AM   #5
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I find your posts very inspiring. We went to Montana and stayed in a house in Big Sky. Flying definitely made me nervous, so my wife and I wore N95 masks for the entire duration of each flight while the kids wore well-fitted cloth masks. Not comfortable but not terrible for a few hours. Once there it was easier to minimize exposure as we mostly chilled at the house after the kids' remote learning school mornings and did afternoon outdoor activities.

Only sketchy experience was during breakfast one morning. The day prior we went to a place that was nearly empty, everyone had masks except while eating, etc. The next day we sit down, suddenly it's packed, old poorly ventilated diner setting, then the one less-than-fit person waiting tables gets short of breath while running food out, coughing AFTER removing her mask , not washing hands after touching her face. It's been 5 days and we're all symptom free but for the first couple days every time I cleared my throat, I was thinking of updating my will
Truly appreciate that!

Also know what you mean - after that first trip, any cough or odd feeling had us pointing at each other like "COVID!". It's similar to the memes these days though - "can you still get sick-sick, or is everything COVID-sick?". One cough at the grocery store and you've got 15 sets of eyes BEAMING into you...but I digress.

We're actually taking the boys and my in-laws to a cabin in the Smoky Mountains in a couple weeks, so we'll see how that goes with all of us traveling together.
Old 30 September 2020, 06:58 AM   #6
wfitch
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ II 116330
Flew in and out of JFK airport two weeks ago and I can tell you it is def not normal. Only two shops open within the AA terminal to buy food, which they no longer provide on the plane, and everything else was shuttered. Far more interesting was my return where my wife waited for 20 minutes parked at the curb on the inner loop while I got my bags. This is normally 7 cars deep and there is barely standing allowed, forget parking. I can't tell you how shocking this was.
Hate to be a doom sayer but Manhattan and NYC as a whole are in deep deep trouble. There is a black hole of vacancies in the middle of the City and no one is coming back any time soon. No one is eating at restaurants, which only open to interior 25% capacity tomorrow. The financial repercussions will rival or be far worse then the 1970's. Already talking layoffs, furloughs and the start of a Financial Control Board (yes last seen in 1970).
Old 30 September 2020, 07:03 AM   #7
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I would say things are about to go off the rails.
Old 30 September 2020, 07:09 AM   #8
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Couldn't agree more.
Old 30 September 2020, 07:14 AM   #9
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Definitely not normal....
Old 30 September 2020, 07:16 AM   #10
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Where I live, everything seems completely and scarily normal.
Old 30 September 2020, 07:19 AM   #11
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
GOD I hope so. I spoke with a friend of mine in Government. He says he believes the turning point is the vaccine, that once we have it and start administering it, we will return, slowly. He points out Russia, they started with the vaccine a month or two ago and they are way ahead in recovery. Let me repeat:

GOD I hope so
Old 30 September 2020, 07:20 AM   #12
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL! I like your directness. I would be near-term inclined to agree with you. I believe “normal” may still be a year away.
Old 30 September 2020, 07:21 AM   #13
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
its super rare, people are starting to go out as restaurants and bars open but it still feels odd to go out, eating at a restaurant is weird as you have to wear a mask to enter but you take it off to eat, whats the point! I think all we can do now is to wear mask , take vitamins and stay healthy. I understand people that are going outside and enjoy after all its been 6 months. hopefully this doesnt backfire and we all go to lockdown again. it would be terrible for business.
Old 30 September 2020, 07:22 AM   #14
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by placek View Post
Took my first business trip last week since the start of Corona. Was in Chicago and the activity downtown as pretty good. Restaurants that were open were full. Went to Maple & Ash, had an excellent dinner and it was packed both inside and outside. While traveling back to Vegas, middle seats were open, but plane about 80% full otherwise. Went out to lunch on the Strip on Sunday and quite a bit of activity, with lines formed at the stores in Crystals to get in due to limited customers in store.

Have we turned a corner??
Not a chance
Old 30 September 2020, 07:22 AM   #15
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
GOD I hope so. I spoke with a friend of mine in Government. He says he believes the turning point is the vaccine, that once we have it and start administering it, we will return, slowly. He points out Russia, they started with the vaccine a month or two ago and they are way ahead in recovery. Let me repeat:

GOD I hope so
Yeah about vaccines, there are people who already don't want them and rather get polio. So good luck with that.
Old 30 September 2020, 07:22 AM   #16
alonsowwss
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
LOL! I like your directness. I would be near-term inclined to agree with you. I believe “normal” may still be a year away.
same here.
Old 30 September 2020, 07:32 AM   #17
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Yeah about vaccines, there are people who already don't want them and rather get polio. So good luck with that.
That’s their choice, I am not one of them. Frankly I can’t understand the thinking , but like I said, that’s their choice
Old 30 September 2020, 07:33 AM   #18
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Quote:
I concur.
Old 30 September 2020, 07:58 AM   #19
-dustin

Quote:
I'm with this guy.
Old 30 September 2020, 08:18 AM   #20
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

We're doomed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 30 September 2020, 08:19 AM   #21
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Abnormal is the New Normal

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 30 September 2020, 08:28 AM   #22
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
In the spring of 1918, at the beginning of the Flu Pandemic of 1918, 35,000 people in the USA died. In the fall of 1918, 195,000 US citizens died.....in October alone. Vigilance will be required to stay healthy this fall and winter until a vaccine becomes available, if that happens. Stay cautious. Be patient. This too shall pass.
Old 30 September 2020, 08:29 AM   #23
JodyHighroller
Banned

I’ve been traveling abroad recently and I’d say things are far from normal, but that society has adapted to this interim period with covid.
Old 30 September 2020, 08:31 AM   #24
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Have you seen an astroid from your telescope heading our way or something? Perhaps a psychic? Or maybe just pessimistic?

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 30 September 2020, 08:31 AM   #25
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
That’s their choice, I am not one of them. Frankly I can’t understand the thinking , but like I said, that’s their choice
Yeah but to get the virus under control and when/if there is a vaccine, everyone should be doing it.
Old 30 September 2020, 08:33 AM   #26
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
I’ve been traveling abroad recently and I’d say things are far from normal, but that society has adapted to this interim period with covid.
I travel every week. I got slowed down because I actually got Covid and had to stay home for a couple weeks but I’m out and about again. Here in Florida things have pretty much normalized. The theme parks are open and restaurants are 100% open. The only thing that’s not back to normal here is the cruise ships. I doubt very seriously that cruise lines will be back to normal for quite some time.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 30 September 2020, 08:36 AM   #27
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Have you seen an astroid from your telescope heading our way or something? Perhaps a psychic? Or maybe just pessimistic?
Agree - a lot of doom and gloom in this thread.

Maybe because we're in FL we see things differently, since nearly everything is open.

But also, the point of the thread is that we're in a new equilibrium / normal / whatever you want to to call it - we're obviously not back to the normal of pre-COVID.
Old 30 September 2020, 08:47 AM   #28
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
My rush hour commute into DC looks like a Sunday morning. Definitely not normal.
Old 30 September 2020, 08:50 AM   #29
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

offices in nyc are still closed til january (for now). traffic is back to normal but everything else is still dead
Old 30 September 2020, 08:51 AM   #30
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Things are very different on the West Coast. Not all is doom and gloom, and I definitely agree that folks are finding a “new normal”, but you guys in FL and some of the other Souther States have it a lot better than we do in terms of restrictions, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread