The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 April 2024, 11:09 PM   #1
LockUSMC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
RSC first timer

I wanted to share that my 116710 BLNR is scheduled to complete its inaugural service this week, marking my first experience with a Rolex Service Center. As part of the service, I opted for a polishing treatment. Could anyone advise me on specific queries or checks I should make upon collecting my timepiece?
LockUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 12:33 AM   #2
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Check sharpness of lugs, step between polished centre links and brushed links on clasp, and bezel teeth, plus clasp coronet detail, case profile, squareness of crown guards. If your watch has a lot of dings / dents, they might take a lot of material off. Laser welding before polishing is an option but maybe not at RSC.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 01:48 AM   #3
Jefferyasher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockUSMC View Post
I wanted to share that my 116710 BLNR is scheduled to complete its inaugural service this week, marking my first experience with a Rolex Service Center. As part of the service, I opted for a polishing treatment. Could anyone advise me on specific queries or checks I should make upon collecting my timepiece?
I had my watch serviced by my local AD, who is also a RSC, and opted to not polish. Here are points to consider:

1). Are you the original owner? If so, you're simply replacing scratches for scratches. To me, that didn't make sense....having a "new" looking watch for a matter of days before more scratches. If you are not the original owner, it may be good to create your own "memories."

2). If there are major "dings," then they are going to remove metal to try to buff them out. That may mean a dulling of edges and angles. Sometimes that's unavoidable and sometimes it depends on the skill of the individual doing the polishing. I did not have major dents or gouges in the case or band so that was not an issue. If so, laser welding prior to a polish may be the best route.

3). I took detailed pictures of the dial, hands, case, band, caseback, chamfers, tc. to reference once I got the watch back to make sure there were no "new" scratches, gouges, or dings.

Again, just my two cents for polishing. As a side note, if you're sending it to Dallas or New York, opting out of the polish saves you $100.
Jefferyasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 04:13 AM   #4
jacowestt
"TRF" Member

That's exciting! Here are some specific queries and checks you might consider making upon collecting your Rolex after its inaugural service and polishing treatment:

1. *Service Documentation:* Ensure you receive detailed documentation outlining the work performed during the service, including any parts replaced or refurbished.

2. *Cosmetic Inspection:* Examine the watch closely for any scratches, dents, or imperfections that may have occurred during the service process, particularly since you opted for a polishing treatment.

3. *Movement Performance:* Check the accuracy of the timekeeping to ensure the movement is functioning correctly. You can compare it to a reliable time source or use a timing machine if available.

4. *Water Resistance:* If your Rolex is water-resistant, consider having the service center pressure test it to confirm its water resistance rating. This is especially important if any seals or gaskets were replaced during the service.

5. *Bracelet and Clasp:* Inspect the bracelet and clasp for any signs of wear, proper alignment, and smooth operation, especially if they were polished during the service.

6. *Crown Operation:* Test the winding, time-setting, and date-changing functions of the crown to ensure they are functioning smoothly.

7. *Lume Inspection:* If your Rolex has luminescent markers or hands, check the brightness and consistency of the lume after the service.

8. *Warranty Coverage:* Confirm the warranty coverage provided by the service center for the work performed, as well as any post-service support or follow-up procedures.

9. *Any Additional Questions:* If you have any concerns or questions about the service or your watch's performance, don't hesitate to ask the service center staff for clarification or assistance.

By conducting these checks and queries, you can ensure that your Rolex has been properly serviced and polished to your satisfaction, and that it continues to provide you with accurate timekeeping and enjoyment for years to come.
jacowestt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 03:13 PM   #5
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockUSMC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Explorer View Post
Check sharpness of lugs, step between polished centre links and brushed links on clasp, and bezel teeth, plus clasp coronet detail, case profile, squareness of crown guards. If your watch has a lot of dings / dents, they might take a lot of material off. Laser welding before polishing is an option but maybe not at RSC.
It doesn't do any good to check these things after a polish, as at that points its done.

I assume if you are posting on TRF about a service and polish that you have done your research here. Its a polarizing topic. Some value the ultra polished look of a new watch, even if some metal is removed. Some value the sharp edges and factory fresh shape, and don't care about surface scratches and small dings.

I am in the latter camp. I love the ultra sharp edges and corners of my lugs and will not be getting a polish at service. Some people want all their polished surfaces to have a mirror finish, even if the watch will only look like that a short time. My watch looks great after more than a decade, and a polish would just clean up some scratches and dings that I made, and also start to slowly change the shape of the case. Not to mention the scratches and dings will return. No thanks from this hombre.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote