The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 August 2019, 12:22 AM   #61
Nayazec
"TRF" Member

i hope this is the end of it, but i don't see this happening soon honestly. the 5711 or even the 5990 and all the other models in the middle (wit not a single mode exception) have only been moving upward for 6 months and it is so easy for Patek to even reduce further the production to keep the price. what is happening now is in Patek interest for sure because it is forcing buyers to buy non nautilus. i honestly don't see a way down. at best a statu qo on current prices. i hope i am wrong. i paid high premium on 5990, but i would like to pay retail on the 5711 next year!!
Nayazec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:23 AM   #62
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayazec View Post
i paid high premium on 5990, but i would like to pay retail on the 5711 next year!!
That’s it, look at it as averaging down :)
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:26 AM   #63
Eagleeye1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I actually disagree but we are entitled to our opinions. I myself have a 3970 and no one can doubt movement finishing and complication. However- the finishing, concept and design of the Nautilus case and integrated bracelet is simply elegance personified. I saw a IWC Perpetual Calendar Chorograph Tourbillon in full yellow gold for $20k the other day. Are you really paying $130k for the "complication"?

To me the nautilus can be worn anywhere, anytime. It is the perfect watch.

To make steel (a much harder metal and harder to work with than PM) feel like silk on the wrist is no easy feat. To tone down the aggressive design of the Royal Oak and make an even more superior design (arguable I know) is a piece of design and horological history.

You are paying for arguably the most prestigious watch company in the world make you a pcc. You can find a nautilus type complication on a 500 dollar watch as well and saying it with all due respect because the I love my 5980. I bought my 5980 7 years ago at Wempe, it was just sitting in the showroom without any hype and nobody calling a feat of perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eagleeye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:32 AM   #64
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleeye1 View Post
You are paying for arguably the most prestigious watch company in the world make you a pcc. You can find a nautilus type complication on a 500 dollar watch as well and saying it with all due respect because the I love my 5980. I bought my 5980 7 years ago at Wempe, it was just sitting in the showroom without any hype and nobody calling a feat of perfection.

This is just jewelry in my mind. I think its all cool and like some of these PCC’s but my iPhone is my perpetual at the moment. To emphasize the point Eastman’s kodak use to take great pics for its time...now we’ve all moved to DSLR’s

The nautilus is here and now and has stood test of time. Until it doesn’t.
Old 19 August 2019, 12:32 AM   #65
Xerxes77
Banned

Not very soon...
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:10 AM   #66
Eagleeye1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
This is just jewelry in my mind. I think its all cool and like some of these PCC’s but my iPhone is my perpetual at the moment. To emphasize the point Eastman’s kodak use to take great pics for its time...now we’ve all moved to DSLR’s

I think this is classic front running. Everyone loves the golden state warriors as long as they are on top. Simple hype, unavailability and a bunch of flippers trying to make a buck.

Eagleeye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 01:56 AM   #67
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleeye1 View Post
I think this is classic front running. Everyone loves the golden state warriors as long as they are on top. Simple hype, unavailability and a bunch of flippers trying to make a buck.

I think they all have their time and place ...
Old 19 August 2019, 01:59 AM   #68
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

Your point about cell phones underscores and helps explain the move from the highly complicated mechanical watches to simple time and perhaps, date too watches. The PCCs are not mere jewelry but are mechanical marvels. Clearly, high end Grand Complications are not most desired watches in today's watch market.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:07 AM   #69
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:

..and on to mirrorless from DSLR
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:08 AM   #70
S``
"TRF" Member

Gotta to love the predictions of a bubble popping....

Based on wanting to own one at MSRP or less....

Predictable much?

Great "discussion" that leads to the same deep end of a rabbit hole
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:11 AM   #71
Commonproject
Banned

Quote:
Lol... that’s the side gig. I was going to retire this year.
Can I take over? The payoff in the private equity game is too delayed.
Commonproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 02:59 AM   #72
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Your point about cell phones underscores and helps explain the move from the highly complicated mechanical watches to simple time and perhaps, date too watches. The PCCs are not mere jewelry but are mechanical marvels. Clearly, high end Grand Complications are not most desired watches in today's watch market.
They told me that about the combustion engine as well ;). I’m not saying I don’t want one...I’m just being the devils advocate.

That said I’m currently waiting for the Lillium jet... forget the mid engine Corvette or the lambo...possibly a Tesla roadster....but definitley the Lilium jet.

https://lilium.com/

I use to be nostalgic... but then when I saw my 9 year old using 3 monitors, playing video game watching you tube and programming java script... it gives u a different perspective
Old 19 August 2019, 03:03 AM   #73
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Can I take over? The payoff in the private equity game is too delayed.
Lol. Grass is always greener...

I miss my LO days of doing absolutely nothing
Old 19 August 2019, 03:41 AM   #74
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
I am in agreement and think the end of this madness is over or almost over thankfully.

I long for the times when we could all enjoy the hobby

I wholeheartedly agree - and the ‘nonsense’ (IMHO) has been more detrimental to the hobby as most think.

Like with any market - It is only a matter of time before normalization starts.

What I’m curious about - is once things do start to normalize - how the ADs (that developed poor ‘practices’ will re-boot with their customers.

Just my .02

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 03:50 AM   #75
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
the reality is that the SS watches everyone wants are not rare..they are hard to get...a very big difference when the tide runs out.
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:37 AM   #76
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
What all this mean...... Too many fake rich out there.........

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:40 AM   #77
Aquaman
Banned

[QUOTE=SL BRABUS;9909044]What all this mean...... Too many fake rich out there.........

not seen that statement in a while
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 04:44 AM   #78
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
What all this mean...... Too many fake rich out there.........

Lol yup... I’m one of them :)
Old 19 August 2019, 05:40 AM   #79
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

To the opener: your post is not an honest discussion is rather provocative and arrogant.

I personally believe that in 2020 nautilus will value even more than now.

So like Depeche Mode were singing: dream on dream oooonnn
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 05:41 AM   #80
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

It’s all really quite amazing. Who would have thought this would happen? I don’t recall everybody wetting themselves over the Nautilus just 3 or 5 years ago. And go back 2 or 3 years before that and Nautilus was often even dismissed as a “meh” daily Patek beater not a “real” Patek. Now everybody gets a woodie at the mere mention of the word.

It’s a nice watch. Yes it is. Very nice actually. But let’s try to maintain some perspective vs. the current pricing frenzy. Nothing has inherently changed with the watch itself - it’s not even an especially rare piece in terms of raw production numbers. Some famous people start to fancy something different and expensive and exclusive, some younger hipsters in jeans and t-shirts start cashing out shares and want people to take notice, some well-to-do professionals get fatter bonuses and get in the mood to splurge, all of the above start flooding social media with “Me and my Nauti” pics, and before you know it Nautilus becomes the “it” watch.

It’s fascinating to watch market forces do their thing sometimes.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 05:51 AM   #81
ToneLok
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrngrz46 View Post
To the opener: your post is not an honest discussion is rather provocative and arrogant.

I personally believe that in 2020 nautilus will value even more than now.

So like Depeche Mode were singing: dream on dream oooonnn
Provocative sure, but arrogant? Puh-leaze. A bubble is a bubble is a bubble. It’s silly. Look up any bubble or frenzy that eventually burst and it’s textbook. What is arrogant - probably more accurately hubris- is the bad behavior by Patek to require anyone interested in buying at retail to have to buy a bunch of more expensive watches they don’t want and that are otherwise collecting dust on the shelves.

Last edited by ToneLok; 19 August 2019 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Typo
ToneLok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 06:23 AM   #82
Shack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLok View Post
What is arrogant - probably more accurately hubris- is the bad behavior by Patek to require anyone interested in buying at retail to have to buy a bunch of more expensive watches they don’t want and that are otherwise collecting dust on the shelves.
Ahh common practice with Ferrari, Porsche, Hermes, LV etc etc.

Engineered scarcity - I for one don't mind as I enjoy playing the game trying to get the products at RRP :) .
Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:28 AM   #83
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
What is arrogant - probably more accurately hubris- is the bad behavior by Patek to require anyone interested in buying at retail to have to buy a bunch of more expensive watches they don’t want and that are otherwise collecting dust on the shelves.
Patek don’t require this unless you are arrogant and want to jump the queue.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:38 AM   #84
ToneLok
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Patek don’t require this unless you are arrogant and want to jump the queue.
Oh c’mon. Name calling? Really? Lame. Again, the message from ADs is you can get on the list but the wait is indeterminate unless you buy a couple.
ToneLok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 07:41 AM   #85
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Oh c’mon. Name calling? Really? Lame. Again, the message from ADs is you can get on the list but the wait is indeterminate unless you buy a couple.
And? Wait.
Old 19 August 2019, 07:44 AM   #86
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Is there anyone here who purchased a nautilus more than 3 years ago and thinks it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and will continue to rise in value?

I am seriously asking.
Old 19 August 2019, 07:48 AM   #87
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
And? Wait.
Russell you don't want to be seen in public with that geezer grand comp 5370. Let me do you a favor and trade you this 2011 5711 with a horrible polish and extract papers for it so you can be cool
Old 19 August 2019, 07:56 AM   #88
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Russell you don't want to be seen in public with that geezer grand comp 5370. Let me do you a favor and trade you this 2011 5711 with a horrible polish and extract papers for it so you can be cool
Ahhhh, tempting, but NO.
Old 19 August 2019, 07:56 AM   #89
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex
Quote:
Since your love affair with Nautilus/Aquanaut runs deep and spans decades (as you said in your earlier post) I'm a little surprised why you chose to wait until now to try to get one. Hopefully you haven't succumb to the pressures of the market frenzy.

In all seriousness, while I suspect the secondary prices may come down, I really don't see these pieces becoming readily available at ADs in the future without a prior purchase history. Whether it lasts or not, I think ADs and Patek have learned some valuable market lessons from the past two years and that these pieces -- like Rolex with the Daytona -- will continue to be given to customers with established purchase histories with the brand. Especially at ADs in affluent markets, like the Bay Area.

The good news is that secondary prices may well come down such that they can be purchased in the secondary market for more modest premiums down the road.
gmstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 08:04 AM   #90
gmstevenson
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Is there anyone here who purchased a nautilus more than 3 years ago and thinks it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and will continue to rise in value?

I am seriously asking.
I suspect when the secondary prices level out and start to drop, we will see a lot more owners who purchased at retail looking to trade up into more complicated references.
gmstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5711 nautilus , 5726 nautilus , authorized dealers , grey market , speculation