The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 April 2019, 01:59 AM   #1
Roovain
"TRF" Member

A. Lange Datograph Perpetual

Since there doesn't appear to be an A. Lange chat board on this website, I thought I'd pose the question: How do the following watches compare in price, value, and quality to the equivalent Patek's: 1. the new Honey Gold Langematik, 2. the Rose Gold Datograph Perpetual. Does anyone out there have either of these two watches yet? And if so, how do they compare to the equivalent Patek's? I've heard that when it comes to chronographs, Lange is the king. Is that considered true? Thanks for your responses.
Roovain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 02:07 AM   #2
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I think King is a relative term. If you're looking for sheer stunning beauty in the movement - go for Lange and FP Journe.

I think Patek balances the line between slimness, elegance, and awesome finishing well. Lange is very "aggressive" in finishing with hard lines and germaic design. It is very masculine and their cases are larger and thicker and unabashed.

Journe is more like Patek but the designs are more innovative and new-generation thinking.

Patek is the classic to me.

The 1815 chronograph is really nice. Datograph is a bit thick and pot bellied but is magnificent.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 03:42 AM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roovain View Post
I've heard that when it comes to chronographs, Lange is the king. Is that considered true? Thanks for your responses.
https://quillandpad.com/2018/06/16/s...s-perspective/
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:37 AM   #4
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Great read, thanks!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:50 AM   #5
metdrdg
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSDayt, 5711, 5170
Another comparison.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...harmony-review
metdrdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:21 AM   #6
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Lange has beautiful movements for sure, but imo the cases are sub optimal. Often too thick, and even the slimmer ones seem thicker because of the design. Amazing watches though
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 12:42 PM   #7
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Lange makes a lovely watch. Of course you can expect breathtaking devaluation as soon as you strap it on. So you better love it.
Old 21 April 2019, 07:48 PM   #8
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Lange makes a lovely watch. Of course you can expect breathtaking devaluation as soon as you strap it on. So you better love it.
yes, this.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:42 PM   #9
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I love the "idea" of ALS, but always find them way too thick for me in person. They are beautiful though.

For future reference, I believe most ALS discussions are posted here: "Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum."
Old 21 April 2019, 10:48 PM   #10
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
As others have said, if movement decoration is priority, the Lange has an edge but I don't see the PP being very far behind. In terms of case design, comfort, dial visual appeal, resale value etc PP holds the advantage. So the "King designation" for Lange is imho very subjective.

Anyway, the 5170P blows every manual winding chronograph out of the water imo including Lange. But yeah, as an existing owner, I am biased.

Bottom line, get what you like.
Old 22 April 2019, 06:55 AM   #11
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
As others have said, if movement decoration is priority, the Lange has an edge but I don't see the PP being very far behind. In terms of case design, comfort, dial visual appeal, resale value etc PP holds the advantage. So the "King designation" for Lange is imho very subjective.

Anyway, the 5170P blows every manual winding chronograph out of the water imo including Lange. But yeah, as an existing owner, I am biased.

Mmmm, it’s Okay
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 07:55 AM   #12
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

It is interesting that in most reviews at some point the larger size of a chrono ALS compared to the equivalent PP is mentioned - I know from personal experience that both the DS and TS do not work for me on the wrist and can tend be feel top heavy. As a comparison the standard Dato up/down is the same size as the rattrapante PP and appears even larger on the wrist due to the case design.

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:14 PM   #13
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I love the "idea" of ALS, but always find them way too thick for me in person. They are beautiful though.

For future reference, I believe most ALS discussions are posted here: "Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum."
Agree with that. I tried the Datograph on and it felt unbalanced. Way too thick making it look awkward to my eyes. Not for me.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:22 PM   #14
ragsk
Banned

Quote:

Bottom line is that 5170P is stunning
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:37 AM   #15
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Funny how people insist the Lange are thicker. It is in reality more of an optical illusion because of the more masculine styling of the Lange case. When you compare apples to apples Lange is usually not thicker for the mainstream pieces. It is not until you get to very high complications that you see any significant difference. Especially when comparing apples to apples.

For example:
1815 Chronograph is thinner than the 5170. That despite also having a flyback function. The datograph is thicker, but only because it has the big date which adds thickness.

The Saxonia annual Calendar is significantly thinner than all of the Patek annual calendars at 9.8MM. The 5396 is 11.2mm, 5146 is 11.5, 5205 is 13.5mm thick. That despite having more features--namely the back date and the zero reset function. Incidentally, IMHO the 38.5 I'm the Lange is the sweet spot for that case design.

5327 perpetual is 9.9 vs langematic perpetual which is 10.2 but has the big date (double disks) and zero reset, and a single pusher adjustment for all the date functions.

As the watches get more complicated Patek seems to do a better job of being thinner. For example, the Datograph perpetual 14.6 is vs the 5270 which is 12.4. Also the Patek 5370 is an amazing 13.56 vs the Lange double sit which is 15.3.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 07:07 AM   #16
mmancari
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ap Diver 5513Rolex
I would take a look are FP journe’s CHRONOGRAPHE MONOPOUSSOIR RATTRAPANTE . Might be the grail of grails. In platinum
mmancari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 07:37 AM   #17
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by galtinuk View Post
Funny how people insist the Lange are thicker. It is in reality more of an optical illusion because of the more masculine styling of the Lange case. When you compare apples to apples Lange is usually not thicker for the mainstream pieces. It is not until you get to very high complications that you see any significant difference. Especially when comparing apples to apples.

For example:
1815 Chronograph is thinner than the 5170. That despite also having a flyback function. The datograph is thicker, but only because it has the big date which adds thickness.

The Saxonia annual Calendar is significantly thinner than all of the Patek annual calendars at 9.8MM. The 5396 is 11.2mm, 5146 is 11.5, 5205 is 13.5mm thick. That despite having more features--namely the back date and the zero reset function. Incidentally, IMHO the 38.5 I'm the Lange is the sweet spot for that case design.

5327 perpetual is 9.9 vs langematic perpetual which is 10.2 but has the big date (double disks) and zero reset, and a single pusher adjustment for all the date functions.

As the watches get more complicated Patek seems to do a better job of being thinner. For example, the Datograph perpetual 14.6 is vs the 5270 which is 12.4. Also the Patek 5370 is an amazing 13.56 vs the Lange double sit which is 15.3.

It’s not just thickness it’s comfort. I owned a platinum DS as well as multiple platinum Dato’s and Patek chrono’s are ten times more comfortable. In fact the DS was the worst watch I ever owned when it came to comfort. The crystal protruding from the back of the case with that hefty case were awful. Again super cool looking watch with killer movement but man in the comfort department it stunk. So not about size as I wear 44mm AP’s and larger Rolex but all about comfort!

So for me Patek wins over ALS all day long for those very reasons.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 08:14 AM   #18
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

I suppose everyone has different preferences and what is comfortable for them.

Point is though that in terms of thickness (a non subjective measure) you have to compare apples to apples.

Curious why someone would own multiple Platinum datographs?

Old 15 May 2019, 08:25 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think the Lange perpetual in honey gold should be awesome. But it is only available at 85K list price as a special edition and I would expect a steep decline in after sale value given these watches generally sell in the high 40's to low 50's used in gold and platinum.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 10:40 AM   #20
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
There are a few Lange threads created in the "Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum" FYI.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 03:38 PM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Curious why someone would own multiple Platinum datographs?

The dato has been a go to in fine watches for years and HL65 has been collecting fine watches for a long time.

If you’re wondering what a certain watch might be like ask him nicely. Good chance he’s owned it
Old 15 May 2019, 04:27 PM   #22
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The dato has been a go to in fine watches for years and HL65 has been collecting fine watches for a long time.

If you’re wondering what a certain watch might be like ask him nicely. Good chance he’s owned it
I don't have any questions about how spectacular the Datograph is. That is self explanatory if you have spent any time with it or even seen a pic--just take one look at the movement. Dufour bought that watch for a reason! And, on watches, I think his judgement is "pretty good" ;-)

That is not what I am asking. Just genuinely curious about a more obvious question. Namely, as spectacular as the Date is, why someone would buy multiples of the same watch--a platinum Datograph. Particularly if they don't find the watch comfortable?

Of course if you are trading/dealing/speculating obviously that is one thing. Or maybe if you bought and sold and wished you didn't etc. And, indeed, perhaps he didn't mean multiple Platinum Datos simultaneously.

But as a collector I am curious why you would want multiples of the same watch when you could instead add a piece that is different. There are certain watches I love, but certainly don't want the same watch in the same metal with the same dial more than one copy...I only can wear one at a time..

Not making any judgement, to each their own. But just curious why?
Old 15 May 2019, 07:06 PM   #23
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
I don't have any questions about how spectacular the Datograph is. That is self explanatory if you have spent any time with it or even seen a pic--just take one look at the movement. Dufour bought that watch for a reason! And, on watches, I think his judgement is "pretty good" ;-)

That is not what I am asking. Just genuinely curious about a more obvious question. Namely, as spectacular as the Date is, why someone would buy multiples of the same watch--a platinum Datograph. Particularly if they don't find the watch comfortable?

Of course if you are trading/dealing/speculating obviously that is one thing. Or maybe if you bought and sold and wished you didn't etc. And, indeed, perhaps he didn't mean multiple Platinum Datos simultaneously.

But as a collector I am curious why you would want multiples of the same watch when you could instead add a piece that is different. There are certain watches I love, but certainly don't want the same watch in the same metal with the same dial more than one copy...I only can wear one at a time..

Not making any judgement, to each their own. But just curious why?
Let me help you out as you clearly didn't read my post correctly. Nowhere did I say I owned multiple Dato's simultaneously so not sure how you extrapolated that from my post. Nor did I say the Dato was uncomfortable anywhere in my post. I said Patek chronos are ten times more comfortable than ALS which is my opinion so sorry if it differs from yours.

What I did say was the DS was the most uncomfortable watch I have ever owned as it was.

So why did I own the Dato more than once in my collecting life? I bought it years ago and never bonded with it 100%. I always felt it was too thick for it's size and the proportions were just off. I sold it but then decided years later to give it another try. After trying it again I came up with same conclusion - a watch I wanted to love due to it's incredible looks but just didn't.

So yes to each his own...

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 07:32 PM   #24
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Let me help you out as you clearly didn't read my post correctly. Nowhere did I say I owned multiple Dato's simultaneously so not sure how you extrapolated that from my post. Nor did I say the Dato was uncomfortable anywhere in my post. I said Patek chronos are ten times more comfortable than ALS which is my opinion so sorry if it differs from yours.

What I did say was the DS was the most uncomfortable watch I have ever owned as it was.

So why did I own the Dato more than once in my collecting life? I bought it years ago and never bonded with it 100%. I always felt it was too thick for it's size and the proportions were just off. I sold it but then decided years later to give it another try. After trying it again I came up with same conclusion - a watch I wanted to love due to it's incredible looks but just didn't.

So yes to each his own...
Thanks for "helping me out".

I read your post correctly it just was not clear and could have multiple interpretations. Most of which I listed..including the exact reason you gave. Namely you came back to the watch.

A reason I can understand as I too have regretted parting with watches but then found that parting was the right decision after much expense and time wasted. Off the wrist is just not the same as on unfortunately.

It sounds like you are a bit offended or at least surprised your post would have more than one interpretation or that someone would extrapolate. I find that most posts written quickly on forums are open to both mutliple interpretations--mine included and even yours.

I don't think it is bad when people ask for clarification because it gives the poster an opportunity to be clear and often answers questions other participants may wonder themselves. Isn't that what makes a forum tick? Sorry, terrible pun--cuold not resist.

Old 15 May 2019, 09:25 PM   #25
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Thanks for "helping me out".

I read your post correctly it just was not clear and could have multiple interpretations. Most of which I listed..including the exact reason you gave. Namely you came back to the watch.

A reason I can understand as I too have regretted parting with watches but then found that parting was the right decision after much expense and time wasted. Off the wrist is just not the same as on unfortunately.

It sounds like you are a bit offended or at least surprised your post would have more than one interpretation or that someone would extrapolate. I find that most posts written quickly on forums are open to both mutliple interpretations--mine included and even yours.

I don't think it is bad when people ask for clarification because it gives the poster an opportunity to be clear and often answers questions other participants may wonder themselves. Isn't that what makes a forum tick? Sorry, terrible pun--cuold not resist.

Come on now, you were insinuating that maybe Ken was trading or speculating so he was right to give you a bit of a serving. You could have asked your question in a much friendlier manner, which I highly recommend you do if you like this forum.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 09:29 PM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
For me Lange is the king of chronos, Patek the king of PCCs. I just can't quite get the right config on the Dato, I love the Romans but not the 39mm size, and with weak resale the watch has to be just right for me now, don't want to be chopping and changing.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 09:35 PM   #27
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Come on now, you were insinuating that maybe Ken was trading or speculating so he was right to give you a bit of a serving. You could have asked your question in a much friendlier manner, which I highly recommend you do if you like this forum.
"Come on now"..I was not insinuating that at all. In fact it is completely the wrong assumption that I think it is wrong to speculate or trade. Why is that a bad thing?

If I came across unfriendly I apologize but that was not the intent.

Finally my manner was certainly more friendly and definitely less condescending than something like: "let me help you out".

Where is the rude sentence in the following that you "highly recommend" I be more friendly about?

"I suppose everyone has different preferences and what is comfortable for them.

Point is though that in terms of thickness (a non subjective measure) you have to compare apples to apples.

Curious why someone would own multiple Platinum datographs?"

Old 16 May 2019, 02:35 AM   #28
leisen
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I fully agree.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 06:37 AM   #29
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Definitely nice, love the blue dial. Speaking of blue dials, had the opportunity to try the 5172 yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised. I did not think I would like the increased size or case design.

In the flesh, the case wears very nicely and has quite interesting lines. Also, the syringe hands are much nicer in person than in the pics I have seen. The lume on them works really well too. The dial also looks much better in person in sort of a dusty matte blue.

Old 17 May 2019, 05:47 AM   #30
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisen View Post
I fully agree.
I replied to someone estate in my post by accident...